Author Topic: The "Post Your Character" Thread  (Read 61962 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: The "Post Your Character" Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2006, 07:13:51 pm »
... ? I decided I'd take the ez mode way of being a rogue, problem?

Haven't you been belittling swords every time we discuss the issue? :P

I like to think of it as the 'smart' and 'efficient' way, but I suppose I'll leave your own word choice to you. ;)

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2006, 07:18:27 pm »
... ? I decided I'd take the ez mode way of being a rogue, problem?

Haven't you been belittling swords every time we discuss the issue? :P

I like to think of it as the 'smart' and 'efficient' way, but I suppose I'll leave your own word choice to you. ;)
I was belittling how easy it is, yes. I took out a warrior today in WSG without even trying, it's just an unskilled spec in general, but I decided I'd have some fun being a fury warrior.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2006, 08:13:36 pm »
I was belittling how easy it is, yes. I took out a warrior today in WSG without even trying, it's just an unskilled spec in general, but I decided I'd have some fun being a fury warrior.

That's like saying a programmer is unskilled for using a superior language.  Your claims are asinine. :P

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2006, 08:54:34 pm »

That's like saying a programmer is unskilled for using a superior language.  Your claims are asinine. :P
That's not even a good comparison, there's a huge difference between a spec that takes all of two buttons to use and a programming language that's a little..cleaner. You still have

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2006, 11:10:53 pm »
That's not even a good comparison, there's a huge difference between a spec that takes all of two buttons to use and a programming language that's a little..cleaner. You still have

Nice job not finishing your post, asshole. :(

I think it's a fine comparison, though I'm aware of its obvious flaws.  Perfect analogies don't exist.  The point of an analogy is to put something in a more universal realm into the context of something more obscure and less understood.

In any case, I don't know what this "two buttons" non-sense is about.  How many buttons do you use as a dagger rogue?  What's the skill difference between spamming backstab and spamming sinister strike?  Running behind an enemy?  I could train my sister to do this in less than a minute. . .

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2006, 08:12:24 pm »
Sinister Strike - Eviscerate.

Daggers actually require stunlocks to beat your opponent, stealth, you know, strategy.

The only problem I have right now is I'm a big numbers whore, even though I generally do more damage, I don't see as many crits, so I'm probably going back to daggers come 1.12, and waiting till I get a second sword/fist better then Protector's Sword.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2006, 09:22:54 pm »
Sinister Strike - Eviscerate.

Daggers actually require stunlocks to beat your opponent, stealth, you know, strategy.

I have no clue what you're talking about.  In PvP, I use Gouge, Kidney Shot and Slice & Dice frequently.  I use the same skills (and probably more I'm not remembering...) at least every other battle.  I use Slice & Dice at the beginning of every combat sequence.

Again... you seem to think that the entire game revolves around PvP.

The only problem I have right now is I'm a big numbers whore, even though I generally do more damage, I don't see as many crits, so I'm probably going back to daggers come 1.12, and waiting till I get a second sword/fist better then Protector's Sword.

I don't really blame you, but I had a hard time using daggers... the sustained damage doesn't really compare in the long run if you're using equivilant weapons.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2006, 09:40:32 pm »
It only seems like I'm revolving it around pvp because that's the only place I can compare them because when it comes to pve it's the same for ANY class. The same few buttons being spammed over and over. Some kind of arguement that'd be.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2006, 10:11:53 pm »
It only seems like I'm revolving it around pvp because that's the only place I can compare them because when it comes to pve it's the same for ANY class. The same few buttons being spammed over and over. Some kind of arguement that'd be.

