Author Topic: Ten Reasons to buy Windows Vista  (Read 55443 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Ten Reasons to buy Windows Vista
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 01:10:39 pm »
I don't care, Linux stole enough from Windows.

Hahahahahah.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 01:13:41 pm »
You can thank Windows for all of Linux's reversed Engineered drivers! Also for the hundreds of games now running via Cedega and Wine! No problem.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 01:22:20 pm »
...I can't believe people don't want Windows to upgrade security because "Done by BSD/Linux". I don't care, Linux stole enough from Windows. Go get your own damn drivers/software and stop using ndis wrappers and Wine before you start crying about who did what.

15 Minute install is possible. Done by Apple.

I (and most people I know) don't run ndis or wine.  And it's not fair to complain that Linux uses reverse-engineered Windows drivers for a lot of things because the companies who make the hardware only support Windows.  I think it's more impressive that the Linux people went to all the extra work. 

And it's not that I don't want Windows to upgrade security, you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.  They are calling security a "new feature", which I think is stupid.  They're advertising that they now have a secure operating system (which only took what, 20 years?) while every other OS beat them to it a long time ago.  That should hardly count as a "feature" of an OS, don't you agree?

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2006, 01:35:31 pm »
They made it secure?!  What did they do, remove all networking?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 01:39:16 pm »
They made it secure?!  What did they do, remove all networking?

No, they turned on the firewall by default.  That's LIKE security! 

1. Security, security, security: Windows XP Service Pack 2 patched a lot of holes, but Vista takes security to the next level. There are literally too many changes to list here, from the bidirectional software firewall that monitors inbound and outbound traffic to Windows Services Hardening, which prevents obscure background processes from being hijacked and changing your system. There's also full-disk encryption, which prevents thieves from accessing your data, even if they steal the PC out from under your nose.
Although all that's been done by other OSes, I have a feeling that it's going to end up being more annoying than anything.  They're taking away too much control from the Administrator, in my opinion.  But I guess we'll see. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2006, 01:43:42 pm »
I shall buy 2 Windows Vistas.  One for our desktop (finally clean that ewwy thing up) & one for my laptop

Vista is 64bit, yes?

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2006, 01:44:16 pm »
There's also full-disk encryption, which prevents thieves from accessing your data, even if they steal the PC out from under your nose.
[/quote]

I want my OS not to be able to be stolen in the first place! :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2006, 02:17:23 pm »
...I can't believe people don't want Windows to upgrade security because "Done by BSD/Linux". I don't care, Linux stole enough from Windows. Go get your own damn drivers/software and stop using ndis wrappers and Wine before you start crying about who did what.

15 Minute install is possible. Done by Apple.

I (and most people I know) don't run ndis or wine.  And it's not fair to complain that Linux uses reverse-engineered Windows drivers for a lot of things because the companies who make the hardware only support Windows.  I think it's more impressive that the Linux people went to all the extra work. 

Well, the fact that is IS there is enough for the sake of argument which makes them hypocrites for complaining whenever we implement a feature which all other OSes have. It isn't just us implementing it, it's us implementing it and building off it.

And it's not that I don't want Windows to upgrade security, you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.  They are calling security a "new feature", which I think is stupid.  They're advertising that they now have a secure operating system (which only took what, 20 years?) while every other OS beat them to it a long time ago.  That should hardly count as a "feature" of an OS, don't you agree?

Well XP's security suck (We can agree right?) and I'll admit Microsoft was in the wrong direction when they released XP, I think hailing it a new feature is alright since it shows they turned over a new leaf, started caring more about the customers and actually made something worth while. Let's not forget Vista isn't an improved XP, Vista is a whole new system. New network stack, code built off the Windows 2003 source, new permissions system, etc.. all of which contribute to thier "Security" feature.

I know it was unfair of me to make that comment but I just felt like pointing it out because I'm evil ;). Just so they know withought Windows they wouldn't have even basic 2D acceleration. Don't worry, no thanks necessary. (Kidding of course) :)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2006, 02:18:54 pm »
Vista is a whole new system. New network stack, code built off the Windows 2003 source, new permissions system, etc.. all of which contribute to thier "Security" feature.

The Windows "Whistler" was branched off into XP and 2003, according to what I've read and been told. So that's pretty contradictory right there.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2006, 02:24:51 pm »
Windows 2003 (The Base) originally branched from XP and evolved into it's own thing. Most of the kernel is rewritten in a more secure fashion. They sort of implemented SP2 at a lower level than a service pack and added a few fixes already noticeable after SP2. Win2k3 is considerably more stable and secure than XP.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006, 02:59:21 pm »

Well, the fact that is IS there is enough for the sake of argument which makes them hypocrites for complaining whenever we implement a feature which all other OSes have. It isn't just us implementing it, it's us implementing it and building off it.
[/quote]

So it's not a new and revolutionary feature.  That's what Microsoft is selling it as.  Problem?

Windows 2003 (The Base) originally branched from XP and evolved into it's own thing. Most of the kernel is rewritten in a more secure fashion. They sort of implemented SP2 at a lower level than a service pack and added a few fixes already noticeable after SP2. Win2k3 is considerably more stable and secure than XP.
XP and 2k3 suffer from most of the same flaws.  MS03-026 (Blaster worm) and MS04-011 (Sasser worm) come to mind.  So obviously they share a common code base. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2006, 03:06:28 pm »

So it's not a new and revolutionary feature.  That's what Microsoft is selling it as.  Problem?
[/quote]

New and revolutionary to Windows users. They shutout Linux from their thinking as much as possible.

XP and 2k3 suffer from most of the same flaws.  MS03-026 (Blaster worm) and MS04-011 (Sasser worm) come to mind.  So obviously they share a common code base. 

[/quote]

Both of which were patched, they in fact share significantly different codebases and I don't know about you but I'd rather have a Windows 2k3 based OS than a Windows XP based OS. (Also do you really remember those numbers...sheesh)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2006, 03:19:30 pm »
Its cool that Microsoft is implementing things everyone likes, however, it'd be cooler if they were the trend setters

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2006, 03:33:42 pm »
New and revolutionary to Windows users. They shutout Linux from their thinking as much as possible.
It's still nothing new, and I hate them selling it as something new.  It bugs me.  It just furthers my belief that Microsoft is full of crap.

Both of which were patched, they in fact share significantly different codebases and I don't know about you but I'd rather have a Windows 2k3 based OS than a Windows XP based OS. (Also do you really remember those numbers...sheesh)
They also share significantly similar codebases.  Otherwise they wouldn't have both been vulnerable. 

And yes, I remember those two numbers (as well as MS05-025) because they're all major vulnerabilities that I hear about a lot.  It saves a lot of time when I don't have to go figure out what they are when I see them.  And yes, they're extremely common. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2006, 03:53:56 pm »
It's still nothing new, and I hate them selling it as something new.  It bugs me.  It just furthers my belief that Microsoft is full of crap.

They also share significantly similar codebases.  Otherwise they wouldn't have both been vulnerable. 

And yes, I remember those two numbers (as well as MS05-025) because they're all major vulnerabilities that I hear about a lot.  It saves a lot of time when I don't have to go figure out what they are when I see them.  And yes, they're extremely common. 
If it is new to MS why not sell it as new (since it is).

The idea may not be new, but physically for Win users it is