Author Topic: Interested in Joining  (Read 8106 times)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
Interested in Joining
« on: February 20, 2009, 05:32:13 pm »
Why?  I've been involved in this type of community for 11 years.  It's part of my history.  I can relate to many of the people here.  I was friends with some of those who started this clan, and I've become friends with others who later joined.  I take an interest in this community, and I'd like to stay in touch as it continues to change.

But I also have one more reason, which I'll explain shortly.  First of all, this post probably comes as a surprise to many of you. There are people who will probably vote no, because I've had my share of fights. All I can say, is that despite appearances, I'm usually well meaning.  I do what I think has an overall positive impact, and I'm also quite honest.  This is a variation on the "ends justify the means".  For example, if I thought I could save one intelligent animal, even indirectly, in exchange for people disliking me, I would do it.  If I thought I could save someones life from a failed marriage, at the expense of that person hating me, I might give it a try.  I am not always right, and of course, I will not always succeed, but I do what I think will most likely have the best end result, based on my subjective assessments.  And if I had to choose between being able to express myself freely and honestly, or being a phony in order to join a clan, I'd choose free speech and honesty.

In making this request, I'm gambling on the fact I really didn't have to make that choice.  In the real world, that's not usually how it works.  You have to follow a protocol.  You have to have a certain etiquette. You have to be dishonest, to some extent.  You have to play the system.  And this brings me to my final reason.  I'm hoping this community is different.  I'm hoping that it's not like a presidential election.  It's just a place where people can freely speak their minds, as long as the underlying intentions are usually good.  If nothing else, this provokes discussion and makes things more interesting.

So, I have leader approval.  I'd prefer that this thread isn't locked once voting has started, because people might have questions, and a public response might be of interest to others with the same questions.  And I won't take offense at a 'no' vote, so don't worry about that.  :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:13:02 pm by Rule »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in Joining
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 06:25:52 pm »
I'd like to point out the public can't comment in here, only x86 members and the original poster.

But I do approve of you joining and would vote yes, as you've helped me out countless times and I do feel you'd contribute positively to x86 and I think we could even try to help you out at some point.

Many may not see you in the same light that I do, but I figure if nothing else, I would say yes on a vote to your joining, and I usually refrain from taking an opinion on votes such as these. Take that as you will.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:28:41 pm »
Me and Rule don't always see eye to eye (he says it's ok to hurt fish! BASTARD!!! ;) ), but I didn't hesitate to give approval. :)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:48:23 pm »
Yes.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 06:48:41 pm »

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 06:51:28 pm »
One man's sabotage is another man's poetic justice.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 08:58:02 pm »
There's clearly a "right answer" here and that is "Yes".

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 09:08:27 pm »
Me and Rule don't always see eye to eye (he says it's ok to hurt fish! BASTARD!!! ;) ), but I didn't hesitate to give approval. :)

Me and Rule?

I'm going to pull a grammar nazi here and say--

FAIL!

Only because you do it so often yourself :)

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:28:48 pm »
I do not remember if we've ever had a debate on this forum, and even if we have it wouldn't affect my decision.. however I am hesitant to vote purely on the conversations I see that you have with others.  I have not really had a personal conversation with you, and thus it's pretty hard to judge..
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 10:51:48 pm »
i soinr know yuou but you deem okay.  id vbote yes

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 11:22:36 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement. :)

I'd be happy to chat with anyone who has questions, or who would like to know more about me.  If you send me a PM we can arrange a time that works for both of us.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:38:21 pm by Rule »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 02:33:18 am »
i soinr know yuou but you deem okay.  id vbote yes

lol :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 05:24:29 pm »
LOL @ rabbit.

Well, I see iago and Newby's approval. I'm not sure if Newby's counts, but if it does, congrats on getting a vote in less than an hour (56 minutes, new record?).

Also, I'll be voting yes.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 09:51:20 pm »
I'm giving him my approval, but I'm not a leader. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.