Author Topic: WoW = Spyware  (Read 24078 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: WoW = Spyware
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2005, 08:21:02 pm »
Personally, I don't think that WoW is spyware. If you don't like the way this is done, inject a DLL into WoW adding a void to send the warden results packet with WoW.exe and explorer.exe open, and overwrite the beginning of the warden checker to far jump to the injected void.
If you're willing to do something that sevre, why not just make your own hack? You can bet it won't be in their database.

I'm not totally sure on this, because I've never done either, but overwriting a few bytes and injecting a void should be a lot easier than writing your own hack.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2005, 09:29:08 pm »
People can't just stop buying programs, think of the dire consequences. There needs to be change, that's all I'm saying. Your black & white world isin't so black and white.
Well for 1.) they can CERTAINLY stop buying games.  There are no business-critical games in the world.  Second, yes, they can stop buying software.  What do you think the big deal is around Linux, StarOffice/OpenOffice, The GIMP, and open-source software?  If you don't like the way the company or entity is handling its software you can choose to go somewhere else.  But if you choose to stick with a particular vendor, you're making a choice to give up particular rights.

EULAs may or may not be out of control.  Personally, I think they're good for business.  I think some EULAs have fundamental errors, such as prohibition of the right to reverse-engineer, or the right to create a competing product (vis-a-vis Microsoft Access with SQL Server).  So you know what I do?  If I want to create a competing product to go against Access, I'll use MySQL.

I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline TheSickEmpire

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2005, 10:40:32 pm »
WoW doesn't have any compactity to grab your personal information, it's scanning processes, spyware on the other hand watches what sites you view, what (possibly) you download, etc.  Does Warden watch what sites you visit and what you download? No.

By definition it's not even spyware, for fucks sake TSE.

I never called it spyware. I called it an invasion of privacy. Yes, it does have the compacity to grab personal information. I consider my computer quite personal.

Well for 1.) they can CERTAINLY stop buying games.  There are no business-critical games in the world.

Well, no shit.

Second, yes, they can stop buying software.

Not at a cost. Switching an entire buisness' OS can be quite costly (as I'm sure you know).

EULAs may or may not be out of control.  Personally, I think they're good for business.

They're not just good, parts of them are essential. Sadly some companys feel the need to inject things that don't need to be there into their agreements.

I think some EULAs have fundamental errors, such as prohibition of the right to reverse-engineer, or the right to create a competing product (vis-a-vis Microsoft Access with SQL Server).  So you know what I do?  If I want to create a competing product to go against Access, I'll use MySQL.

You could do that, but you'd be in violation of their EULA.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2005, 10:35:39 am »
I never called it spyware. I called it an invasion of privacy. Yes, it does have the compacity to grab personal information. I consider my computer quite personal.
Refer to the topic's title, dolt. Let alone your topic you made saying this.

Every point you've made has been shot down, and yet you're still playing the game, and still arguing it's "spyware", and "invasion of privacy", so quit, $40 wont kill you.

Offline TheSickEmpire

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2005, 12:19:56 pm »
Refer to the topic's title, dolt. Let alone your topic you made saying this.

I didn't make this topic, nor did I make a topic calling it spyware.

Every point you've made has been shot down,

No. They haven't. I know this because you haven't answered every single one of my points.

and yet you're still playing the game,

Yes, and it's quite fun.

and still arguing it's "spyware",

Again, I never said it was spyware.

so quit, $40 wont kill you.

If we quit whenever something wasen't going our way we wouldn't be where we are now.