Author Topic: Pulling text from Internet Explorer/FireFox/any browser  (Read 4511 times)

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
Pulling text from Internet Explorer/FireFox/any browser
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:48:27 pm »
Is it possible to pull the entire page source from an external program?  If it is, any ideas how this can be done? :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Pulling text from Internet Explorer/FireFox/any browser
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 04:03:43 pm »
Is it possible to pull the entire page source from an external program?  If it is, any ideas how this can be done? :P

My best guess would be finding the URL of the page currently being viewed and then get the source through WinSock or INet, if you're using VB.

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 04:07:46 pm »

My best guess would be finding the URL of the page currently being viewed and then get the source through WinSock or INet, if you're using VB.
I thought about doing that too, but then after thinking about it some, it wouldn't work too well with dynamic websites.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 04:09:41 pm »
Hook the process and read the Gecko pane (Mozilla/Firefox/Opera) or the view pane (IE, AOL).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 04:12:39 pm »
I thought about doing that too, but then after thinking about it some, it wouldn't work too well with dynamic websites.

It would work just fine if you took care to send all the correct headers, which wouldn't be too much of a chore.  Using another method would present the same "problem" if you don't want to content to change.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 04:25:09 pm »
I'd use Inet, simpler than hooking and same functionality.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 05:26:28 pm »
I came up with a better idea on what I wanted to do without using a browser.  Though feel free to post any other ideas on how to go about doing this if you think of any, in case I ever want to come back later. :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 06:01:52 pm »
Let's hear it, Wires.  I highly suspect its a slightly modified version of one of the ideas already posted. =P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 06:58:14 pm »
I was going to ask what the ultimate goal was, since it sounded like you were doing it the hard way :P

I find that when somebody is asking me how to do something weird, the best question is "what is your ultimate goal?" and generally there's an easier way. 

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 08:39:56 pm »
Let's hear it, Wires.  I highly suspect its a slightly modified version of one of the ideas already posted. =P
It doesn't have anything to do with any of the ideas listed, don't even need to be connected.  I'll post what I'm working on in a few days whenever I get it fully working. :P

I was going to ask what the ultimate goal was, since it sounded like you were doing it the hard way :P

I find that when somebody is asking me how to do something weird, the best question is "what is your ultimate goal?" and generally there's an easier way. 
Basically I wanted to find text in the browser then have my program parse key words to do different operations.  I've pretty much given up on it for now.

EDIT: Either way, what I was trying to do before most likely violated the TOS. :\

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 08:59:03 pm »
EDIT: Either way, what I was trying to do before most likely violated the TOS. :\

I'm positive JynxBot is against WoW's ToS and you don't see MyndFyre throwing it in the trash bin, do you? =P

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 09:03:23 pm »

I'm positive JynxBot is against WoW's ToS and you don't see MyndFyre throwing it in the trash bin, do you? =P
I'm not talking about quitting the project, or against any of the Browser's TOS.  The idea was most likely against the website's TOS.  When I get my program working the way I want, I'll give more information about it. :P

Until then: http://www.x86labs.org:81/forum/index.php/topic,6386.0.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 09:05:03 pm by WiReS »