Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1757437 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #9735 on: January 31, 2013, 09:35:50 am »
Try a keto or paleo diet for a while.  They are pretty simple, not full of stupid food, and healthy.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #9736 on: February 02, 2013, 01:58:17 am »
I've done that twice now, and while it worked both times, it's really expensive.  Exercise with a gradual reduction in calories (never do sudden drops!) is far more manageable and you can still eat out easily.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: February 15, 2013, 03:58:09 pm »
Uh. He's working at Yahoo! :|
*facepalm*

New diet

Down 31lbs so far

Exercise starting this weekend (or Monday)

Goal is to complete a ToughMudder in England at the end of September (with some friends)

Nice! I dropped about 20 lbs summer-december...then I went home for Christmas and mom cooked. I sure can eat a lot when it's mom's cooking. I've lost 5 of the 15 re-gained.

Try a keto or paleo diet for a while.  They are pretty simple, not full of stupid food, and healthy.
...those diets seem a little (a lot) intense. I tried just limiting food intake and holy hell did that help a lot.

I read a few diet behavior studies (a lot of my master's degree has to do w/behavior, so I read a shit ton of psych studies), I found that having smaller plates (and therefore portions) = the #1 effective weight loss plan, with #2 being not eating while watching TV (no snacks, etc).

was it difficult for you to implement those diets? Stick with it?

off at 2pm today, so I decided to buy a burrito (Lubbock has boring mexican food, which is weird considering the number of hispanics) and a bottle of bulleit bourbon. fuck yeah.

I been getting paid recently, so I stashed away a few grand for summer (when I won't have a job because I'm studying for the bar), I bought a couple of suits (thanks, ebay, for getting me two $1500 suits for $600), bought a couple of ties (thanks, thetiebar.com), bought a tablet (laptop is making grindy noises and scaring me + one I've been lookin at since December was on sale). Life aint too bad.

also considering writing a book that covers New Mexico wills/trusts/estate/intestacy law in-depth. Only one book exists on the subject, and it's so simplified that it's actually technically wrong. I've been rocking the shit out of estate planning courses, and I think I'm setting myself up to be one of two (if not one of one) intense estate planners in Las Cruces when I go home.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:00:53 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9738 on: February 15, 2013, 04:28:56 pm »
It was hard at first but I have become adapted to eating lots of bacon, eggs, poultry, and steak.  Celery and hard boiled eggs are both viable options for snacks if I'm feeling hungry, too.  There's a lot of other recipes I want to try but haven't gotten around to yet as well.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9739 on: February 17, 2013, 10:22:02 pm »
lots of bacon......that must suck. lol.

asus tablet going back. it's crashed far too many times for me having used it for 2 days.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: February 18, 2013, 06:33:04 am »
It was hard at first but I have become adapted to eating lots of bacon, eggs, poultry, and steak.  Celery and hard boiled eggs are both viable options for snacks if I'm feeling hungry, too.  There's a lot of other recipes I want to try but haven't gotten around to yet as well.

I'm sure it's harder than it sounds (Sounds awesome! Minus the celery part).  But it also sounds expensive, which would probably be the reason I wouldn't be able to stomach it.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: February 18, 2013, 10:39:11 pm »
I've found that if I eat reasonable portions of better quality food, I feel better and spend as much as eating lots of crap. *shrug*

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9742 on: February 19, 2013, 08:12:40 am »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: February 27, 2013, 04:40:09 pm »
got a windows rt tablet. hardware-windows integration is pretty legit, considering MS's usual fuck ups. that said, the lack of legacy stuff is fairly disappointing (my world for google chrome!!!)

I bought it to be a quasi-replacement for my laptop. Laptop is big, heavy, and is on its way out (it makes grindy noises in the fan :( ).

I'm on a Dell XPS 10. Preloaded w/Office 2013. The lack of any decent office apps was what drove me away from ipad and android devices (I had that Asus transformer infinity for a bit and really liked it, but that SOB crashed like the dickens).

The dell 92% keyboard is tiny, especially considering that my laptop has a full keyboard (num pad & all). While I'll miss the number pad, and the typing delay on the XPS dock is kind of obnoxious, I think it will work just fine since my typing accuracy isn't too terrible.

Again, though, the lack of Google Drive and Google Chrome makes me sadface.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: February 28, 2013, 05:07:45 am »
got a windows rt tablet. hardware-windows integration is pretty legit, considering MS's usual fuck ups. that said, the lack of legacy stuff is fairly disappointing (my world for google chrome!!!)

I bought it to be a quasi-replacement for my laptop. Laptop is big, heavy, and is on its way out (it makes grindy noises in the fan :( ).

I'm on a Dell XPS 10. Preloaded w/Office 2013. The lack of any decent office apps was what drove me away from ipad and android devices (I had that Asus transformer infinity for a bit and really liked it, but that SOB crashed like the dickens).

The dell 92% keyboard is tiny, especially considering that my laptop has a full keyboard (num pad & all). While I'll miss the number pad, and the typing delay on the XPS dock is kind of obnoxious, I think it will work just fine since my typing accuracy isn't too terrible.

Again, though, the lack of Google Drive and Google Chrome makes me sadface.

It's more expensive, but the Surface Pro might be more what you're looking for.  It's like a laptop and tablet hybrid but unlike the RT version of Windows 8, allows you to install all your other Windows applications not found in the Windows app store.

I'm contemplating getting a Surface Pro, here's one of the few practical reviews of it I've read:  http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/02/22/the-ms-surface-pro

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:15:19 am by while1 »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9745 on: February 28, 2013, 08:22:54 pm »
thought about that too, but $900 v. $560 was too big a difference. I figure I'll just remote in to my desktop and call it a day....once I can get on my router to open up port 3389.

hell....why not just remote? cheaper device in my hand, desktop is fine being on at home, and desktop has a frick ton more power/capability than any tablet on the market right now.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9746 on: March 13, 2013, 10:43:45 pm »
working for the county and we need a database system to keep track of what's going on in cases (law cases). County IT sucks so I cant use free stuff (buying something is out of the question). I tried to look at Access forms & all, but FML. I figured "hey I created a product order program in VB a while ago [9 years], so I can probably do a decent DB today." I dl'd Visual Studio from my university and FML am I lost. I apparently forgot everything + cant navigate VS. Fail.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9747 on: March 14, 2013, 04:23:30 am »
For what it's worth, I can't recommend staying away from MS Access (et al.) strongly enough. I've heard horror stories of legacy access DBs morphing into hideous monstrosities over years. However simple it seems now, I can nearly guarantee that it'll become more complicated, and it'll probably evolve to the point that it exceeds what access is capable of.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9748 on: March 18, 2013, 10:23:08 pm »
For what it's worth, I can't recommend staying away from MS Access (et al.) strongly enough. I've heard horror stories of legacy access DBs morphing into hideous monstrosities over years. However simple it seems now, I can nearly guarantee that it'll become more complicated, and it'll probably evolve to the point that it exceeds what access is capable of.

I've had to work with a legacy Access monstrosity before and I concur, stay away from MS Access.  You'd be better of using MS SQL Server even though it would probably have more of a learning curve than MS Access.

VB6 and VB.NET are vastly different, there's some syntax similarities but for the most part .NET made VB much improved.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:26:57 pm by while1 »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: June 26, 2013, 08:38:17 pm »
County program fell to pieces because of politics lol.

I did manage to graduate w/a JD and an MS in personal financial planning. I have a job lined up. I have about $140k in student loans :(.