Author Topic: The Omen (666)  (Read 2681 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
The Omen (666)
« on: March 11, 2007, 01:18:41 am »
So, I tend to have a very negative opinion on new movies. Especially if, a) it's a remake, b) it's based on a video game, or c) stars a wrestler. The Omen fails on (a), so I had a bad feeling going into it.

But after seeing it, I was pleasantly surprised. The story was interesting, and the plot kept moving, and overall it was actually fun to watch. I didn't expect that at all!

I don't think the actors were the greatest, though. There were a few really bad actors (and in one scene, an extra stood there staring at the main character for no reason). Even the main characters weren't great actors! The photographer was good, and the kid is good, and even the nanny was good, but I don't think that either of the two leads (the man and woman) were any good at all. And the female lead (I'm not sure who it was) was incredibly ugly, her face is like gross and misshapen.. but that's totally superficial and is neither here nor there.

I had mixed feelings about some of the sets they used. Everything always seemed too big, so the movie never seemed to be close or cozy. Maybe that was the intention, I'm not really sure, but it didn't appeal to me.

Another thing that annoyed me is that they took a bible verse (Revelations 7:8, or maybe 8:7.. the one about the trumpets) and changed it to suit some recent "big events" (which, of course, is 9/11, what else?). I don't really think that's fair, changing a bible verse to something very similar to make it fit better in the movie, that seems dirty to me. I'm curious what the original movie did, because they obviously couldn't abuse a bible reference to sound like 9/11.

But besides the actors and the setting, it was really good. The plot was strong and kept me interested, which is rare on new movies. The build-up was good, and the climax I found very sudden, but that was effective. And the ending was quite good, the ending was quite possibly my favorite part.

It seems to me that the parts that were present in the original (plot, etc.) were the best, and the new stuff (actors, settings) were weak. So now I'm very interested in finding a copy of the original.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: The Omen (666)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 03:18:18 am »
I saw the Omen in theaters.  As I was leaving, my cousins and I talked to other people that were going out of the movie and the general consensus was that it was the shittiest movie ever made.  My cousin and I laughed at all of the scary parts--half the theater did with us, too.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 12:12:28 pm »
Yeah, the scary parts / cheap thrills were stupid. I can agree with that, and I forgot to mention that those were dumb. But it's a cheap tactic in any movie. It was the overall plot that I liked.

What was so bad about it, though?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 04:25:12 pm »
In my opinion: everything.  The thriller/scary parts weren't thrilling or scary.  The gruesome parts sucked at being gruesome.  That little kid seriously deserved a good kick in the face.  The acting overall was bad.  And it was a remake.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine