Author Topic: College Education  (Read 10775 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
College Education
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:44:00 pm »
[Inspired by nslay's discussion on college in "Story of a Professional Cheater"]

For those who have completed their college education, how do you look back on it? What are you glad of, and what are your regrets? What did you major in? Do you wish you had majored in something else?

For me, I studied English literature, and I have three more quarters after this one until I graduate. As I look back, I don't know whether I should have majored in comp sci. The jobs I will be seeking will be "computer jobs", whether they be software dev., systems admin or IT. (I currently work a job in IT with a touch of admin. and software dev.) And it would have really given me a leg up to major in comp sci. At the same time, I majored in English because I wanted to do something different, and because I really do prefer to learn comp sci on my own, individually, so that it's like slowly uncovering a mystery.

I know that Myndfyre majored in poli sci / psychology. Myndfyre, are you glad that you did that? Do you have any regrets? They are not exactly the degrees that a software company are looking for in programmers, but at the same time you seem to be very successful and employable as a software engineer.

For those who majored in comp sci, (I just saw all your thoughts in the recent thread about college, which brings this post to mind), how was your experience? Are you glad you did it? How much did it do in your career?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:53:34 pm by Ender »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: College Education
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:30:13 am »
I had a good time, made a lot of good friends, and really enjoyed my experience/classes/co-op job (internships).

At the same time, though, I'm not sure that I've directly applied anything I've used in my whole university education. The most useful course I ever took, really, was technical writing/speaking (tech com).

I definitely wouldn't be where I am today, not even close, if it wasn't for my university experience, but I don't think it directly benefited me all that much.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:51:46 am »
I know I'm not in the audience of your question, but I'm majoring in programming and analysis.

It's been an interesting experience for me because I've befriended (I think that is actually the best term) an instructor and I've been invited to work on a bunch of projects with him, since he runs his own consulting firm. Also, tutoring in the IT work lab has given me a reputation as the guy to go to with random questions, partly to my knowledge and partly to my exceptional (apparently) googling skills.

Taking electives taught by part time instructors has allowed me to meet a cofounder of a local startup, and a hiring manager at a larger company. Right now I'm really adopting the philosophy that if I want to make it big independently, I need to jump at it now and get on my feet and profitable before I need to really support myself.

I took this on a tangent and I think I'll drop it now, but this has been the train of thought running through my mind for the past few days and I thought I'd post it.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:07:13 am »
I majored in computer science and math.  I look back on it very fondly.  I challenged myself with the courses I selected, and I think I benefited greatly from it.  I like the job prospects I have.  I like the type of work I do, and I love the subject I chose to study.  If I were forced to choose a new major, I think it'd be physics, but computer science/math is a better choice for me.

The things I learned in my classes are directly useful in the jobs I've done, and I'm very pleased with how well prepared I feel to ... do whatever it is I decide to do.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 02:39:04 am »
College is a waste for non-technical degrees.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 07:18:31 am »
I went to a juggling show last night. It was a running joke throughout the show that they were all humanities majors, which is why they had so much free time for four years.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 09:37:36 am »
It's not so much that the courses I took weren't challenging or I didn't learn a lot, it's more than I didn't end up in the same field as the courses I took.. I wound up doing stuff that I taught myself. :)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 01:07:57 pm »
[Inspired by nslay's discussion on college in "Story of a Professional Cheater"]

For those who have completed their college education, how do you look back on it? What are you glad of, and what are your regrets? What did you major in? Do you wish you had majored in something else?

For me, I studied English literature, and I have three more quarters after this one until I graduate. As I look back, I don't know whether I should have majored in comp sci. The jobs I will be seeking will be "computer jobs", whether they be software dev., systems admin or IT. (I currently work a job in IT with a touch of admin. and software dev.) And it would have really given me a leg up to major in comp sci. At the same time, I majored in English because I wanted to do something different, and because I really do prefer to learn comp sci on my own, individually, so that it's like slowly uncovering a mystery.

I know that Myndfyre majored in poli sci / psychology. Myndfyre, are you glad that you did that? Do you have any regrets? They are not exactly the degrees that a software company are looking for in programmers, but at the same time you seem to be very successful and employable as a software engineer.
Like you said, I double-majored in poli sci and psychology.  I do have some regrets and some not.  I wish I had gone on to take DiffEq and Linear Algebra, but that's not too bad.  I still remember calc 3 pretty well, 7 years later.  Overwhelmingly, though, I would say that I like my liberal arts education because it forced me to write, a lot.  I have a strong hankering that if I had stayed confined to the CS department at ASU, I would not be as good a writer as I am today.

