Author Topic: DVD to AVI?  (Read 9341 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: DVD to AVI?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 03:35:40 pm »
<elitistjerk>
I can rip a DVD to an mkv in one step on my Mac.
</elitistjerk>

<comeback>
At least I don't need to get my PC's motherboard replaced after 8 months.
</comeback>
O RLY?  That's why I switched to Mac....

I'm pretty sure this is an isolated incident, but occasionally when I game my graphics card derps out, the bottom half of the screen starts flashing and I lose all input except moving my mouse (can't click anything).
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 09:26:08 pm »
<elitistjerk>
</elitistjerk>

<comeback>
</comeback>

QFT.

Joe: handbrake runs on Windows too (and runs better might I add) and I bought my MacBook Pro so that none of the hardware would die/be difficult to replace. =P

rabbit: Why is handbrake awful? Explain. It seems to do the trick. I even found guides for "properly" ripping (scene standards iirc? idk) with HandBrake!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 01:32:43 pm »
<elitistjerk>
</elitistjerk>

<comeback>
</comeback>

QFT.

Joe: handbrake runs on Windows too (and runs better might I add) and I bought my MacBook Pro so that none of the hardware would die/be difficult to replace. =P

rabbit: Why is handbrake awful? Explain. It seems to do the trick. I even found guides for "properly" ripping (scene standards iirc? idk) with HandBrake!
It is literally impossible to get HandBrake to encode at 23.976 fps (actually, any fps: it will always do FVR), despite there being 2 different ways you're supposed to be able to.  I asked one of the HandBrake devs about it a while back and he basically said "who cares?  go away now."  So screw him.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 09:54:46 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a retard, why would you want to encode specifically at 23.976 fps? I realize that's NTSC (or PAL?) but it should play fine anyhow.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 10:36:56 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a retard, why would you want to encode specifically at 23.976 fps? I realize that's NTSC (or PAL?) but it should play fine anyhow.
I don't know about professional movie-level cameras, but I know when I used to work for a middle-end television studio the cameras record at certain frames per second. Trying to play at another rate can distort the video and is usually accomplished by a software speed up/slow down; very noticable in movies/video that incorporates lots of camera movement (e.g. Transformers)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:49:35 pm by deadly7 »
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 04:22:55 pm »

I'm no good with movie ripping, but my guess is that improper rips that have un-sync'd audio are because of a non-constant frame rate. But I completely made that up.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »
Because industry standard for film is 24000/1001 frames per second so audio at 48KHz will be synced.  30000/1001 is for Video (both are NTSC) with 60HKz audio.