Author Topic: iaaaagoooo  (Read 11368 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
iaaaagoooo
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:39:42 pm »
it's been too long since we've talked, this makes me sad.

<3
Ender

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: iaaaagoooo
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:50:40 pm »
Allow me to reply with.............
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2009/08/ultimate-vegan-hot-wingz.html

Just made/had those. Yum!

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:56:48 pm »

Those actually look fairly appeasing :P

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 08:59:00 pm »

Ah, veganism.

I came, I saw, I conquered, ...

I left.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:23:10 pm »
Vegans are pretty pathetic.  If they're going to be damn vegans and self-righteous about not eating meat, they shouldn't try to make their food look or resemble meat foods... damn posers.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 11:38:00 pm »
Vegans are pretty pathetic.  If they're going to be damn vegans and self-righteous about not eating meat, they shouldn't try to make their food look or resemble meat foods... damn posers.
I think you're missing the point of not eating meat -- typically vegans (and some vegetarians) don't eat meat because it's cruel and causes unnecessary suffering (or whatever -- this isn't the time to argue about the reasons, been there/done that), not necessarily because they dislike the taste (I definitely fit into that category). So, there's nothing morally wrong with eating meat substitutes.

That being said, besides the fact that most meat substitutes suck, and that they're generally highly processed and nearly as bad for you as meat would be, they're just plain unnecessary. The only time I eat a store-bought meat substitute that actually (supposedly) looks/tastes/whatever like meat, it's normally when I'm cooking for a non-vegan or I'm at an event like a BBQ where it's just easier.

THAT being said, the recipe I posted isn't even supposed to be like meat, it's just named after it. If you read the first paragraph, VeganDad says, "While they won't fool anyone into thinking they are actually chicken, I think they will go over well with vegans and omnis alike." It's basically battered dough in hotsauce -- not a substitute at all.

And that isn't alone -- there are a lot of things I eat that are named after meat dishes, but that actually aren't. For example, 'tempah burgers' taste nothing like burgers, it's more like mushrooms. And veggie burgers from my favourite local restaurant also taste nothing like hamburgers, but they do taste way better (not just my opinion, I've heard the same thing from veggies/omnis alike).

So yeah, I hope that made sense. What it comes down to is, there's nothing wrong with vegans/vegetarians eating fake meat, but it shouldn't be necessary, and in any case that dish isn't intended to be a meat substitute.

<edit> also, it's *really* hard not to be self righteous when you see people who are twisted around in hypocrisy, who both love animals but are ok with killing them and eating their flesh (as long as it's abstracted away). It kills me when somebody won't watch a movie where an animal appears to be harmed, but are ok with eating a pepperoni/bacon pizza. I generally keep my mouth shut, but it's difficult!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:46:26 pm by iago »

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 12:28:37 am »
And that isn't alone -- there are a lot of things I eat that are named after meat dishes, but that actually aren't.
Hypocrite! You're absolutely supporting carnivorism by eating food that is named after meat! For example, when I read the title of that recipe (Ultimate Vegan Hot Wingz), I had a craving for meat, and I acted on the craving by ordering buffalo chicken wings from my favorite local pizza shop. While I was at it, I also got my favorite pizza (meat lovers - yum!).

[edit] Oh yeah, and I didn't tip the delivery boy cause I wasn't in one of those "cruelty-free" moods.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:31:43 am by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 03:32:14 am »
lol, you need to work on them trolling skills, Camel.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:29:35 am »
And that isn't alone -- there are a lot of things I eat that are named after meat dishes, but that actually aren't.
Hypocrite! You're absolutely supporting carnivorism by eating food that is named after meat! For example, when I read the title of that recipe (Ultimate Vegan Hot Wingz), I had a craving for meat, and I acted on the craving by ordering buffalo chicken wings from my favorite local pizza shop. While I was at it, I also got my favorite pizza (meat lovers - yum!).

[edit] Oh yeah, and I didn't tip the delivery boy cause I wasn't in one of those "cruelty-free" moods.
I have no control over what others do. If somebody is going to live a cruel lifestyle, I can't stop them.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 09:39:50 am »
For what it's worth, I don't mind being called on things, as long as it's fair. Especially with vegan stuff -- the more people give you a hard time, the better you get at defending it. See My Mom is Vegetarian; I Dare You to Make Fun of Her!

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 10:21:48 am »
So if we make fun of you you're saying you'll just teach us until we cave?  When did vegans = Scientologists?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 10:39:55 am »
So if we make fun of you you're saying you'll just teach us until we cave?  When did vegans = Scientologists?
Have you considered trying to make sense?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 11:54:54 am »
I'm fine with vegans.  I think it's cool that they make non-trivial personal sacrifices for moral reasons, but it deeply annoys me when they try to deliver sermons to me on why I should be a vegan too.

I'm not saying I invariably disagree with the arguments, but I am saying that they have a real tendency to be annoyingly poor ethos arguments.  I relate them to religious arguments.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 06:03:34 pm »

Yeah, meat lovers pizza is gross.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 06:57:41 pm »

Yeah, meat lovers pizza is gross.

Camel:

Care to join Trolls & Co.?