Author Topic: Pan's Labyrinth  (Read 5359 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Pan's Labyrinth
« on: January 21, 2007, 01:22:14 am »
This movie was awesome.  The picture was clear and vivid and very well done.  The story was very unique and the actors played their rolls very well!  I loved this movie.

http://www.panslabyrinth.com/

Amazing.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:01:58 pm »
I loved it too :D It's one of those movies that are actually good. I usually judge movies by what degree of badness they are (e.g., a good bad movie or a not so good bad movie) but this movie was a flat-out good movie.

It's rare when movie theatres actually feature good movies...

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:16:58 pm »
I loved it too :D It's one of those movies that are actually good. I usually judge movies by what degree of badness they are (e.g., a good bad movie or a not so good bad movie) but this movie was a flat-out good movie.

It's rare when movie theatres actually feature good movies...
Agreed.  I loved pretty much everything about the movie.  There was only one thing I didn't like about the movie.  I would say it, but it would give something away.
And all winds that liven

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 01:22:41 am »
Okay, so this movie was originally released in Spanish, yes?  I just saw a preview for it on TV and it seemed that it was in English, but the version I got was Spanish with English subtitles.  I can't find an English version.

Anyone know what the deal is?  Is it in theaters or did you guys rent it on DVD?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 12:09:13 pm »
A guy at work said that, while it's a good movie, he felt that the underlying theme is, "even if you struggle, you can't change the world -- it's hopeless".  We all know the Spanish thingy was eventually lost (sorry if I give away the ending, but everybody ought to know already :P), so yeah, life sucks and then you die.

Of course, that's just one interpretation. 

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 12:36:38 pm »
@Sidoh: I saw it in Theathres.

@Ron: Nah, I wouldn't say that's what the theme is.  She did change the world, remember at the end?  She helped that Tree which was suppose to be very important, and she helped the maid out, too.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 09:17:35 pm »
No, I don't remember a tree.  I also don't remember her helping a maid.

..... of course, I haven't seen the movie. :)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 11:01:13 am »
No, I don't remember a tree.  I also don't remember her helping a maid.

..... of course, I haven't seen the movie. :)
Lol, well you need to go see it, Mr!
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 12:15:26 pm »
I don't want to watch it in Spanish... :(

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 12:31:38 pm »
Wtf, you too brandon?  Someone else recommended this movie to me and I thought it was horrid.  At least he was high when he watched it, what's your excuse? -_-

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 03:31:11 pm »
I don't want to watch it in Spanish... :(
It's better that way! :P

Wtf, you too brandon?  Someone else recommended this movie to me and I thought it was horrid.  At least he was high when he watched it, what's your excuse? -_-
It was just an amazing movie!  I don't do drugs, so I was perfectly clear-minded when I saw it.  My step-dad, who is very hard to please when it comes to movies, loved it too!  I think you're the one on drugs!
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 07:36:20 pm »
I thought the movie was okay.  It doesn't even come close to being one of my top ten favorite, but it was still pretty good.  The plot was very good, but it just doesn't suit my uh... interests.  Maybe 10 years ago I would have loved this movie, though I hardly think it would have been appropriate with all of the violence.

@Ron: Nah, I wouldn't say that's what the theme is.  She did change the world, remember at the end?  She helped that Tree which was suppose to be very important, and she helped the maid out, too.

The faun?  Uh, I guess.  I don't think she was helping the faun, though.  He was just "administering" a bunch of tests.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 07:38:52 pm by Sidoh »

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 11:35:09 pm »
I thought the movie was okay.  It doesn't even come close to being one of my top ten favorite, but it was still pretty good.  The plot was very good, but it just doesn't suit my uh... interests.  Maybe 10 years ago I would have loved this movie, though I hardly think it would have been appropriate with all of the violence.

The faun?  Uh, I guess.  I don't think she was helping the faun, though.  He was just "administering" a bunch of tests.
No.. not the Faun..  The big tree that had the toad in it.  They mentioned that the toad is killing the tree.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 12:18:24 am »
No.. not the Faun..  The big tree that had the toad in it.  They mentioned that the toad is killing the tree.

Oh... big deal?  Helping the tree was a test of her courage, I'd say.  I don't think it had any sort of mentionable impact on the world.  I'm in a pretty strong state of disagreement with iago's friend's view as well.  I don't see how the theme of this movie is what he mentioned.

She didn't aggressively help the maid.  She may have done so passively by keeping a secret, but I don't see how that ties in with the "theme" of the movie.  I'm not too sure it had much of an underlying moral aside from the cliché "be a good person" act.

I forgot to mention, though, I did like it near the end when they dealt with the captain.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 08:11:36 pm »

Oh... big deal?  Helping the tree was a test of her courage, I'd say.  I don't think it had any sort of mentionable impact on the world.  I'm in a pretty strong state of disagreement with iago's friend's view as well.  I don't see how the theme of this movie is what he mentioned.

She didn't aggressively help the maid.  She may have done so passively by keeping a secret, but I don't see how that ties in with the "theme" of the movie.  I'm not too sure it had much of an underlying moral aside from the cliché "be a good person" act.

I forgot to mention, though, I did like it near the end when they dealt with the captain.
Blah... @ you.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus