Author Topic: Windows vs Linux  (Read 2153 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Windows vs Linux
« on: March 01, 2005, 08:52:36 pm »
TANK Ex Mortis: I HATE WINDOWS!!!11one
AkiraBlast45387: ha
AkiraBlast45387: y?
TANK Ex Mortis: "Cannot delete file: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."
TANK Ex Mortis: WHAT FILE, YOU SHITHOLE OPERATING SYSTEM!?
TANK Ex Mortis: If I was on Linux, it'd be like "There was an error, program X doesn't want you to delete that file. Here's a helpful link to teach you how to get around that. Would you like some tea?"
TANK Ex Mortis: Of course, when I want to install something on Linux, it says "You can't install that until you install these 50 libraries, update these 3 drives, downgrade this 1 driver, and pick my mom up from the airport."
TANK Ex Mortis: Whereas with Windows, it says "Click the next button over and over again until the program is installed. It will then work perfectly unless it doesn't."
TANK Ex Mortis: Unless it's made by Valve, in which case it says "DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE" and blows up your computer. ;_;

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: Windows vs Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 09:06:51 pm »
That's almost true. Except Linux would have you su root and delete the file that's in use :p

VALVe's products don't suck [that much].
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 09:51:37 am »
That guy is wrong about just about everything. 

On Windows, you can get a piece of software called Process Viewer (www.sysinternals.net) which is like a Task Manager to the Extreme.  It lets you see the open files and folders.

On Linux, you can delete a file that's in use as long as you own it.  Or if you're root, you can delete any file.  You can use lsof (list open files) to find out who's using it.

The only real difference here is that Linux has the software to check who's using the file open by default.

And on a good Distro (like Slackware), you rarely have to install libraries.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 10:21:58 pm »
Quit sticking up for Windows, yago!
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.