Author Topic: Dividing a restaurant bill using mechanism design  (Read 3821 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Dividing a restaurant bill using mechanism design
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:38:27 am »
http://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2008/01/29/game-theory-tuesdays-dividing-a-restaurant-bill/

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it sounds promising.

<edit> IMO, the person's solution is crazy. I can't tell whether or not it's supposed to be a joke. :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:53:41 am by iago »

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
Re: Dividing a restaurant bill using mechanism design
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:56:35 am »
It does sound good, but it also doesn't seem very well mannered. I admit the problem is legitimate, and since I always order water I can see how drinks make it even more unfair. But at the same time I see it as kind of rude to give people a limited menu on what they can order.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:13:52 pm »
Yeah, I always get water and don't drink alcohol, so I often get screwed by the "dividing evenly" idea. Luckily, we only divide evenly if we've had roughly the same thing (my friend gets a drink and I get dessert or something).

Generally, we just put in something that's more than what we fairly owe, and leave whatever excess is there as a tip (that sometimes results in a 25% - 50% tip, but eh?)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 08:51:43 am »
Over tipping is a good idea at places you visit regularly, because then the servers will remember "that guy('s party) always tips great.  Let's treat him well."  Anyway, divide evenly has always worked well for me, since I don't really go to upscale places and we usually go at happy hour anyways.  His method is like......weird.  I can understand doing it for a birthday party or whatever, but not for every time you go out socially.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 03:40:31 pm »
I dont understand the concept of "splitting the bill."  Everytime I've ever been out we do separate checks, pitch for what we got, or just one person pays.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 04:15:02 pm »
You don't understand the concept of splitting the bill?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 11:10:33 am »
*understand why you would do it

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 11:13:45 am »
Did you not read the article? The whole first half is about the situations when the problem arises.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 12:12:28 pm »
I did.  I just dont understand why people would ever split the bill equally.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 12:43:16 pm »
My group of friends has always done the "pay what you ordered" method, and it usually works out with enough tax and tip. However, sometimes we'll come up short, especially in big parties where there could be some random people. If it's not too much trouble or we know the server personally, we'll ask for separate checks. I have never even considered splitting the bill evenly, makes no sense whatsoever..

The solution presented in the article is outrageous. Who would want to go to a dinner, and be further limited by the options they can choose just because it makes it a little easier to pay? I'll pay for my meal, you pay for yours (you cheapskate), and we won't have an issue and I can eat what I want.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 02:32:02 pm »
I have never even considered splitting the bill evenly, makes no sense whatsoever..
We've done it a few times, normally when we all get close to the same thing and we want to make it easy for everybody.

The solution presented in the article is outrageous. Who would want to go to a dinner, and be further limited by the options they can choose just because it makes it a little easier to pay? I'll pay for my meal, you pay for yours (you cheapskate), and we won't have an issue and I can eat what I want.
Yeah, I assumed it was a joke at first, it's pretty out there. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 02:41:31 pm »
I have never even considered splitting the bill evenly, makes no sense whatsoever..
We've done it a few times, normally when we all get close to the same thing and we want to make it easy for everybody.

Wow, even when we all pitch for pizza and/or beer it isnt equal pitches.  Some eat/drink more, so they pitch more.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 03:06:53 pm »

Wow, even when we all pitch for pizza and/or beer it isnt equal pitches.  Some eat/drink more, so they pitch more.

With a pizza, it's a little different. In that case, you're usually sharing with good friends, who usually don't mind helping eachother out. I've had situations where people pay per slice, or per beer, but that's kinda lame. Most of the time we just all pitch in before we buy the pizza, and eat what we feel like.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 03:38:27 pm »

Well, say four of us go out and get two large pizzas (doesn't apply anymore because people seem to dislike cheeseless pizzas, but whatever). We all eat half, two people get a drink, the other two get a dessert. On average, we all had about the same. Or, two people split an appetizer and two people get drinks or desserts. We used to do that all the time, we'd agree that we all get about half a pizza and one "extra" (and if somebody didn't get an extra, they knew they were paying more). It generally worked out.

Plus, what's $5 or so among friends? As long as somebody isn't actively trying to screw the others, which we don't, it works out.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 04:40:31 pm »
Yeah, if it's about the same I can understand.  But $30 steak vs. $7 salad?  Why split evenly?