Author Topic: '07 Chevy Aveo  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
'07 Chevy Aveo
« on: August 06, 2009, 04:28:41 am »
My current car (an '99 Olds Intrigue) has 230,000 miles on it, and I'll be commuting 45 minutes each way to school 5 days a week. So, since that would mean definite sudden death for my car, my parents bought a '07 Chevy Aveo for the family -- me for commuting to school, and my mom when I'm not using it.

I like that it's shiny, but that's pretty much it's only redeeming quality. Here's a few things I dislike about it from my 30 minute drive to McDonalds and back. Note that I'm not sure which of these are optional features and whatnot -- this is just the model I have.

- No power windows
- No CD player, only AM/FM radio (and I didn't check for sure about AM, not like it's necessary now that we're out of the 80s)
- Transmission can't be force shifted into 3rd gear. Shifter only has D4, 2, and 1. This is fine, I guess, but my old car sometimes had trouble picking gears going up hill, and you needed to force 3rd.
- Dome light cannot be accessed from dimmer switch - ceiling switch
- Antenna is on roof.. I wonder how long that'll last before I take it off with a tree.
- Cruise control has an on-off switch. I guess that's normal, but I don't especially like it, and I was just fine not having one on my old car. Also, there's no "clear" button to stop it without disabling the system. This leaves only two ways of decelerating the car - stepping on the brakes, or turning off the system (thus clearing resume ability, btw).
- The air conditioning system isn't temperature based -- it's like the ones you find on old cars, where you have a knob you set to hot, cold, or in between. Again, this is normal, but I liked being able to set my car to a specific temperature.
- Related, there doesn't appear to be a thermometer for outside temperature. Not like the one on my old car worked anyhow..

That's all I can think of for now. I'll post more comments later on as I drive it more.

(PS: I was going to post this in my personal forum, but that's gone. Then I was going post this in the automotive forum, but that's gone. Whatever.)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: '07 Chevy Aveo
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:37:57 am »
So basically you:
- Don't like the basic model

That's pretty normal.  Tell your parents to sell the Aveo (which is garbage even in top range models) and get a Ford Fiesta (because of this).

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 11:01:09 am »
Or park the Aveo in the back yard and put my '63 Galaxie back together.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 12:23:55 pm »
So basically you:
- Don't like the basic model

That's pretty normal.  Tell your parents to sell the Aveo (which is garbage even in top range models) and get a Ford Fiesta (because of this).
Awesome link!

[Joe's bitching about the new car of his]
Really man? Really?
errr... something like that...

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 01:12:42 pm »
If you hate your car so much feel free to donate it to me.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:07:55 pm »
get a Ford Fiesta (because of this).
Lol. I liked the last part.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 02:24:51 pm »
To be honest, your car doesn't sound that bad. The only valid complaint is really the lack of a CD player. And maybe the transmission thing. But the rest... who cares? :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 03:20:10 pm »
Chevy Aveos suck.  But you already have it so.........*shrug*

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 04:24:32 pm »
To be honest, your car doesn't sound that bad. The only valid complaint is really the lack of a CD player. And maybe the transmission thing. But the rest... who cares? :P
I've never been forced to use that feature in an automatic car. Not a valid complaint :P

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 04:47:53 pm »

And maybe no power windows. My 10 year old car has that! Must be a cheap-ass new car if it has manual windows still.. we're in the 21st century!
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 06:46:52 pm »
One thing I forgot to add is that all the little things I bitched about, my '99 has.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 06:53:28 pm »
I've never heard of a cruise not having a "Decelerate" feature.  Look for that.  If you just touch it, it may disengage.

On my car, it has a stick that has a button; the button determines on/off.  If I push the stick up, it'll resume or accelerate, down to decelerate, towards me to disengage cruise.

RTFM?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 12:19:42 am »
More from Top Gear on the Aveo: click.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 12:08:07 pm »
I've never heard of a cruise not having a "Decelerate" feature.  Look for that.  If you just touch it, it may disengage.

On my car, it has a stick that has a button; the button determines on/off.  If I push the stick up, it'll resume or accelerate, down to decelerate, towards me to disengage cruise.

RTFM?

My cruise has three buttons. There's one on the back of the steering wheel (wtf?) to turn on / off the entire system. On the front, there's a button to accelerate / resume, and one to set / coast. Which of those is supposed to decelerate, would you assume?

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 01:03:04 pm »
Tap the break, cruise disengages. Thats what I always do...