Hahaha.  No.  I'll name off the spells I use on my Priest in a raid:

Flash Heal (several ranks)
 Heal (several ranks)
 Greater Heal (several ranks)
 Renew
 Power Word: Shield
 Wand
 Buffs: Prayer of Fortitude, Prayer of Spirit, Prayer of Shadow Protection
 Shadow Word: Pain
 Smite
 Mana Burn

Those are the ones I can think of off of the top of my head.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2006, 10:47:15 pm »
If you're using Heal, Greater Heal, SW:P, or Smite in a raid, sorry but you're an idiot. Unless you have 8/8 Trans (which you don't) there's no reason to use it, this leaving you with the following:

Flash Heal
Renew
PW:S
Buffs
Wand
Mana Burn

Now, the only time you will EVER use Mana Burn in a raid that I know of is in AQ40, this being on two occasions, and there's several in AQ20. Wand you will only ever need if you run out of mana, which you should never have to in a single fight because if you knew how to heal you wouldn't be using the full rank of Flash Heal (Rank 7). Buffs don't count, they're also not a consistantly used skill, they're used once before a boss (sometimes trash mobs), this leaves you at:

Flash Heal
Renew

I've healed in MC/BWL/AQ20 on two different priests, and always have been fine, so you can't tell me I don't know how a priest works end-game.

Wether you like it or not, that's what end game raiding scales down to, and the newer instances (AQ-Naxx) require even less work from priests, and more out of melee movement wise.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2006, 11:18:30 pm »
If you're using Heal, Greater Heal, SW:P, or Smite in a raid, sorry but you're an idiot. Unless you have 8/8 Trans (which you don't) there's no reason to use it, this leaving you with the following

It's somewhat funny that you should say that, because I would say anyone who doesn't use Heal or Greater Heal in a raid is an idiot, or at least a very unlearned Priest.

I've done several analysis sessions on all of the different healing spells and I suppose you'll be shocked to find out that Heal is one of the most efficient spells possible.  Its obvious drawback is that it doesn't heal for much, but its advantages far outweigh this simple disadvantage in most situations.

It's a slow spell -- Spell damage/healing bonus is more benefical with slow spells.  The simplified version of spell/healing bonus for a specific spell is: (BaseBuffBonus * (CastTime / 3.5)).  The slower the spell, the more beneficial +Healing gear becomes.  For this reason, Flash Heal is much less efficient to use in this aspect.

It has a relatively low mana cost -- Rank 3 costs 305 mana by default, which is 80% of the top rank of Flash Heal.  The top rank of Flash Heal is 380 mana for approximately the same amount of healing, after +Healing is considered.

Heal is affected by Improved Healing -- This Holy talent does not affect Flash Heal.  This reduces the mana cost of Rank 3 to 216 Mana, which is 57% the cost of Flash Heal (Rank 7).

A simple base comparison for healing spells that I commonly use is casting the spell until you run out of mana, considering mana regeneration while casting.  The most efficient rank of each spell (after considering +healing) is always the first rank.  However, the obvious problem with that is the amount of healing isn't nearly enough to keep up with damage in most situations, so a comprimise is usually made.  I tend to choose a rank in the middle of the possible given ranks, which in Heal's case is 2 or 3.  I chose 3.  Using this situation in my gear, Heal (Rank 3) produces an average of 50,881 points of healing with a possible 47 casts.  Flash Heal (Rank 4) produces an average of 30,703 points of healing with a possible 45 casts.  Flash Heal (Rank 7) produces an average of 26,020 points of healing with a possible 23 cats.  As you can see, Heal is significantly better.  In fact, if you're using the top rank of Flash Heal, it's nearly twice as good.

I use Greater Heal an average of once per combat, depending on my specified role.  Using the same comparison, Greater Heal (Rank 5, the one obtained from a book in AQ) produces an average of 35,540 points of healing with a possible 14 casts.  Rank 3 produces 38,227 points of healing with a posible 19 casts.  The problem with Greater Heal is that the amount healed between ranks varies so little that +Healing doesn't make a significant difference in comparison to other spells, such as Heal and Flash Heal.  The marvelous thing with this spell, though, is its pure healing potential.  If it becomes apparent that someone is going to soon be clobbered, this is a great spell to use.  Another considerable disadvantage it entails, though, is its high mana cost.  The top rank is nearly twice the cost of the previously discussed spells, which is why I don't use it nearly as much.

I use SW:P and Smite when there's no healing that needs done and I have mana to expend.  I realize that it's nearly a complete waste of mana, but they are definitely spells I use.  Smite is higher DPS than a wand and it doesn't have the rediculous amount of aggro associated with it that Mind Blast does.

