Author Topic: Win 8  (Read 13232 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Win 8
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:53:47 am »
Installed the Consumer Preview.  Looks interesting...and unusual.

Offline MysT_DooM

• Wizard
    • View Profile
    • DarkBlizz
Re: Win 8
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:02:33 pm »

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 05:53:09 pm »
I've been trying to figure out what's up with the fish.

I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:52:38 pm »
I will be passing on this since Win7 does literally everything I want right now.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:02:03 am »
I figured I'd give it a whirl.  Desktop environment is basically win7.  I don't like that the start button is gone, but hitting the Windoze key still let's navigate to shit I want (took me a little while to figure out how to access the damn control panel...).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:54:45 pm »
I haven't played around with it at all... mostly because I have no intention of ever using windows again.

That said, I've still seen it demoed and such. Are they forcing some of the tablet interface onto every user?

Whatever happened to Warrior? I miss his evangelism. He was like Steve Balmer's personal Fred Phelps.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 08:50:05 pm »
From my findings, it's Win7 with the start menu being replaced by the ugly tablet interface they seem to favor on Windows Phone. There's a move to whole-screen apps as well which you start from the Start Menu.

One thing I like... the new task manager. It's pretty sweet. Nice little facelift by Microsoft there.

One thing I don't.... Microsoft accounts seem to be the default thing to use as a user account. It's now an extra option to have a local user account... and to do anything with a lot of the apps provided in the Consumer Preview, you need to log into their Live service. Dumb. I shouldn't have to sign into my account to use Calendar to save events.

Another thing... the lock screen is nice, but how am I supposed to know to drag it up/down to unlock the screen if I'm not using a tablet? Clicking the screen and dragging it with a mouse on a non-tablet is a much different experience... one that is not intuitive at all.

Besides that, it wasn't much different from Win7 and I got pretty bored of it.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:51:17 pm »
I will be passing on this since Win7 does literally everything I want right now.
NO! You must fund my salary!

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 10:00:10 pm »
Whatever happened to Warrior? I miss his evangelism. He was like Steve Balmer's personal Fred Phelps.
He was banned for being a colossal dillhole, IIRC?

From my findings, it's Win7 with the start menu being replaced by the ugly tablet interface they seem to favor on Windows Phone. There's a move to whole-screen apps as well which you start from the Start Menu.

One thing I like... the new task manager. It's pretty sweet. Nice little facelift by Microsoft there.

One thing I don't.... Microsoft accounts seem to be the default thing to use as a user account. It's now an extra option to have a local user account... and to do anything with a lot of the apps provided in the Consumer Preview, you need to log into their Live service. Dumb. I shouldn't have to sign into my account to use Calendar to save events.

Another thing... the lock screen is nice, but how am I supposed to know to drag it up/down to unlock the screen if I'm not using a tablet? Clicking the screen and dragging it with a mouse on a non-tablet is a much different experience... one that is not intuitive at all.

Besides that, it wasn't much different from Win7 and I got pretty bored of it.
Yeah, pretty much this. I'm sure MS did some sort of market testing, but it looks like nothing I will ever want to adopt.

NO! You must fund my salary!
I posted in the other thread how to get me off Firefox in quite literally the time it takes to upgrade IE. Get it done and I will be there.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 12:16:07 am »
I posted in the other thread how to get me off Firefox in quite literally the time it takes to upgrade IE. Get it done and I will be there.
I'll see.  The employment agreement I got indicated that I was on the other team... but it might have just been a placeholder.  We'll see!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 01:54:49 am »
He was banned for being a colossal dillhole, IIRC?

No, he just left. I've conversed with him on AIM a few times since then but haven't really kept in touch with him. :/
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:19:14 am »
No, he just left. I've conversed with him on AIM a few times since then but haven't really kept in touch with him. :/
He left because everyone agreed that he was being a constant dillhole and trolling forever has to no longer be fun at some point.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:27:59 am »
Haha, I kinda got a kick out of it. It definitely got annoying, but I still kinda liked the guy ;p

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 01:45:52 pm »
We was ejected from the clan and then decided that he didn't like it here and he was never seen again....

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 02:26:58 pm »
I think Microsoft is making a terrible mistake generalizing tablet and phone interfaces to desktops. First and foremost, the desktop has and will continue to have conventional input devices (mouse and keyboard). That said, the tablet/phone interface is awfully silly for a desktop. Second, tablets suck. I'm going to write more about my opinion in a completely distinct section of my response so that everyone can see it clearly.

Tablets Suck
Soup the tablet up as much as you want. Give it more cores, more RAM, better video and it will still suck. Why? As novel as the input interfaces are, either touch screen or dictation, they suck for anything more complicated than clicking links and reading e-mail. There is a growing myth that Ma and Pa who click links and read news articles make up the vast majority of computer users. Mean while, students, power users, gamers, and corporate users are programming, gaming, writing reports, making power point presentations, making spread sheets, doing their taxes, editing photos, managing collections of files, what else? And the computer industry actually thinks touch screens and dictation can do this well? Alright, you try doing this efficiently with touch screen, see how fast you tire. Ever play Wii? Try talking to your computer for 8 hours straight (and I know a deaf blind guy who programs in C++ with dictation). Give me a break. Tablets suck. Don't be fooled by friends and advertisers ... they're a novelty item at best, but more like a lightbulb (look Ma, it lights the room for 9 hours straight! How power efficient!).

I'll continue to enjoy efficient input and visualization with my keyboard/mouse and dual 28 inch screen setup. If I want portability, I'll use my slightly bulkier laptop which still beats the iPad's 7 or 10inch touch screen.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant blind guy. A talking deaf guy doesn't make sense does it?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:22:58 pm by nslay »
An adorable giant isopod!