By the time I finished college, I had done a lot of work with C between porting things like MBNCSUtil and reinterpreting the code for MaNGOS (the WoW emulator) so that I could write a client for WoW, and so I have a pretty effective and mixed skillset.  That said, I haven't been able to find a job outside of C#, probably because there aren't jobs like that in Arizona. 

I absolutely loved a couple of the classes I had in CS.  When I did "Digital Design Fundamentals," a class similar to one Newby is currently taking, it was my first semester.  I think it is still my favorite class.  But, the reason I quit the CS program is, quite frankly, it sucks at ASU.

I went back for a year to grad school in Software Engineering.  It was the same department and there were elective classes.  I took an Operating Systems class, and I knew literally everything in the class except for virtual memory paging by the time I got there.  But if you look at how they taught synchronization while I was there, I can see why, when I hired a kid out of school, he didn't know how to do anything practical when he graduated.  Of course, I'm not the first one to strongly condemn universities for how they teach the practices in computing.

My biggest regret is that I can't convince myself and suck it up to go do it, and I think that, for the most part, I now miss out on some jobs that I would really love, like those in games.  Maybe that's untrue.  Maybe it's that my current salary is way too high and game companies won't pay that much.  I don't know.

All told, I loved the college experience.  I wasn't a partier - I worked hard and had a lot of fun with friends.  Many employers tell me that they look more for my ability to commit to doing something long-term than for the actual program of study.  That said, I don't know where my theory about game businesses and stuff factors in.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 01:40:21 pm »
I graduated undergrad December 2008, and I'm in law school now.

I regret ... I guess not being more social, but that's something I do now, and havent changed.  *shrug*  I dont think I liked or disliked anything about college.  I hate my useless undergrad degree, and pretty much resent that I had to obtain a bachelor's degree in order to get into law school.  I definitely should've slept around...I'm pretty cynical and scorned feeling already, and I think that would probably help how I interact with women now.  Build up confidence and shit, ya know?

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 02:35:33 pm »
My undergraduate education in chemical engineering at the University of Wyoming was everything college should have been. Professors were open to collaboration, they had open doors, and they treated the students with respect. They were always looking for ways to involve students. Also, the department was incredible. I couldn't fill all the courses required for my BS and MS with courses in the department, so they let me take a large amount of courses in the chemistry department. Now, I didn't want to do chemistry research, but the courses were a lot of fun, and I'll probably use some of the methods in my research. At the very least, I know how to read spectra from NMR, Mass spec, GC, etc.

Chemical engineering was a lot of fun. I wish there had been more derivations and less hand-waving, but I've learned the derivations on my own over the last semester or so, and it's nice knowing where a lot of the equations came from.

However, because Wyoming is a small, unknown school, when the recession hit, companies just didn't come to recruit, and even though the students at Wyoming weren't necessarily worse than students elsewhere, we were left to fend for ourselves for the most part. And that's why I'm in graduate school. The only thing I can say here is I picked the wrong school. My adviser and project are looking awesome, but I hate the school and department. There's a breakdown of communication at each level in the university. I've asked one question to 5 different people, and I managed to receive 5 vastly different answers. Furthermore, they treat graduate students like shit. We're cheap, replaceable labor, and the department knows it. If anyone drops/fails out, they'll accept someone else into the program. In the end, I wish I had gone somewhere else. Oh well, only a few years of this bullshit, and graduating from a top 10 program makes it a little easier to get a foot in the door.
errr... something like that...

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 06:38:09 pm »
I originally went to UMR (now MS&T) for a degree in Computer Science and ended up leaving the department after my freshmen year.  The main reason was because my adviser screwed me over with the way he recommended I scheduled my courses.  After that excessively stressful and completely unenjoyable semester I decided I did not want to spend the rest of my life working with computers.

After discovering I didn't enjoy Comp Sci as much as I had original thought I switched majors to another field of study that I have always loved, Biology/Pre-Med.  I ended up falling in love with the Department at MS&T as well as reigniting my love for Biology.  The faculty were amazing.  They had open door policies, always were willing to help students, and were all around very friendly and easy to talk to.  I can say for sure that I can't think of a single thing that I ended up being unhappy with in regards to the Biology Department at MS&T. Since graduating I will be furthering my studies by pursuing a career in Medicine, specifically Podiatry.  

