Author Topic: How do I politely correct my professor?  (Read 8995 times)

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
Re: How do I politely correct my professor?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 09:32:39 pm »
I think Craz3d has a crush on this professor.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 09:34:43 pm »
I'm sure it's different in CS/Math, but when I suspect there's been a mistake, I usually approach the situation as if I suspect I'm wrong.  I ask the professor "so if this and this are true, wouldn't that mean that this is true?  Where am I going wrong?"
That's exactly what I do.  I've never had a problem with a teacher getting upset if I correct them.  They are usually very thankful that someone noticed a mistake.  Don't forget that your professors are human and they make mistakes just like everyone else.

C'mon guys, grow some balls. Don't be that shy about it. Just say straight up: "is that supposed to be [blah]?" You have to be polite but it's more important to be thrifty with time and not go through this lengthy exculpating process. The only time you should cite your reasoning is to benefit yourself, that way if you're wrong in correcting him, you'll be able to see where you went wrong.

If it's in the middle of class, those are exactly the words I use ("is that supposed to be <x>?").

You're an annoying prick sometimes, ender :P

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 09:38:38 pm »
I'm sure it's different in CS/Math, but when I suspect there's been a mistake, I usually approach the situation as if I suspect I'm wrong.  I ask the professor "so if this and this are true, wouldn't that mean that this is true?  Where am I going wrong?"
That's exactly what I do.  I've never had a problem with a teacher getting upset if I correct them.  They are usually very thankful that someone noticed a mistake.  Don't forget that your professors are human and they make mistakes just like everyone else.

C'mon guys, grow some balls. Don't be that shy about it. Just say straight up: "is that supposed to be [blah]?" You have to be polite but it's more important to be thrifty with time and not go through this lengthy exculpating process. The only time you should cite your reasoning is to benefit yourself, that way if you're wrong in correcting him, you'll be able to see where you went wrong.
Maybe if I am taking a test and I think there needs to be a correction somewhere, but not when I am having a private conversation with a professor.  The times I have seen/heard other students say that they always come off as cocky and the professor just gets annoyed with them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:50:42 pm by AntiVirus »
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 10:09:38 pm »
Maybe if I am taking a test and I think there needs to be a correction somewhere, but not when I am having a private conversation with a professor.  The times I have seen/heard other students say that they always come off as cocky and the professor just gets annoyed with them.
Heh, my best friend got yelled at by one of our nicest teachers for saying he was wrong. It was hilarious. :)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 10:21:15 pm »
Heh, my best friend got yelled at by one of our nicest teachers for saying he was wrong. It was hilarious. :)

Lol, that's hilarious.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 02:04:23 am »
My digital systems professor encourages the students to point out mistakes on his powerpoints, for every mistake we find, he'll add 1 extra point to their next exam grade :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 11:55:09 am »
My digital systems professor encourages the students to point out mistakes on his powerpoints, for every mistake we find, he'll add 1 extra point to their next exam grade :)

Haha, that's pretty cool.

Most of my professors like getting things like that corrected, because it helps them out in the future.  I don't think I've had one that's given extra credit for it, though. :(

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 03:05:51 am »
I dont need the points.

She is a young teacher (completed her PhD over the summer at University of Denver, walks this Saturday), and I want her to become a more effective teacher.

No wonder you're being so selfless! You want to get laid!

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 03:07:29 am »
I think Craz3d has a crush on this professor.

Haha, I made my post without reading yours. I guess it's true, great minds (trolls) think alike.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 07:32:48 pm »
On a sidenote, I revise what I originally said -- don't even bother trying to correct her. The way you argue, you're more likely to convince her that she's actually right.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 07:37:52 pm »
On a sidenote, I revise what I originally said -- don't even bother trying to correct her. The way you argue, you're more likely to convince her that she's actually right.

OOoooh,  way to attack me personally out of no where.

I'm glad you're such an upstanding person with great moral character.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 07:42:10 pm »
Haha, out of nowhere? You seriously need to read your post history.

Face it, you suck at arguing.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 08:20:58 pm »
lol

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 09:47:05 pm »

Hahaha. It was a joke. Uncalled for and unnecessary, but I still lol'd. I don't get upset when people call me the anti-poon virgin that can't get laid.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 10:23:03 pm »

Hahaha. It was a joke. Uncalled for and unnecessary, but I still lol'd. I don't get upset when people call me the anti-poon virgin that can't get laid.

Yes, but that wouldn't be a joke.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling