Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1757322 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #9630 on: April 22, 2012, 01:01:26 am »
"Irregrettable" is not a word so I suggest you spend the money you would be investing in a masters of CS into some English lessons
an aside: a word wouldn't be a word if ppl didnt use it. thus, we couldn't communicate effectively if people didnt make shit up.

TMYL

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9631 on: April 22, 2012, 02:28:37 am »
looking for money? fuck school. start a business. rich people aren't rich because they went to school (moreso about luck, it seems, though).

This is pretty true. The company I worked for last summer (and will again this summer) actually discourages its current and prospective employees from pursuing an MBA. They don't value it. The management constantly belittles the value of MBA-like degrees.

Nevertheless, do it if you WANT to. That's the big thing.

I'd say this is probably the best advice you're going to get. Do it if you see some intrinsic value to it.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9632 on: April 22, 2012, 08:23:05 am »
"Irregrettable" is not a word so I suggest you spend the money you would be investing in a masters of CS into some English lessons
an aside: a word wouldn't be a word if ppl didnt use it. thus, we couldn't communicate effectively if people didnt make shit up.

TMYL
People making up words and people using words incorrectly ("literally" eeeech) are different things.  The former is ok, the latter is a group who should be shot.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9633 on: April 22, 2012, 10:36:04 am »

TMYL
People making up words and people using words incorrectly ("literally" eeeech) are different things.  The former is ok, the latter is a group who should be shot.
I want to literally shoot everybody who uses that word incorrectly. But it begs the question - who really cares?

(My biggest pet peeve is people using 'begs the question' incorrectly. It makes me crazy. :) )

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9634 on: April 28, 2012, 09:15:41 pm »
I'm typically a very private person, but I'll contribute to this thread.

I bought a new bicycle last Monday, a Fuji CrossTown 2.0. I got into biking at an internship last year and was biking a mere 40 miles a week (it's really not that much). Anyway, I was hired and I plan to bike to work again (and everywhere else, until I buy a car).

Here's why I bought this particular bike:
- My psuedo-boss would get flats with his road bike like 10 times a month.
- I was using a rusty mountain bike and never got a single flat in 6 months.
- This bike is a hybrid with seemingly rugged tires.
- The area I'll be moving to is relatively rural, so the shocks might be useful (even though I think they're goofy).

I'm really out of shape. I've been biking it around Tallahassee and there are tons of hills. The hills seem subtle in a car, but you can really tell the difference on a bicycle. I have to say though, biking 5 miles is pretty trivial. Hell, my psuedo-boss would bike 10-20 miles pretty easily. The really annoying stuff is rain, hills and wind (man, wind can really slow you down).
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9635 on: April 29, 2012, 08:17:32 am »
That's cool man.  If I get hired by Amazon or Microsoft and move to Seattle, I'm definitely going to be buying a bicycle too to commute with.

Florida... sounds really humid hot >_<.  The wind really sucks, unless it's a tailwind, then it rocks.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9636 on: April 29, 2012, 09:55:32 am »
Luckily, I won't be in Florida. I'll be in Princeton, NJ (no, not the University). It's pretty flat compared to North Florida, but biking in the snow won't be so fun.

EDIT: Did I mention that North Florida is the only part of Florida with hills?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9637 on: April 29, 2012, 02:30:23 pm »
Luckily, I won't be in Florida. I'll be in Princeton, NJ (no, not the University). It's pretty flat compared to North Florida, but biking in the snow won't be so fun.

IDA? :O

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9638 on: April 29, 2012, 02:54:22 pm »

IDA? :O
After reading their social media policy, I don't really want to share the name of my employer.

Oddly enough, there are a lot of businesses in Princeton. I have no idea why! Some people claim its due to the University. But I knew of no Princeton graduates where I interned. I guess there was a Princeton intern, but no full-time employees who were Princeton graduates (that I know of).

The saddest part is that there were no Americans where I worked. They were mostly European and Chinese with some Indians. My psuedo-boss was the only North American (Canadian) that works there (that I know of).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9639 on: April 29, 2012, 03:04:05 pm »
The saddest part is that there were no Americans where I worked.

