Author Topic: No Wireless :'(  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
No Wireless :'(
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:09:41 am »
So, I'm trying to get my desktop connected to the AP here, but it can't seem to find it. This laptop with an Intel 3495ABG seems to work ok (2-3 out of 5 bars) although a bit slow. However, the desktop had an Asus PCI WiFi card (Ralink RT2560) but couldn't see it at all. I played with the antenna and made it show up once when it was tilted 45 degrees hanging from the corner of my computer, but that's about it. According to the information given by Vista, it supports 802.11n so I got a Airlink AWLH6070 150N (Ralink RT2860). This one can't find it either. What's irritating is that it does see 2 AP's with 4 bars that this laptop sees with only 3. Is Ralink really that shitty or is something else weird going on. I played with antennas a bunch and the laptop is right next to my desktop.

Oh, on a side note: PCI vs USB wireless adapter, which is better?
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: No Wireless :'(
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:47:49 am »
Call your network admin department. I know at most UC campuses you have to register with their network for each connection, etc. I'm sure they can help you get the best connectivity you can.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:56:29 am »
Don't you start Berkeley in December? :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 08:43:23 am »

I'm sure the 54Mbps bottleneck is going to hit you way before either PCI or USB, so I'd say they're equal. Which do you more more spare slots for?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 09:31:51 am »
ralink is actually a pretty good chipset.  That doesn't say much about the drivers though...
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 10:32:08 am »
Call your network admin department. I know at most UC campuses you have to register with their network for each connection, etc. I'm sure they can help you get the best connectivity you can.
Not on campus
No
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:07:37 am »
I'm sure the 54Mbps bottleneck is going to hit you way before either PCI or USB, so I'd say they're equal. Which do you more more spare slots for?

Just be aware that USB 1.0 "full-speed" is only 12Mbps, and Windows is notorious for misrepresenting USB 2.0 "compatible" devices for devices "operating in" said mode. I'd still recommend going with USB (for the simple reason that it's more portable), but make sure you actually verify you're getting your 54Mbps.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 01:51:36 pm »
Not on campus
No

What happened to late admission? :O
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 04:26:41 pm »
Fall Program for Freshman.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 04:46:40 pm »
Oh nice. UCSD had one of those too. Davis doesn't though!

And I say go with PCI. USB is nice if you don't want to have it plugged in all the time, but a card is there whenever you need it. :P
- Newby

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 06:44:40 pm »
So frustrating, I'm about to move the whole damn computer around to find a connection ><!!

Edit: Ok apparently the AP is downstairs, and I'm upstairs, so bleh. Mad props to Intel for making a chip that is amazing. I've tried 3 different cards with no luck (even plugging on usb one into the laptop) but this Intel 3945ABG gets a steady connection :D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:20:30 pm by Ergot »

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 08:11:09 pm »
Another advantage to having a USB card is that it doesn't reside inside of a faraday cage :P

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!