Author Topic: @Vegetarians  (Read 7284 times)

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
@Vegetarians
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:56:29 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiIEsWTk6gk

He may be a comedian, but has valid points.

Edit:  It starts about a minute into it.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: @Vegetarians
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 10:16:19 pm »
I like his counter to the whole "meat eaters are contributing to global warming! zomg!"
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:49:56 am »
He's a funny guy, and I'll give him props to that, but his arguments are simple rhetoric and, in the end, don't make sense.

Just to look at his "global warming" thing -- yes, it's funny, but it's wrong for a couple reasons:

* Humans artificially breed cows like crazy, for the meat industry, so for every person that doesn't eat meat less cows are bred, less methane
* The pollution from cows largely isn't from the methane they produce, it's from the amount of processing required to feed them and to dispose of their waste
* It takes 100x more plants to raise a cow for people to eat than if they'd just eaten the plants to begin with

So yeah, his whole global warming this is just wrong.

But I do agree with what he said about Michael Vick. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison (and a huge fine) for doing something that people do every single day. I've complained before about the double standard we hold, and that's just further evidence.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 02:18:08 am »
Carlos Mencia is an idiot. And an awful comedian to boot.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 07:16:09 am »
But I do agree with what he said about Michael Vick. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison (and a huge fine) for doing something that people do every single day. I've complained before about the double standard we hold, and that's just further evidence.

He should have served more time.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:00:18 pm »

Then every slaughterhouse employee should too.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 12:52:19 pm »

Then every slaughterhouse employee should too.

What Michael Vick did involves a lot more animal cruelty. Theoretically, there should be no cruelty in slaughterhouses, but granted that there is, it's nothing like dogfighting.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 01:21:37 pm »
He may be a comedian
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 03:48:17 pm »
What Michael Vick did involves a lot more animal cruelty. Theoretically, there should be no cruelty in slaughterhouses, but granted that there is, it's nothing like dogfighting.
How is there "theoretically" no cruelty in slaughterhouses? Last time I checked, cows didn't grow up thinking "OH BOY I'M GOING TO GET CUT UP FOR PEOPLE TO EAT ME! YAYYYYY!" You're advocating murder, you're just apparently too ignorant to actually see that  about yourself.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 04:15:40 pm »
How is there "theoretically" no cruelty in slaughterhouses? Last time I checked, cows didn't grow up thinking "OH BOY I'M GOING TO GET CUT UP FOR PEOPLE TO EAT ME! YAYYYYY!" You're advocating murder, you're just apparently too ignorant to actually see that  about yourself.

I think he means something specific by "cruelty" -- like inflicting suffering, etc.  The killing is supposed to be painless and instantaneous.

Cows didn't grow up thinking that, but cows probably don't have aspirations at all.

You're asserting that killing a cow is in the same equivalence class as killing a human.  While I do think that this claim has some merit, asserting it and then calling us omnivores murderers isn't going to get you anywhere.

iago, I agree that there is a bit of a double-standard here, but I agree even more with Ender -- slaughterhouses aren't designed with the intention of causing pain and suffering.  Dog fights kind of are.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 05:10:37 pm »
cows didn't grow up thinking "OH BOY I'M GOING TO GET CUT UP FOR PEOPLE TO EAT ME! YAYYYYY!"
How do you know what cows do or don't think?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 10:03:13 pm »
I think he means something specific by "cruelty" -- like inflicting suffering, etc.  The killing is supposed to be painless and instantaneous.
And I'm counter-arguing that killing is cruel regardless of the duration of the killing.
Cows didn't grow up thinking that, but cows probably don't have aspirations at all.

You're asserting that killing a cow is in the same equivalence class as killing a human.  While I do think that this claim has some merit, asserting it and then calling us omnivores murderers isn't going to get you anywhere.
I'm not saying that killing a cow is equivalent to killing a human (atleast, not intentionally). Given the choice between the two, human preservation instincts obviously tell me to kill a cow instead. Instead what I'm trying to say is that, if you killing dog fighting and killing dogs is cruel, you should also think that raising cows specifically to kill them is also cruel. As to whether or not cows have their own ambitions, I obviously can't speculate about that, but no intelligent (even unintelligent) species wants to die. There's a reason that a bug, even though it has a brain the size of a pencil tip, flies away from you as fast as it can.

How do you know what cows do or don't think?
We worship cows. God told me so.

;)

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:07:00 pm »

I'd count living in jail as suffering. Told when to eat, mate, etc your entire life, having your children taken away from you, being constantly pregnant so you can give milk, and dying when you're no longer useful (or when you're big enough to eat). I'd definitely call that "cruelty". It's not the way any creature should be brought up.

Perhaps calling omnivores murderers is going a bit too far, but calling slaughterhouse employees murderers isn't too much of a stretch IMO.

iago, I agree that there is a bit of a double-standard here, but I agree even more with Ender -- slaughterhouses aren't designed with the intention of causing pain and suffering.  Dog fights kind of are.
Perhaps it isn't the intention to cause pain and suffering, but the whole premise behind raising huge amounts of animals for as cheaply as possible, and for the purpose of killing them, does a great job of it.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 10:21:05 pm »
I said it once, I'll say it again.

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.  We are the superior animals, we can do as we please to the inferior.  If we want to eat cows and not dogs, that's our choice as the supreme rulers of the animal kingdom.

If aliens came and wiped us out, enslaved us because they are superior to us, so be it.  It's our fault for not evolving or taking the optimal path in the development of the human race, muwahhaahahahahahhahaaha.

Same with healthcare.  Don't have it, sucks for you.  SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.  Mwuahahahahahahhahahahaa.

EDIT:  Ok, the part about Healthcare was me being a dick.  As healthcare in the US is broken.  However, I do think some people are just asking for their health problems by becoming big fatties and not exercising and eating healthier.  And thus should be punished individually, and not have society as a whole be punished by having to subsidize the cost of their healthcare.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:42:16 pm by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 10:22:30 pm »
Hey, while1, remember that time in Baltimore when we went to BK and had those delicious 1/2lb Bacon Burgers?  That was fun.