Poll

Which camera should I buy?

Sony Cybershot DSC-W50
0 (0%)
Canon Powershot SD600
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Which Camera?  (Read 3674 times)

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
Which Camera?
« on: January 02, 2007, 03:37:38 pm »
I'm going to buy a camera, but I'm not sure which camera I should buy. I've narrowed it down to either the Sony Cybershot DSC-W50 or the Canon Powershot SD600. Anybody have these specific cameras? Previous expierences with either company and/or camera? Both of these cameras are in the same price range, so price isn't a matter, really.

I've never owned/bought a digital camera before.

Thanks for any input! :)

Sony Cybershot DSC-W50: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot-DSCW50-Digital-Optical/dp/tech-data/B000EGLXTW/ref=de_a_smtd/102-0454821-0965734
Canon Powershot SD600: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/tech-data/B000EMWBT2/ref=de_a_smtd/102-0454821-0965734
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 03:53:48 pm by skip »

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: Which Camera?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:42:42 pm »
information on them?

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 09:23:48 pm »
I'd go with the Canon any day, but might I suggest for an A series Canon digital camera, they are not as flat, but will take a far superior picture.
-RoMi

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 09:26:51 pm »
I'd go with the Canon any day, but might I suggest for an A series Canon digital camera, they are not as flat, but will take a far superior picture.

From everything I've heard about low-medium price digital cameras, A series is the way to go.  My dad has one that's 4 years old and it still takes pretty good pictures.  My friend did a bunch of research on them and ended up buying a powershot something or another.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:47:11 pm »
yes i would pick the cannon. I personally have that camera and the screen is huge! it has a ton of features such as auto and manual type thing, auto red eye reduction, flash ect. it is 6 mega pixels and it is very sharp. it has about 3 hours of battery life if you constantly take pics. like I do at football games since i was injured. and i one took about 400 pics in 3 hours it was intense.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 12:26:57 am »
Also, I'm not sure if either of those cameras (I don't really feel like digging up the reviews) have motion stabilization, but I've heard from a couple of people who are pretty big in digital photography that they'll never again buy a digital camera that doesn't have this feature.

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 12:57:35 pm »
Definitely go for the Canon.  I used to work at Sears in the electronics department, and honestly, the W50 has such terrible response time to movements... for example, if you try to take a picture with it (keep in mind that the settings are default) while moving very slowly, there's a considerable amount of lag time whereas the SD 600 was able to handle that a lot better.  My point is, overall better pictures.
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 04:43:19 pm »
Also, I'm not sure if either of those cameras (I don't really feel like digging up the reviews) have motion stabilization, but I've heard from a couple of people who are pretty big in digital photography that they'll never again buy a digital camera that doesn't have this feature.
Considering its only a 3x zoom I'd say its not too big a deal if there isn't any image stabilization.  However I totally agree with image stabilization being almost a must shotting over 6x, unless you are using a tripod of course.
-RoMi

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 06:09:02 pm »
Heh, sweet guys, thanks. I'm definitely going with the Canon.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 07:04:56 pm »
All of the above.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.