Author Topic: Advanced statistics problem - ratings for a league  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
Advanced statistics problem - ratings for a league
« on: November 15, 2006, 06:41:21 pm »
I'm helping a friend improve the way he is running an e-sports league (currently ~600 members).  One of the things that is in major need of improvement is the method of determining rating changes after a game.  I can't go into too much detail because I've been asked to keep specifics on a need-to-know basis.

If anyone would like to work on this with me, my statistics knowledge is limited enough that I need help with this :)  Basically it would involve writing a new rating system from the ground up that meets a number of qualifications and then rigorous testing of a number of circumstances where the existing system has flaws.

FYI: I've already employed the help of a real-life friend who is a Stats major, but his time is limited (the fool is quadruple majoring and hes in his final year).  He will however, be able to easily check up on any algorithms devised to make sure they make mathematical sense.

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
Re: Advanced statistics problem - ratings for a league
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 08:39:47 pm »
I took AP stat last year. Although the class was a joke I could try and help. I can always get help from my mother. She is a Professor of Statistics. THink she took stat classes up to the doctoral level. Used to do marketing research for Norwegian Cruise Lines and some other places.
Want to meet someone famous?  Cut out this coupon!

|This coupon good for  \
|ONE FREE hunting        \
|expedition with            /
|Dick Cheney.             /

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:10:21 am »
No offense, but I'm really only looking for help from someone I know and trust since its supposed to be a closed project.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 03:33:55 am »
No offense, but I'm really only looking for help from someone I know and trust since its supposed to be a closed project.

::)

What incentive would such a person have to help you with this?

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 04:24:40 am »

::)

What incentive would such a person have to help you with this?
He'll share his next packet of pop tarts with you.
errr... something like that...

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 01:53:32 pm »
Honestly I figured a certain couple people would want the challenge, but since they haven't spoken up I'll just work on this with my real life friend.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 03:09:41 pm »
Honestly I figured a certain couple people would want the challenge, but since they haven't spoken up I'll just work on this with my real life friend.
FINE! BE THAT WAY!
errr... something like that...

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 12:21:40 pm »
I'm not sure what kind of statistics are involved here ... but if its not a terrible amount of trouble I can probably help you.
Aside of specializing in math, I have taken probability and the scary mathematical statistics class.  I may not be a statistician but my current research work delves heavily in statistics.  I work as a researcher over at the school of computational sciences and over the past two months I have been studying the various monte carlo methods and writing experimental programs to compare them to my supervisor's variance reduced monte carlo methods.

EDIT: computational science != computer science.  The subtle difference is that computational science studies high performance mathematical computation ... usually the work done in computational science reflects some real world process.  Computer science is the science of computers in general.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 12:31:35 pm by nslay »
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 12:37:40 pm »
I appreciate the offer, but I've already made considerable headway with my real-life friend so I'm just going to stick with it :)  This can be closed really.