Now, the only time you will EVER use Mana Burn in a raid that I know of is in AQ40, this being on two occasions, and there's several in AQ20. Wand you will only ever need if you run out of mana, which you should never have to in a single fight because if you knew how to heal you wouldn't be using the full rank of Flash Heal (Rank 7). Buffs don't count, they're also not a consistantly used skill, they're used once before a boss (sometimes trash mobs), this leaves you at:

There is more than two Obsidian Guardian things in AQ40.  I'm pretty sure there are 3 or 4. :P

It is unwise to expend your entire mana pool without trying to perserve it by allowing for full regeneration unless it is necessary.  In fights that last much longer than 3 minutes, I will stop casting for 10-30 seconds to allow my mana to regenerate at ~170% of the rate it does while casting.

You're misusing the word "consistently."  The spells aren't used often in relation to others, but they're definitely used consistently.

Flash Heal
Renew

I've healed in MC/BWL/AQ20 on two different priests, and always have been fine, so you can't tell me I don't know how a priest works end-game.

Anyone can be a competent healer.  It honestly doesn't take much skill.  It takes more than intuition to be an excellent healer.  You may know how to play a Priest end-game, but that doesn't mean you understand everything about them.  You've already made it obvious that this isn't the case.

Wether you like it or not, that's what end game raiding scales down to, and the newer instances (AQ-Naxx) require even less work from priests, and more out of melee movement wise.

Too bad you're wrong. :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 11:22:09 pm by Sidoh »

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2006, 11:30:00 pm »
Hahaha.  No.  I'll name off the spells I use on my Priest in a raid:

Flash Heal (several ranks)
 Heal (several ranks)
 Greater Heal (several ranks)
 Renew
 Power Word: Shield
 Wand
 Buffs: Prayer of Fortitude, Prayer of Spirit, Prayer of Shadow Protection
 Shadow Word: Pain
 Smite
 Mana Burn

Those are the ones I can think of off of the top of my head.
I'd so have Inner Fire up so I could go tank.
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2006, 11:31:25 pm »
I'd so have Inner Fire up so I could go tank.

Haha, oops.  I meant to put that, but looks like I spaced it out. :(

I'm still in the old habit of casting it every time I remember, which is generally a few times in a three-minute interval.  I adopted this habit when the duration of the buff was only 3 minutes.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2006, 11:49:05 pm »
It's somewhat funny that you should say that, because I would say anyone who doesn't use Heal or Greater Heal in a raid is an idiot, or at least a very unlearned Priest.
I really hope you're not healing the Main Tank, because that's just stupid.

I use SW:P and Smite when there's no healing that needs done and I have mana to expend.  I realize that it's nearly a complete waste of mana, but they are definitely spells I use.  Smite is higher DPS than a wand and it doesn't have the rediculous amount of aggro associated with it that Mind Blast does.
If you're using dps spells as a healer, once again, that's stupid. You're obviously not doing new content and basing everything on your MC raids, try doing that in a guild that actually wants to get through AQ/Naxx, yeah, bye bye guild.

There is more than two Obsidian Guardian things in AQ40.  I'm pretty sure there are 3 or 4. Tongue
...My point stands.

Anyone can be a competent healer.  It honestly doesn't take much skill.  It takes more than intuition to be an excellent healer.  You may know how to play a Priest end-game, but that doesn't mean you understand everything about them.  You've already made it obvious that this isn't the case.
And the way you heal REALLY is not impressive. All you showed me was that you can overheal, heal slower, save 80 mana, and dps as a healer.

I can use rank 3-4 FH's, heal faster, save more mana, heal perfectly fine, and not have to worry about a damned thing the whole fight.

Too bad you're wrong. Tongue

Really? So name to me the fights in AQ you consistantly move. Twin Emps, what else? BWL? MC?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2006, 12:12:32 am »
I really hope you're not healing the Main Tank, because that's just stupid.

I really hope you actually read my post, instead of hastily formulating a silly retort preemptively:

[...] Its obvious drawback is that it doesn't heal for much, but its advantages far outweigh this simple disadvantage in most situations. [...]

Main Tank healing is clearly an exception, assuming that you're one of few healers doing it.  If there are 3-5 healers on them at all times, though, Heal is perfectly sufficient -- even for boss fights.  I've done it.  It works great.  The best Priests I know use it as well.  Read my fucking post.

