Author Topic: Sigur Ros  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Sigur Ros
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 11:22:18 am »
Well, I was talking about beauty, not football. I think beauty is somewhat objective and somewhat subjective. For instance, there are certain paintings and music and other works of art that are successful because they are thought to be beautiful by experts in that field.

Whether or not beauty has an objective measure is a deep philosophical issue. There have been experiments where they show a newborn baby a picture of a woman deemed beautiful by society and a woman deemed ugly by society. One of my teachers told me that the results of these experiments turned out that the baby's pupil enlarged more over the beautiful woman, although whether the results are statistically significant is another matter.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:24:23 am by Ender »

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 10:00:27 pm »
I was turned onto this music through a friend in the Netherlands.. We were playing Worms Armaggedon. :P

I like it, but I can take only a limited amount of the calmness.

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 10:14:35 pm »
Well, I was talking about beauty, not football. I think beauty is somewhat objective and somewhat subjective. For instance, there are certain paintings and music and other works of art that are successful because they are thought to be beautiful by experts in that field.

You nullified any objectivity contained in the word "beauty" by saying "[...] thought to be beautiful by experts in that field."  It doesn't matter if it is popularly agreed upon or if "experts in the field" believe that it's attractive.  There are a large number of experts in the field of music, but it is obvious that not all of them consider some of their coleagues music "beautiful."  For example, I highly doubt that Bach would have found Slayer's music beautiful.  The football example was obviously an analogy.  It isn't necessary for analogous statements to have material connection to the subject they are compared to.

Whether or not beauty has an objective measure is a deep philosophical issue. There have been experiments where they show a newborn baby a picture of a woman deemed beautiful by society and a woman deemed ugly by society. One of my teachers told me that the results of these experiments turned out that the baby's pupil enlarged more over the beautiful woman, although whether the results are statistically significant is another matter.

Not really.  Beauty is very much opinionated.  It is nonsense to break the word "beautiful" into constituent meanings and classify them as objective or subjective.

Also, just because babies are incapable of expressing their feelings does not mean that they don't have opinions.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 11:29:18 pm by Sidoh »