Author Topic: Finally...  (Read 15657 times)

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
Re: Finally...
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2006, 10:18:15 am »
Hunters are just like warlocks in a sense, just more based around kiting. Both classes which are very overpowered. I don't look at that from a rogue point of view, I look at that from a every other class in the game point of view, people who play the classes in my guild even agree with that.

How are they "very overpowered."  I'd like to her rational explanation.

Concussive shot then when they're at max range, and if their a meele class they have to run to you, slowly. If they're a ranged class, your pet's fast attack speed (rather than slow attack and high damage) breaks their spellcasting over and over. Generally, nobody ever gets a shot off on a hunter unless they have good end-game gear.

I hate to say this, but Joe got that perfectly correct.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2006, 04:56:46 pm »
Note also wingclip and scatter shot make for decent kiting, as well as feigndeath+iceblock, and a caster can be easily 2-3 shotted unless I'm feared or seduced. Which is why I hate warlocks.

Really though, while hunters have abilities that make them "overpowered", a smart player knows how to get out of them. I could kill any class, but any class could kill me. Some classes do have an advantage over others, but generally, a class that seems "overpowered" is someone just playing their class really well. A hunter is just, frankly, a lot easier than other classes. In my opinion, most purely-DPS classes are. That's just from my experience, though, and I haven't played all the classes very far in the game. I could be wrong.

I personally don't PvP a lot. I like PvE more, which is why I'm excited about end-game so much. I like PvP, but my computer can't handle it very well, so I generally tend to stay away from it.

EDIT: Iceblock, wtf? I meant Freezing Trap. It looks  like an iceblock, though. ^^
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:40:51 pm by Kaleeko »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2006, 05:08:52 pm »
Concussive shot then when they're at max range, and if their a meele class they have to run to you, slowly. If they're a ranged class, your pet's fast attack speed (rather than slow attack and high damage) breaks their spellcasting over and over. Generally, nobody ever gets a shot off on a hunter unless they have good end-game gear.

Wrong.

Warlocks have Void Walker sacrifice and fear.  Mages have Mana Shield and/or Ice Barrier and Blink..  Priests have Power World: Shield and an instant cast fear spell.  Warriors have Intercept Stun and an instant cast fear spell.  Rogues have sprint and vanish and an assload of stuns.  Shaman can kill with instant cast spells.  Paladins have two bubble spells and a ranged stun.  Druids have shapeshift.

Hunters are easy to beat on my Priest.  They're harder on my Rogue, but that's because my gear sucks.

Now that I've disproven your point that clearly had no thought put into it, I'll make this explicit: PvP isn't the only activity in WoW.  Try raiding with a hunter.  Unless you're using Tranq shot, tell me how important you feel.

I hate to say this, but Joe got that perfectly correct.

You're not thinking hard enough.

Note also wingclip and scatter shot make for decent kiting, as well as feigndeath+iceblock, and a caster can be easily 2-3 shotted unless I'm feared or seduced. Which is why I hate warlocks.

Really though, while hunters have abilities that make them "overpowered", a smart player knows how to get out of them. I could kill any class, but any class could kill me. Some classes do have an advantage over others, but generally, a class that seems "overpowered" is someone just playing their class really well. A hunter is just, frankly, a lot easier than other classes. In my opinion, most purely-DPS classes are. That's just from my experience, though, and I haven't played all the classes very far in the game. I could be wrong.

I personally don't PvP a lot. I like PvE more, which is why I'm excited about end-game so much. I like PvP, but my computer can't handle it very well, so I generally tend to stay away from it.

My Priest has 4K health self-buffed.  You can do 1300-1400 damage with 2-3 shots? :\

My Rogue has 3K health unbuffed... that's still a lot ot 3 shot unless someone's sitting down and letting you hit them with Aimed Shot.  I have an easy time beating hunters on my Priest.  I can heal WAY faster than they can DPS and they don't have much of a way of stopping it.  In 1.5 seconds, I can heal myself for 1300-1900.  In 2.5 seconds, 3000-4000.  On top of that, I can cast a shield that absorbs 1000 damage and use Renew, which heals for 330 every 3 seconds.

The only way a Hunter will beat me is if they manage to drain my mana, but I'm much better at doing that.  They usually get one viper sting off, but that's not that big of a deal, as I have 8100 mana unbuffed.  I'll run up, fear, cast Mana Burn a couple of times and they're completely out of mana.  It usually doesn't take more than 3-4 casts.  Then, I just put SW:P on them, follow them around and keep PW:S and Renew up... it's ez mode :p

You're right there... the ability to defeat another class is awarded when you understand how your opponent works.  I've played a hunter a decent amount.  I know their abilities and I know how to counter them.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2006, 05:29:23 pm »
Haha. Well, understand I just came out of the 50-59 bracket, and few casters had that many hit points. Assumed, 3k max. That's what our priest has, so I'd figured about that much against an opposing priest.