Definitely not IDA, then. :)

I only asked because I've worked with some IDA people, and almost did an internship there myself (opted for something in silicon valley instead). Didn't mean to pry :)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: May 03, 2012, 09:46:29 pm »
Bah, it seems by law I have to provide 60-days written notice of intent to vacate >_>; I guess I'm just going to have to opt for the month-to-month lease option and plan to pay the $1,120/mo rent.  I have no idea where I'm going to be in the next 3 months... If fortune shines down upon me it will be somewhere else, but my optimism has taken a severe beating over the last several days... T_T;
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9641 on: May 04, 2012, 11:37:50 am »
Bah, it seems by law I have to provide 60-days written notice of intent to vacate >_>; I guess I'm just going to have to opt for the month-to-month lease option and plan to pay the $1,120/mo rent.  I have no idea where I'm going to be in the next 3 months... If fortune shines down upon me it will be somewhere else, but my optimism has taken a severe beating over the last several days... T_T;

I had to do that for the apartment I had during my internship. Although, they warned me about that in advance (they also gave me a checklist).

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9642 on: May 04, 2012, 01:01:42 pm »

TMYL
I want to literally shoot everybody who uses that word incorrectly. But it begs the question - who really cares?

(My biggest pet peeve is people using 'begs the question' incorrectly. It makes me crazy. :) )

before I read your last sentence  :o......haha!

I'm typically a very private person, but I'll contribute to this thread.

I bought a new bicycle last Monday, a Fuji CrossTown 2.0. I got into biking at an internship last year and was biking a mere 40 miles a week (it's really not that much). Anyway, I was hired and I plan to bike to work again (and everywhere else, until I buy a car).

Here's why I bought this particular bike:
- My psuedo-boss would get flats with his road bike like 10 times a month.
- I was using a rusty mountain bike and never got a single flat in 6 months.
- This bike is a hybrid with seemingly rugged tires.
- The area I'll be moving to is relatively rural, so the shocks might be useful (even though I think they're goofy).

I'm really out of shape. I've been biking it around Tallahassee and there are tons of hills. The hills seem subtle in a car, but you can really tell the difference on a bicycle. I have to say though, biking 5 miles is pretty trivial. Hell, my psuedo-boss would bike 10-20 miles pretty easily. The really annoying stuff is rain, hills and wind (man, wind can really slow you down).
Bicycle? Florida? Screw that. I'd be able to pedal about 5 feet before being drenched in sweat. That humidity is killa, bro-skie.
/saw below-post about moving to NJ. Isn't the NE still muggy during the summer?

The saddest part is that there were no Americans where I worked.
You xenophobic Republican, you!;)

me: gots a job at walmart making $7.45 per hour stocking grocery. only shit I could find that works with my crappy class schedule :(. Interviewed for a few law jobs, but they all said my schedule wasn't great :(. damnit.
/least money I've ever made, but it's more than $0 per hour, so BOO YAH!

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9643 on: May 04, 2012, 02:06:51 pm »
Not xenophobic at all. It's very sad because fewer and fewer Americans are doing research. I predict that the next wave of innovative technology will not come from this country (at least not natural born citizens) in the next few decades. It will come from Europeans and Asians who value education more than we do.

The future for Americans is iPhone, iPad, video games, TV, facebook and twitter. Oh, we'll sit in class and think about what game we'll play when we get home. Or we'll text on our iPhone obsessively, or dink around with our iPad. We'll surf facebook for hours and make a lot of pointless comments. And the worst part is, this isn't the government's fault (in my opinion). Sure, there are underfunded schools and goofy policies, but we seen to have a very bad attitude toward education. Where did it come from? Even if you fix the schools, there will be a cancer of bad attitudes plaguing our school children.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9644 on: May 04, 2012, 03:37:01 pm »
So, what's Joe up to? Well, he's up to a whole not much.

A friend of mine just got a job at a startup here in town doing iOS development for $40/hr. They're looking to hire "ASAP" and as far as I know have only one iOS candidate (yours truly), so hopefully I won't be broke in a few weeks.

Other than that, I'm winding up my third year in my two year degree (apparently this is common, I'm not just a slacker) and I have about 50% of my credits done (that's what puts me in slacker territory). But seeing how people who haven't finished at my school are getting snatched up at the startups around here for a very pretty penny, I'm not very interested in finishing my generals. Obviously I will get my degree some time in the not-too-distant future, cause otherwise my dad will give me the same grief I gave him for dropping out of college, not to mention I'll be compared to our fuhrer governor, but yeah.

As far as other stuff, I've still got my motorcycle (less the front turn signals, which I need to get replaced). My fiancee also just got one, a GZ250 (not sure if I can hotlink). She's kind of nervous but I got her on the highway the other day and she rode all the way to work and she's learning how to negotiate traffic, etc. She has one problem I never had, and that's forgetting to downshift when coming to a stop. Probably cause I engine brake so I always know I'm going down in the gears. For those who haven't drove/ridden a manual, if you don't downshift when you come to a stop, then try to leave your stop in 3rd+ (2nd if you're a bad clutcher), you won't be leaving your stop. :)

That was a fun rant. See you next year!
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.