Author Topic: Windows Mobile 6 compatibility?  (Read 4537 times)

Offline jhasty01

• View Profile
Windows Mobile 6 compatibility?
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:43:38 am »
Just wondering if I could load javaop off my phone, or if there is a different bot that someone may know of which contains this technology.

Thanks you,
John

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: Windows Mobile 6 compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:46:15 am »
I don't believe so, nor do I know of one that you could.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:40:32 am »
There are some JVMs for WM, but none of them have a full implementation of Swing. Even if they did, you probably wouldn't have enough RAM anyways.

You could try to design a custom light-weight bot for WM.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 02:13:27 pm »
There are some JVMs for WM, but none of them have a full implementation of Swing. Even if they did, you probably wouldn't have enough RAM anyways.

You could try to design a custom light-weight bot for WM.

On that topic, my WM6 Motorola q9c has a hard time running any applications in general. The JVM for WM6 bogs down my phone so much I don't think I could run anything else efficiently on it.

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 02:58:10 pm »
Try uninstalling apps you don't use, particularly ones that depend on a .NET framework newer than the one that came as part of your phone's ROM, and keep everything you possibly can on a storage card. WM tends to keep most of the 'internal' filesystem in RAM, particularly when a file is open for writing (presumably to avoid frying the internal flash, since that would irreversibly brick the phone).

I'm not sure whether or not WM has support for virtual memory, but if it does, then the only place for it to page to is flash. Basically, installing files on the internal flash is just asking for trouble.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 03:00:28 pm »
Try uninstalling apps you don't use, particularly ones that depend on a .NET framework newer than the one that came as part of your phone's ROM, and keep everything you possibly can on a storage card. WM tends to keep most of the 'internal' filesystem in RAM, particularly when a file is open for writing (presumably to avoid frying the internal flash, since that would irreversibly brick the phone).

I'm not sure whether or not WM has support for virtual memory, but if it does, then the only place for it to page to is flash. Basically, installing files on the internal flash is just asking for trouble.

Believe it or not, it is on internal flash. I have no memory stick plugged into the phone. But still, i would assume even if I get a large microsd card, I would have the same output?

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:34:58 pm »
Does it matter?  You can get a 2gb SanDisk MicroSD card off Amazon for $6.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 01:15:31 am »
i would assume even if I get a large microsd card, I would have the same output?

Did you read my post? Yes, it will make all the difference in the world.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:52:54 pm »
i would assume even if I get a large microsd card, I would have the same output?

Did you read my post? Yes, it will make all the difference in the world.

2gb micro sd card and still the same results. I terminated all other processes on my phone minus the JVM, the core components, and BNUBot. Still no go. Freezes up phone instantly. Maybe i'll try with a buddies 4gb card.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 02:08:05 pm »
Simply putting in a blank SD card will have no effect. You have to free up as much space on the internal flash as possible - the SD card is simply a catalyst for that action, because it allows you to do so without deleting the files. With an SD card inserted, you're given the option to install programs (from CAB installers) on the SD card rather than on internal flash, and you should always do that when possible (there are some poorly written programs that refuse to work in that way).

In any case, even if you wiped the internal flash clean, you still wouldn't have enough RAM to run BNUBot, so you shouldn't bother trying. The lower limit for running it functionally is something like 42MB, but that would cause nearly constant collections, so it would absolutely crawl. I wouldn't recommend attempting to run it with less than 64MB of available application memory, with peak performance at around 100MB.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!