There are two things I regret.  The first being the fact that I didn't have much of an opportunity to do research.  Not because my school didn't offer it, but because of the fact I wanted to graduate in 4 years so I had no room for it in my schedule.  The last thing I would say I regret is the fact that I quit Computer Science.  The only reason I regret that is because I am not a quitter and it just bothers me a little bit.  Overall, though, I am very happy with where my life is headed.

Unrelated to the OP, but if you're curious:

This fall I will be attending DMU (Des Moines University) to get my DPM (Doctor of Podiatric Medcine).  For those of you unfamiliar with Podiatry it's the foot and ankle specialty in medicine.  We're in "Medical School" for 4 years and then go off and complete 3 years of residency.  I quoted Medical School because the schedule isn't exactly the same as a regular medical school.  The first year is essentially identical to MD/DO students, with the second year only having some overlap in classes.  The rest of the time is spent with us focusing primarily on our specialty.  However, during residency there is no difference between someone with an MD and someone with a DPM.  They all do the same work and everyone expects you to be able to pull your weight regardless of your degree.  I decided against MD/DO for a variety of different reasons that I don't want to go into now.  It would end up being a giant block of text. :P

[Edit]
For other information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podiatrist
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:46:03 pm by AntiVirus »
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 07:40:59 pm »
After discovering I didn't enjoy Comp Sci as much as I had original thought I switched majors to another field of study that I have always loved, Biology/Pre-Med.  I ended up falling in love with the Department at MS&T as well as reigniting my love for Biology.  The faculty were amazing.  They had open door policies, always were willing to help students, and were all around very friendly and easy to talk to.  I can say for sure that I can't think of a single thing that I ended up being unhappy with in regards to the Biology Department at MS&T. Since graduating I will be furthering my studies by pursuing a career in Medicine, specifically Podiatry.
Let me know how the first few semesters of the med school go. I was interested doing that once upon a time.
errr... something like that...

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 08:53:16 pm »
I'm about half done with a compsci degree at Umass Amherst. I've enjoyed my classes well enough but have gotten to the point where I'm not really sure it is what I want to do with my life. I'm taking some time off and working while I decide what to do. However the social experience has been great, and presented me with other possibilities. I have a friend who just graduated and lives in Abu Dhabi who is well connected and said he might be able to get me a job doing simple IT stuff. They pay Americans fairly large salaries on top of housing stipends, paying for flights home, etc. I'm not sure its a place I would want to live long term, but could definitely be a fun way to spend some time before I go back to school, or after I finish.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 09:15:04 pm »
I did math and physics.  It was useful.  I think it made me smarter; I think differently, and have a deeper understanding of things, than if I hadn't gone.  Math is something I enjoy, but probably wouldn't have had the discipline to have done seriously if I weren't part of an organised curriculum. If I hadn't gone to university I would have been a musician or a writer, which would have caused me to develop in different ways.  But I think I made the right choice.  If I decided to become a writer now, my thinking will be enriched in ways that would make me more unique in that field.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:17:34 pm by Rule »

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 09:50:07 pm »
I'm in my 3rd year of undergrad in Computer Engineering at UT Dallas and so far I think the college experience has been more valuable than the actual courses I've taken. Living away from home taught me how to talk to and meet new people, how to manage my money, and also how to manage my time (I work part time along with taking classes full time). I've definitely grown up a lot more in college than I did during high school, but maybe that's due to me living away from my parents? I don't know.

But as far as how relevant my courses have been, I would say hardly at all. Here's why: I did a technical internship with Fidelity Investments at their Dallas data center last summer, for which I was to help implement and manage tools for their storage division. Everything was completely new to me, I had no clue what a SAN or NAS was or how to work with them because those terms never showed up in any of my courses. I literally had to sit in my cube and read books for a week straight to learn this stuff, all my co-workers there also had similar degrees such as CS or EE and they all told me they had to start from scratch when they first got there as well.

Maybe I'm just in the wrong place, maybe If I landed at Intel or AMD I would actually get to use the stuff I learned about crystalline structure and energy band gaps of semi-conductors. But so far my courses have not been very useful to me.