If I get the first shot off, that's a 2000+ aimed shot crit, otherwise 1000k regularly, immediatly followed by autoshot. If you've played a hunter, you might know that the shot right after aimed shot, for some reason, seems to crit 90% of the time, which is another 500-600 damage. Multishot can then be instantly cast for 400 damage, 800-1000 if crit. That's a very dead priest very quickly, if you ask me. Though, this really only happens if they're caught off guard. That can be pretty difficult to achieve, but it's possible. Though, if they have more hit points, are quick on the fly (aka have a better computer than I do and actually see their health dropping rapidly), they'll bubble. Send in pet, feigndeath+shadowmeld (it can work, sometimes), and then quickly get off another spell once the bubble breaks.

That's completely hypothetical, though. Unfortuately, in a lot of circumstances in PvP, everyone wants the hunter dead. So, I'd never be competing just against that priest, and that priest more than likely wouldn't just be dealing with me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 05:38:10 pm »
If I'm PvPing, I'm using SCT.  I'm going to immediately notice that I just lost 2000 HP in a single blow.  I'll instantaneously put up PW:S and start to cast Flash Heal and continue doing so until I'm at 100% health.  The funny thing about NE's Shadowmelding on me, though, is that I always use Perception to counter it.  I can see them up to 10 yards away, so it's no big deal seeing through it.

I'm wondering if the Priests you fought used Inner Fire.  It nearly doubles damage reduction. :|

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 05:46:14 pm »
Can Shadow priests use inner fire?** Most priests I deal with are shadow. Note, I don't tend to attack people that are going to deal with me right away. I almost always attack people that are busy, because then I'm less likely going to die. For instance, right after I see a priest lose their bubble, if they're mind flaying someone, etc. My preference is to remain hidden for as long as possible, because when you have a computer that runs as slow as mine, you can't react to being attacked very quickly. I use the element of surprise as often as possible. I must play against really stupid people, because 8 times out of 10, they die. :)

And, NE's shadowmeld on you? I didn't know that your priest was Horde. <3 But wait, if your priest is horde, how can you use perception? *gasp*

** In shadowform
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:59:32 pm by Kaleeko »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2006, 06:16:57 pm »
Yes.  Inner Fire is a trainable spell that increases armor by 1300 when level 60.

Also, I'm doubting you've faced any Soul Link warlocks.  They're effectively mail - plate wearers as long as their pets are still alive.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2006, 06:22:06 pm »
Warlocks don't count. They're the only class I really fear. Literally. Haha. ;) Though, it is always the pet that dies first. I don't tend to kill warlocks, though. I stay the fuck away from them.

And, I know what inner fire is, but I thought it was Holy. Must be Discipline, then?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2006, 06:27:23 pm »
Warlocks don't count. They're the only class I really fear. Literally. Haha. ;) Though, it is always the pet that dies first. I don't tend to kill warlocks, though. I stay the fuck away from them.

And, I know what inner fire is, but I thought it was Holy. Must be Discipline, then?

How I wish you would have met my Rogue in the 40's bracket... :p

Come to FM and duel my priest. ;)

It's in the Discipline school, but any priest can learn it.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2006, 08:18:46 pm »
Now that I've disproven your point that clearly had no thought put into it, I'll make this explicit: PvP isn't the only activity in WoW.
You're not thinking hard enough.

Out of curiocity, why do you take the "I'm better than you so I'll say what I want, how I want to" approach on half the topics on these forums?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2006, 12:54:08 am »
Out of curiocity, why do you take the "I'm better than you so I'll say what I want, how I want to" approach on half the topics on these forums?

Curiosity inspires defense by false claims? :P

If that's the case, then half of the replies I make on these forums are responses to people who were wrong.  That's an exaggeration, though... I think we both know that. :P

I stated that hunter's aren't overpowered.  You gave a pseudo-valid response involving their superiority in PvP, even though almost every class has a counter-measure for the strategy you explained.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2006, 02:08:00 am »
Eh, well, it came out wrong the way you said it. :)

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2006, 02:24:11 am »

How I wish you would have met my Rogue in the 40's bracket... :p

Come to FM and duel my priest. ;)

It's in the Discipline school, but any priest can learn it.

Hehe. Trust me, your priest would beat my hunters' ass. 1v1, I personally am terrible. Lag, plus lack of PvP experience, plus very terrible gear. If you get one fear off, I'd be toast, lol.

And, duh. ;) But, if it was holy a holy spell, than priests in shadowform wouldn't be able to cast it. At least, to my knowledge?

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2006, 07:47:53 am »
Sidoh plays on an RP server, so from what he's told me I've never been impressed by the "skill" of players there. That's why when he tells me anything relevant to pvp I just ignore him because he's usually wrong. I don't know how it is with other RP servers, but when cross-realm BG's come out and I'm pugging with Thorium Brotherhood I'm not expecting to see much.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2006, 07:50:30 am »
Yeah Sidoh, wasn't your raid like 20-manning Naxx or something rediculously amazing like that? You shouldn't talk about PvP stuff when you're decked out in full tier 4 like that. :)