Author Topic: Status quo  (Read 7064 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Status quo
« on: August 15, 2006, 11:42:07 pm »
My parents grounded me for playing too much WoW. Naturally, I believe it's ridiculous, so I'm gonna give them crap about it until they break and give up. So, if I'm not online for a while, I'm not dead.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Status quo
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:47:25 pm »
My parents grounded me for playing too much WoW. Naturally, I believe it's ridiculous, so I'm gonna give them crap about it until they break and give up.

Heh. If I were your parents, I'd just stop making payments on WoW and announce to you "if you plan to continue playing WoW, get a job or start paying for it."

If it were your money, your parents really can't do shit about it. It's your money, you can spend it how you wish. Especially during summer... if it were during school I could understand it.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 11:51:01 pm »
I agree with your parents, Joe.  Also, Newby has a valid point.  One thing he overlooked, though: they pay for internet and electricity.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 11:52:55 pm »
It *is* my money. :)

@Sidoh:
Boo. Perhaps asking me to cut back, but grounding me completely is just asking for me to get pissed and never talk to them again. They won't even give me a ride to church tomorrow, and claim it's to *stop* me from playing WoW. Flawed logic, anyone?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 11:55:59 pm »
I agree with your parents, Joe.  Also, Newby has a valid point.  One thing he overlooked, though: they pay for internet and electricity.

They both use the electricity and internet, and playing a game doesn't really spike either of them into red zones that Joe should pay for. At least, as far as I know, it wouldn't really be necessary.

WoW is $15 a month that they aren't able to use, and don't particularly care to I wager.

It *is* my money. :)

Tell your parents to suck on a bible. If it's truly your money, explain that to them. Explain that you want to play the game, and you pay to play the game, and that if they have a problem with that they can refund any money that you are charged in the future that you feel you didn't get the full product out of.

@Sidoh:
Boo. Perhaps asking me to cut back, but grounding me completely is just asking for me to get pissed and never talk to them again. They won't even give me a ride to church tomorrow, and claim it's to *stop* me from playing WoW. Flawed logic, anyone?

If it's becoming a problem in your life, cutting back may be a good thing. Stopping something cold turkey is stupid. Only if it's a drastic problem should it be stopped dead in its tracks.

As for not giving you a ride to church... perhaps it's for the best, Mr. "I won't go to MIT if I get a 100% scholarship beacuse I'd rather go to clown college!"
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 11:57:25 pm »
They both use the electricity and internet, and playing a game doesn't really spike either of them into red zones that Joe should pay for. At least, as far as I know, it wouldn't really be necessary.

Yeah, but they could throw his breaker switch and deroute the line feeding him internet. :P

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 12:09:52 am »
I suggest MyndFyre's Solution To EverythingTM.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 12:11:44 am »
I suggest MyndFyre's Solution To EverythingTM.

Excellent suggestion.  I concur.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 12:47:52 am »
@rabbit: no.

@Sidoh: My dialup is on a LAN and Wifi (laugh, please!) and the only phone line going *anywhere* in our house goes from the utility room straight to the back of my brother's computer. The power idea still works, but I'd just book it out of here.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 12:54:21 am »
@Sidoh: My dialup is on a LAN and Wifi (laugh, please!) and the only phone line going *anywhere* in our house goes from the utility room straight to the back of my brother's computer. The power idea still works, but I'd just book it out of here.

Then they could put your MAC address on the deny filter. :p

The power idea solves the internet problem anyway.  Plus, it takes a lot less expertice to do that. :)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 12:59:46 am »
Yeah, but they could throw his breaker switch.:P
Thanks for bringing the bad memories back, asshole.  :P

My dad actually did that. When he did it, I asked how I was supposed to wake up in the morning.  His answer, "Grab and extension cord and plug your alarm clock into it." Well, the only extension cords we had were around ten feet, so I couldn't get my computer plugged in. :(
errr... something like that...

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 09:12:11 am »
Joe, get broadband.  It will "help with school work".

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 12:26:56 pm »

He's said a few times that he can't.  He lives somewhere were there isn't decently priced broadband (which I find strage... there are 2,000 people where I live... the next town is 50 miles away and I can still get TWO kinds of ADSL) and he's too poor to pay for satellite DSL and too damn lazy to get a job.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 03:21:42 pm »

He's said a few times that he can't.  He lives somewhere were there isn't decently priced broadband (which I find strage... there are 2,000 people where I live... the next town is 50 miles away and I can still get TWO kinds of ADSL) and he's too poor to pay for satellite DSL and too damn lazy to get a job.
Like I care how much he pays for braodband?  Broadband is broadband.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 09:14:28 pm »

I couldn't get ADSL here for the longest time, I just had to check the company's map every couple weeks and watch the green area slowly approach my area.  I think it's city-wide now