Author Topic: "Teh" Owned  (Read 14613 times)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: "Teh" Owned
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2007, 02:11:56 pm »
Blizzard isn't congress.  They can make these rules for the same reason schools can legally disallow vulgar speech.
Well, I don't think it's quite like that.  Children have a right to an education, and vulgar speech apparently interferes with that right, or something to that extent.

Blizzard can make rules using their service because they provide it. If you do not want to follow their rules, you don't have to play.  It's almost like a restaurant/stores; they have the right to deny service.  For example, you see those signs that say, "No shirt. No shoes. No service."  Technically, walking around without a shirt is freedom of expression.  Are they impeding on your first ammendment rights? Absolutely not; you don't have to use their services.  The difference is that everyone is subject to laws, and only people desiring the service are subject to the terms of that service.

At least that's how I see it.
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »
Well, I don't think it's quite like that.  Children have a right to an education, and vulgar speech apparently interferes with that right, or something to that extent.

Blizzard can make rules using their service because they provide it. If you do not want to follow their rules, you don't have to play.  It's almost like a restaurant/stores; they have the right to deny service.  For example, you see those signs that say, "No shirt. No shoes. No service."  Technically, walking around without a shirt is freedom of expression.  Are they impeding on your first ammendment rights? Absolutely not; you don't have to use their services.  The difference is that everyone is subject to laws, and only people desiring the service are subject to the terms of that service.

At least that's how I see it.

The conclusion of your second paragraph was exactly what I was getting at.  It surely wasn't the best of analogies, but it got the point across (especially since I do not think that creating rules against vulgarity in public schools would defy the first amendment even if the argument you made didn't exist).

To be more specific, children have the right to a public education.  There are voucher programs that fund private education, but I'm unaware of one which is publicly funded that covers the full cost of tuition (the most famous one is Milwaukee Parental Choice Program, which, I think, funds up to half of the tuition of a choice private school).

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2007, 12:14:18 am »
Blizzard isn't congress.  They can make these rules for the same reason schools can legally disallow vulgar speech.

That's a bad analogy. The realms are private property -- they could very well ban you for being Jewish. Now, if I were kicked out of school for being Jewish...
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2007, 12:16:05 am »

That's a bad analogy. The realms are private property -- they could very well ban you for being Jewish. Now, if I were kicked out of school for being Jewish...
I am pretty sure they wouldn't be able to...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2007, 02:19:36 am »

No it's not.

It's absolutely against the law for public schools to discriminate in any way (other than academic and background records, for some obvious cases).

Having the ability to "ban" you for being Jewish is going a bit too far, I think.  Lawsuits could be filed over that.  However, religious schools can absolutely choose to accept only students of their religion assuming that they don't accept publicly funded vouchers, which was exactly my point.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2007, 04:17:13 pm »
So... back to the topic of me getting banned -- http://maide.ca/~ian/public/wow/pictures/puntmaide.gif
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2007, 08:13:40 pm »
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2007, 09:43:12 pm »