Main Tank healing is one of several possible roles as a healer.  I generally assign myself to mass cross-healing, which is also vital to a raid's viability.

If you're using dps spells as a healer, once again, that's stupid. You're obviously not doing new content and basing everything on your MC raids, try doing that in a guild that actually wants to get through AQ/Naxx, yeah, bye bye guild.

Yes, Screenor.  I do it in vitally important, new, uncovered content.  I like to poke all the bugs I can in the Twin Emps fight.

Since you're clearly incapable of discovering intuitive subtleties, I'll make this one more explicit for you: </sarcasm>.  I use DPS spells when I'm bored and there's nothing else to do.

And the way you heal REALLY is not impressive. All you showed me was that you can overheal, heal slower, save 80 mana, and dps as a healer.

The way you read is really depressing.  You're clearly incapable of devoting your attention to a few paragraphs.  I explained it perfectly well, but you obviously didn't understand a thing I said.

I have a few questions and counter-points regarding your silly, wrong accusations:

-- How does anything I posted above construe inevitable overhealing?
 -- Using slower healing spells have significant advantages.  READ THIS:

Spell damage/healing bonus is more benefical with slow spells.  The simplified version of spell/healing bonus for a specific spell is: (BaseBuffBonus * (CastTime / 3.5)).  The slower the spell, the more beneficial +Healing gear becomes.  For this reason, Flash Heal is much less efficient to use in this aspect.

-- 80 mana may sound insignificant alone, but when you put it into the scope of the issue at hand, it becomes much more considerable.  Flash Heal (Rank 7) is 380 mana.  Heal (Rank 3) is 305 by default.  After Improved Healing, which nearly any raid-healing Prieset has, it becomes 216 mana.  Even at 305 mana, it is 20% less than Flash Heal R7.  At 217 mana, it is 47% less.  When casting this 50 times, 80 mana becomes 4000 mana.  Likewise, 163 mana becomes 8150 mana.  In order to understand what I'm attempting to explain to you, I think you're going to have to turn your brain on.

-- I don't make serious attempts to DPS as a healer.  It's more of a leisurely attempt to entertain myself than anything intentionally productive.

I can use rank 3-4 FH's, heal faster, save more mana, heal perfectly fine, and not have to worry about a damned thing the whole fight.

Again: you must have missed the entire point of what I posted above.  Healing faster isn't necessarily better.  Please, recurse over what I've scribed into the ledgendary logs of this post before you continue.  Comprehend what I post and maybe you'll see that what I'm trying to say completely nullifies nearly every point you've attempted to make in this argument.

I have more counter-points, some of which are reiterations:

-- Healing faster isn't always better.  If a person is going to die unless you heal them in a timeframe that is only presented by Flash Heal, then it's obviously the best spell to use.  If this isn't the case, however, (which is far and away the most common case) using slower healing spells is more efficient.

-- You don't save more mana.  I've already explained to you that Heal is more efficient.  Flash Heal (Rank 4) produces an average heal of 710 with 600 +Healing while costing 215 mana.  With the same amount, Heal (Rank 3) yields a median recovery of 1,138 hit points, while costing a nearly identical 216 mana.  Over the course of 50 casts, 1 mana obviously becomes 50 mana lost to using Heal in place of Flash Heal.  However, 420 points of healing becomes 21,000 points of healing over the course of 50 casts.  Heal (Rank 3) is enormously more efficient than any rank of Flash Heal, including Rank 1.

Really? So name to me the fights in AQ you consistantly move. Twin Emps, what else? BWL? MC?

Fights where I consistently move?  What do you mean, move?  Change the location of my character on the map?  Chromaggus, Flamegor, Firemaw, Nefarian, Ragnaros... approximately 50% of the boss fights in the instances I've ran require intentional movement of my character.

Unfortunately for you, though, moving around isn't difficult.  It's a sequence of reactions that can almost always be purely driven by intuition, whereas healing requires constant, rough efficiency analysations if you wish to excel in your role.  Efficiency analysis can't be driven by intuition... it is driven by attentive, logical and swift thought.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:18:01 am by Sidoh »