Author Topic: Silent Hill  (Read 2864 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Silent Hill
« on: February 19, 2007, 12:45:11 pm »
The second of a pile of 6 movies I watched.

I was actually really looking forward to this because I've heard a lot about it and it's partly inspired by Jacob's Ladder, which I just watched.

When I started watching, it seemed ok. The little girl was crazy and the mother wanted to go save her. They end up in this ghost town where the girl disappears and the mother tries to find her. That seemed interesting.

Then the mother started looking around. Some monsters showed up, she ran. Then some more monsters showed up, and she ran again. And closed a door. Then she met somebody else. They both saw monsters, and they both ran. This is a pretty simplistic way of looking at it, but really, that's what it boiled down to. I remember thinking that it seemed way too much like a video game. I hadn't realized, at the time, that it was based on a video game -- even without knowing that, it's pretty obvious.

There were some religious overtones, with fanatics and all that. That was a little interesting how it played out, but they didn't even meet these people till around the 1h20m mark. When the leader of the fanatics says "you will be burned," I couldn't help but imagine her saying, "you will be assimilated" (the actress is Alice Krige, who also plays the Borg Queen on Star Trek).

Another thing I noticed is that the camera is never still. Never! Every shot is either on a dolly, or on a crane, or hand-held (so it moves a little bit). Maybe it's to create mood if you don't notice it, but I found that it got really distracting after awhile. Can't two people talk without the camera bouncing around? Perhaps that's normal in movies and I don't generally notice it, I'm not really sure.

All in all, I'd say this movie totally isn't worth watching. I didn't like it at all.

Offline abc

• View Profile
Re: Silent Hill
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 02:14:48 pm »
Yeah, I loved the Video game, the first and second ones...I saw the movie and it started out pretty good, middle was decent, then the ending was just plain..boring and stupid..

*Semi-Agree.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:02:26 pm »
After House of the Dead and Doom, I decided not to see any more movies based on games. But I got this backwards, I originally thought the game was based on the movie (till I looked at the dates). :(

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 10:46:31 pm »
Silent-Hill 2 (VG) rocked hardcore.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...