Author Topic: New Rig  (Read 18702 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Re: New Rig
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2010, 09:51:38 pm »
Here is a picture with a measuring tape. It looks like the 5970 will be a tight fit.  You'll have to remove that plastic piece and part of the 5970 will sit in the drive bay.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2010, 09:52:13 pm »
The top result in "Best Rating" for modular 801-900W modular power supplies is a Cosair, though it's $170.  I'm thinking about this PSU.

That's a good one too.  My father has one like that.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2010, 09:21:00 am »
So I'm thinking it's pretty much done and ready to be ordered...Grand Total: $1,644.20 (-$40 mail-in rebates after).
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13363445

It says it's more but that's just because it's dumb and for some reason can't show combo deals.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2010, 01:41:44 pm »
So I'm thinking it's pretty much done and ready to be ordered...Grand Total: $1,644.20 (-$40 mail-in rebates after).
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13363445

It says it's more but that's just because it's dumb and for some reason can't show combo deals.

The WD disk has a promo code.  $10 off.  Not sure if you're aware.  If not, go look through your items and check for promo codes.

EDIT:
Your RAM has a promo code.  $20 off.  Re-add your items with promo codes to the shopping cart and enter the code.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:47:22 pm by nslay »

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2010, 02:01:11 pm »
Both codes expire before I plan to order though.  I'll look at my paycheck on Tuesday and if I have enough then and there I'll reapply and order.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2010, 08:44:19 pm »
Ok...so I still have access to my student discounts (yay!) and can get Windows 7 Pro upgrade for $10.  AFAIK the only things missing from Pro vs Ultimate are bitlocker, UNIX support, and other languages.  Would the other languages affect my ability to use Japanese and Russian (ie: type)?  I would hope not, especially since IME is a pretty standard tool in every other OS.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2010, 01:16:55 pm »
especially since IME is a pretty standard tool in every other OS.
Yeah but this is Windows.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2010, 03:08:08 pm »
especially since IME is a pretty standard tool in every other OS.
Yeah but this is Windows.
I was including other OS.  IME was in XP (though granted, if it wasn't installed by default during OS install, it was impossible to add it later).  From what I've been able to tell, it's just the displays that change language in Ultimate, and IME is still available.  I'm going to order everything sans video card Tuesday I think (since my new mobo has integrated graphics) and then get my video card in a few weeks.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2010, 05:16:54 pm »
I always thought SFU (Services For Unix) were free for all Windows operating systems.  I also always thought that input locales were independent of the "class" of Windows.  Windows 7 Starter has input locales so I would assume Pro also has it.

As far as I know, SFU is awful.  Even NFS support is terrible.  I honestly don't think you should worry about SFU.

*pokes Myndfyre* ... where's the Microsoft zealot when you need him (intended for good gesture)?

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2010, 05:56:17 pm »
I always thought SFU (Services For Unix) were free for all Windows operating systems.  I also always thought that input locales were independent of the "class" of Windows.  Windows 7 Starter has input locales so I would assume Pro also has it.

As far as I know, SFU is awful.  Even NFS support is terrible.  I honestly don't think you should worry about SFU.

*pokes Myndfyre* ... where's the Microsoft zealot when you need him (intended for good gesture)?
I honestly don't care about SFU, I was just noting the differences.  But whatever!  I'll have a working computer by next week, and a beastly gaming machine a couple weeks after that (damned expensive 5970...)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2010, 06:22:50 pm »

SUA (Subsystem for Unix Applications) is terrible too! But yeah, as far as I know it's a free separate download.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2010, 10:05:13 pm »
The top result in "Best Rating" for modular 801-900W modular power supplies is a Cosair, though it's $170.  I'm thinking about this PSU.

Corsair PSUs are the best.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2010, 07:41:02 pm »
It's ordered!  Well, mostly.  I didn't get the HDD (I have one I can use until my next paycheck) or video card (same deal).  I was planning to get some nice big 24" monitors, but I decided to go with a pair of smaller 20" ones...or maybe 3 if I can get them for the right price.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2010, 10:04:04 am »
It's loud relative to rubber dome.  However, in absolute, it's not really that loud.  People tend to exaggerate.  I used to bring my Model M to the office and cubicle neighbors did not find it terribly loud and were not even irritated by it.  Let's not forget about the white noise factor.

The white noise factor is the tendency for the brain to filter out a particular noise ... keyboards and chiming clocks are excellent examples.  I often don't even notice my cuckoo clock chime even though it's right next to me!  Of course, I've had it for years too ...

I think people tend to use experience as a benchmark (i.e. people tend to be relativistic).  When you've typed on rubber domes for most of your life, good God, Model M is loud!  But relative to talking cubicle neighbors and other office noises ... not really. 
I share an office with a guy uses a similarly loud keyboard. I assure you, keep using one in public and someone will shove a spike through your head one day. :P
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2010, 04:59:13 pm »
I recently received a 1GB GeForce 460.  It's pretty amazing, $230~, and if you get two of them and SLI, they're better and around $300 cheaper than Ati's best card.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...