Author Topic: New Rig  (Read 18690 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
New Rig
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:39:13 pm »
Okay, this fits into at least 3 different categories (entertainment, gaming, hardware), so I opted for here.  Someone move it if you think there's a better fit.

I'm not too experienced in building my own systems, so this is taking quite a bit of time on my part, mostly looking up comparisons and reviews for every part.

I am trying to build a new computer that will last quite a while.  My budget is $2,000.  I have a few requirements:
1. Around $1,700.  The cheaper, the better, but only if it's not a huge impact on performance.  $2,000 is the absolute max including shipping and tax, for which you can use 08090 and 19130 for calculating.
2. Dual monitors output.  Having the option of 4 would be nice, and 20 would be insane and awesome, but I really only need 2.
3. As a benchmark (and assume my internet connection can handle it), streaming StarCraft 2 at 60fps on all Ultra settings is required (and is, in fact, one of the primary goals of the computer).
4. Do not include: keyboard, mouse, monitors, sound system
5. Include: Motherboard, CPU, disc drive, HDD, RAM, video card(s), sound card (which only needs to support 2.1), Windows 7 Ultimate (yes I know it's $300....which sucks), other essentials I may have left out

I've been wading through Newegg looking at various parts, wish list builds, and other things, as well as asking around on other forums, but I know there are people here who probably know more about this stuff than most of the people elsewhere (damn random people!).

[edit]
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15062086
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:23:05 pm by rabbit »

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: New Rig
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 03:04:48 pm »
5. Windows 7 Ultimate (yes I know it's $300....which sucks), other essentials I may have left out
Wrong. As a student, you are eligible to get Ultimate for <$100. As an MSDN subscriber you get Win7 Ultimate, Office 2010, etc etc. for free.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 03:10:03 pm by deadly7 »
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:51:20 pm »
I'm not a student nor am I a MSDN subscriber.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 05:51:35 pm »
5. Windows 7 Ultimate (yes I know it's $300....which sucks), other essentials I may have left out
Wrong. As a student, you are eligible to get Ultimate for <$100. As an MSDN subscriber you get Win7 Ultimate, Office 2010, etc etc. for free.

No you don't. You pay $2000/yr or whatever the cost for an MSDN account is to get those products. =P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 07:54:06 pm »

No you don't. You pay $2000/yr or whatever the cost for an MSDN account is to get those products. =P

Nope!  My company pays the mass volume discounted subscription fee for each dev on my project!!!  Wooot.

Of course according to a co-worker, even though I get virtually unlimited product keys and downloads to all MS products old and new... supposedly only I can use it.  So if I install Win7 on my own personal machine using a product key obtained from my MSDN subscription, then only I can technically boot up that installation of Win7 and use that copy of Win7.  Not sure this is completely true, it's just hearsay from a co-worker, I haven't read the MSDN terms of service or legal stuff myself.

I'm sure Johns Hopkins has some discounted MS software program for students or w/e, so now that I'm a technically a grad student, I can also get it that way.

Anyways Mr. Rabbit, once you build your machine, we can talk, I'm sure I can come up with some way to get you a 100% legit copy of Win7.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 08:03:10 pm by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 10:27:19 pm »
Okay, then I can discount Win7 from the cost, meaning about 1700 for hardware!  Yay!  Okay, time to get cracking...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 10:42:10 pm »
Of course according to a co-worker, even though I get virtually unlimited product keys and downloads to all MS products old and new... supposedly only I can use it.  So if I install Win7 on my own personal machine using a product key obtained from my MSDN subscription, then only I can technically boot up that installation of Win7 and use that copy of Win7.  Not sure this is completely true, it's just hearsay from a co-worker, I haven't read the MSDN terms of service or legal stuff myself.

That's bullshit. I use my dad's keys all the time for various products. They're stuffing lies down your throat. You're not supposed to do that, but hey, whatever.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 11:23:20 pm »

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 11:30:37 pm »
Your video card doesn't support HDMI inputs. This means you can't ever hook up your computer to a TV or make use of HDMI monitors..
Also, are you an ATI/AMD avid supporter, or are you looking for the best rig for your price range?

Also, I would go with a name brand (Antec comes to mind) for your PSU. I personally have never heard of SeaSonic.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 11:41:41 pm »
I'm not an AVID supporter, though I do like them, and the 5970 is the best card on the market, so there's not too much to be said about changing to nVidia.  As for the Phenom II, it's 6 cores and a higher clock speed, which is great for video encoding, and like I said, I'm going to be streaming quite a bit of gaming stuff.  That's the primary appeal, at least.  Comparable Intel CPUs only have 4 cores and cost nearly twice as much, and price is my other big factor.

As for the power supply...I'm still looking :|
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:51:59 pm by rabbit »

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 01:16:26 am »
Corsair is the only brand of PSU that I would ever recommend. They're the best, imo. Their 12v rails are always rated well.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 08:19:01 am »
If I ship it all to my ex roommate in Philly, it'll save me ~$120 in tax, and the total will be $1,745.44.  I'm thinking that it's pretty close to final, atm.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 09:54:57 am »
Don't get ATi or AMD!  The Intel core i7s use less power (130W max), they have QPI and turbo boost.  You're also getting a 6Gb/s motherboard with a 3Gb/s disk.  Why not spend an extra $40 on the 1TB WD with 6 Gb/s transfer rate (See list)?  You can also get an nVidia Fermi card for $350 that will play SC II with all settings turned up to maximum just fine.  Not to mention, the Fermi cards support both hardware DirectX 11 and OpenGL 3.x (The ATi one you listed shows only DirectX 11).

Here's my setup:

Price: ~ $1700 (with rebates and specials)

Picture ... too big to include in post.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 10:37:31 am »
I just saw your tentative rig.  I didn't realize the newer AMD processors were better with power.  They have a bunch of Istanbul nodes (6 core) at the HPC center here that apparently use 300 Watts of power.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 12:13:33 pm »
The reasoning behind my card is that I will be playing on Ultra while on-the-fly encoding and streaming the games.  If it was just a matter of playing, I'd get something cheaper.

Thanks for the tip about the HDD, though, I hadn't noticed that.  Switched out the drive for another, and in the end it only cost another $5.