Author Topic: "Teh" Owned  (Read 14517 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: "Teh" Owned
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 10:25:30 pm »
Providing a product against their EULA or something.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 11:13:39 pm »
Providing a product against their EULA or something.

Again, I'm pretty sure that the EULA doesn't annex the laws in a country...

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 11:55:30 pm »
Eh.. you didn't expect me to read the topic first, did you?

:P
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 11:57:59 pm »
Eh.. you didn't expect me to read the topic first, did you?

:P

If you were replying to my post, then you should have seen the word "court."  You can't take someone to court for not obeying your house rules (assuming they don't overlap with the laws of the country said house is located in).

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 11:26:07 am »
And just FYI Glider may not be here much longer.  Blizzard filed a lawsuit against Mercury ( the creator ) and if they win they will be getting the source code, all the profits he made, his site and more.

Ugh.. on what grounds are they suing him for?

They aren't suing him, they filed a (counter)lawsuit.  I forgot to mention, Blizzard's henchmen came to Mercury's house and confronted him about WoWGlider ( I don't remember the specifics ), he filed a lawsuit for something or another, and they counter'd with a lawsuit.  If anyone is actually interested in the case, you can go to WoWGlider.com, register and look on the "Legal" forum.

Some documents on the case.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 11:27:55 am »
Ah. I missed that. Making $ off of intellectual property and probably some other TOS violations? :|

I don't think they can use the TOS argument in court.  Making money of intellectual property makes sense, but I'm not sure it'd fly in court.  I'd definitely like to keep track of it if it ends up going through, though.  It seems like an interesting case.

It's a very valid argument, feel free to scan through those documents I linked too.

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 01:04:45 pm »
They aren't suing him, they filed a (counter)lawsuit.  I forgot to mention, Blizzard's henchmen came to Mercury's house and confronted him about WoWGlider ( I don't remember the specifics ), he filed a lawsuit for something or another, and they counter'd with a lawsuit.  If anyone is actually interested in the case, you can go to WoWGlider.com, register and look on the "Legal" forum.

From my understanding, to sue someone is to bring about a lawsuit.  Blaze used the word correctly.

It's a very valid argument, feel free to scan through those documents I linked too.

From what I got, they mentioned what he does violates the TOS and EULA, but the lawsuit seems to be over copyright infringement (using "WoW" in wowglider) and impacting Blizzard's profits negatively.

You can't file a lawsuit if someone violates your TOS and EULA, as they are not controlled by the government in any form (aside from obvious exceptions).  For example, I don't think Blizzard can sue anyone for buying gold or talking about Hindu in general chat.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 03:11:29 pm »

From my understanding, to sue someone is to bring about a lawsuit.  Blaze used the word correctly.

From what I got, they mentioned what he does violates the TOS and EULA, but the lawsuit seems to be over copyright infringement (using "WoW" in wowglider) and impacting Blizzard's profits negatively.

You can't file a lawsuit if someone violates your TOS and EULA, as they are not controlled by the government in any form (aside from obvious exceptions).  For example, I don't think Blizzard can sue anyone for buying gold or talking about Hindu in general chat.

They can't, and that's why they get banned - therefore the topic.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 03:16:28 pm »
They can't, and that's why they get banned - therefore the topic.

That's obvious.  The (currently off topic) discussion is over lawsuits, though...

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2007, 09:27:16 pm »
All the more power to him. He was smart enough to make a Bot that would give players a chance to get gold as they sleep, work, and or do other things thus making the game easier for them. Thus a "Cheat code" blizzard should know all about Cheat codes, being themselfs use them in all their games in the past. I mean the ToS that blizzard drawn up when you frist open wow is compelte bull shit in my opinion. It is agianst the ToS to have a name of a Celebraty. Such as batman or brintey spears.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 12:36:04 am »
All the more power to him. He was smart enough to make a Bot that would give players a chance to get gold as they sleep, work, and or do other things thus making the game easier for them. Thus a "Cheat code" blizzard should know all about Cheat codes, being themselfs use them in all their games in the past. I mean the ToS that blizzard drawn up when you frist open wow is compelte bull shit in my opinion. It is agianst the ToS to have a name of a Celebraty. Such as batman or brintey spears.

Do you know that "Mercury" has made near $1M off this thing?  It isn't his basement project anymore; it's his job.

You've made so many shady conclusions and painful semantical errors here that I don't know where to begin.  I guess the only point I'm going to try to make (as the other complaints you've ranted here seem to be silly, inconclusive and unbacked) is this: Blizzard can define whichever terms of service they want, assuming that none of them require you to break laws.  That being said, my read over of the World of Warcraft TOS (which I will admit was not fully complete) led me to believe that they were completely reasonable.

There are obvious reasons that you can't name your character after Batman and less obvious reasons that you're not allowed to name your characters after celebrities (conflict.  maybe someone names their character Justintimberlake and many people don't like him or his music.  this person may passively cause conflict simply because of his name).

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2007, 06:44:41 am »
This isn't his job, it's his side-project.  I'm sure he never expected WoWGlider to get so big.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2007, 11:19:43 am »
This isn't his job, it's his side-project.  I'm sure he never expected WoWGlider to get so big.

I'm really sure that it's making him more money than his job, unless his job was already paying six figures a year.

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2007, 12:27:35 pm »

Do you know that "Mercury" has made near $1M off this thing?  It isn't his basement project anymore; it's his job.

You've made so many shady conclusions and painful semantical errors here that I don't know where to begin.  I guess the only point I'm going to try to make (as the other complaints you've ranted here seem to be silly, inconclusive and unbacked) is this: Blizzard can define whichever terms of service they want, assuming that none of them require you to break laws.  That being said, my read over of the World of Warcraft TOS (which I will admit was not fully complete) led me to believe that they were completely reasonable.

There are obvious reasons that you can't name your character after Batman and less obvious reasons that you're not allowed to name your characters after celebrities (conflict.  maybe someone names their character Justintimberlake and many people don't like him or his music.  this person may passively cause conflict simply because of his name).

You even said it yourself that you read over the ToS and even you think its incomplete thus leading to my rant about the ToS being pretty silly itself. I feel they are not giving us our Frist ammendent with this part of the ToS becuase I would love to name a charater Batman or something but since some people might be superman fans I cant do it? Come one you have to agree that sounds pretty asinine.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2007, 01:38:32 pm »
You even said it yourself that you read over the ToS and even you think its incomplete thus leading to my rant about the ToS being pretty silly itself. I feel they are not giving us our Frist ammendent with this part of the ToS becuase I would love to name a charater Batman or something but since some people might be superman fans I cant do it? Come one you have to agree that sounds pretty asinine.

No, I said my read over the TOS was incomplete.  If you read any further, you would have seen that I believe the World of Warcraft terms of use are completely reasonable.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Blizzard isn't congress.  They can make these rules for the same reason schools can legally disallow vulgar speech.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 01:46:58 pm by Sidoh »