Author Topic: Running  (Read 9632 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Running
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 02:23:53 am »
I'm doing either 2 miles or 4 km now, depending on how I feel. That's about 20 - 30 mins. I'm also doing every second day, which is roughly 3 times/week.

That's not bad at all. But do you run continuously or do you take breaks? I run (i.e. jog) continuously.

Depends how I feel. I can usually do 2 miles without walking, but when I do 4km I take a short break half way (that I don't count toward the distance). The break is usually only about 200 - 400m (1/8 - 1/4 mile).

Well I'm impressed. It's probably because you were already (before starting to run) pretty fit, seeing how you bike so much. Before I started running I was someone whose only exercise was walking to campus, so in the first few days I found even half a mile (maybe even a quarter due to cramps) to be a problem.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 12:20:21 pm »
Had my physical readiness test last week, did my 1.5 miles in 9:57... not too bad for starting to run 2 weeks before it :P
Yeah, but you have a slim build. Despite the fact that I eat extremely well, bike everywhere, and run 3 times a week, I'm still 240lbs and haven't changed weight since like highschool. It's not fair! :P

Damn.  Rough.  Seen a doc for ... what ... hypothyroidism?

Last time I tried to run, my knee gave out on me (remember...it's broke as hell).  I need to get back into biking.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:25 pm »
Well I'm impressed. It's probably because you were already (before starting to run) pretty fit, seeing how you bike so much. Before I started running I was someone whose only exercise was walking to campus, so in the first few days I found even half a mile (maybe even a quarter due to cramps) to be a problem.
I suggest following the c25k program, for new runners:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I did up to week 4 day 1, then got bored and just started doing 2-3 miles.

Damn.  Rough.  Seen a doc for ... what ... hypothyroidism?
No, but it's a family trait for sure. Everybody on my mom's side of the family has the same overall shape. I have one uncle who runs and managed to keep somewhat slim, but everybody else is well overweight.

The way I look at it, though, is that if I can bike 50km+ and run 4km+ without a whole lot of training, I must at least be in decent shape, even if I don't look it. So I take solice in that. :)

Next time I go for a checkup, though, I'll definitely talk to my doctor.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 05:42:47 pm »
I rather enjoy running and wish I had a running partner.  If I lived up near you I would totally run with you, iago.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 05:58:28 pm »
I rather enjoy running and wish I had a running partner.  If I lived up near you I would totally run with you, iago.
The feeling isn't mutual! ;)

It's not personal, though, but I couldn't imagine running with somebody. I don't even like running past people, or running when cars are driving around.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 07:19:19 pm »

It's not personal, though, but I couldn't imagine running with somebody. I don't even like running past people, or running when cars are driving around.

Same.  I don't like exercising in general in public.  Why I work out in my apartment or late late at night/ early early in the morning.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 08:38:39 pm »
I don't like working out in front of people, but I don't mind running where people can see me.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 08:20:21 pm »
Did 5k nonstop today for my first time. Took me 33mins, so I wasn't exactly going fast, but 5k was my goal so I'm happy I made it. :)

(5k = 3 1/8 miles)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 08:35:02 pm »

If you run with someone faster than you, I guarantee you'll have a better run than just going alone, especially if they are good at motivating you to go faster.

A bit on topic, I went to the gym for the 3rd time this semester yesterday... I've been slacking off this semester (new priorities), and I can't straighten my arms out without spending a few minutes stretching them first haha. I need to get un-lazy (aka, get back to a normal sleep schedule that doesn't involve afternoon naps)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 09:14:36 pm »

If you run with someone faster than you, I guarantee you'll have a better run than just going alone, especially if they are good at motivating you to go faster.

A bit on topic, I went to the gym for the 3rd time this semester yesterday... I've been slacking off this semester (new priorities), and I can't straighten my arms out without spending a few minutes stretching them first haha. I need to get un-lazy (aka, get back to a normal sleep schedule that doesn't involve afternoon naps)

You should get a pull-up bar in your room. We have one at our kitchen entrance and it's great for a home workout.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 12:21:27 am »

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 07:32:30 am »
You should get a pull-up bar in your room. We have one at our kitchen entrance and it's great for a home workout.
The gym takes me 2 mins to walk to from my room. That isn't the problem.

new priorities

cybor?
More of a homework load among other things :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 06:09:26 pm »

Interesting.  I feel more motivated (maybe competition factor) to go with others.