Author Topic: Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with Vista  (Read 6184 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with Vista
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 02:36:38 pm »
I still stand by it being rock solid, most of the XP vulns allowed a user to take control of your computer. With UAC locking every important thing down, I seriously doubt this will be an issue.
I still think UAC isn't going to do shit for security but will be annoying for power users.

1.) You have two kinds of Windows users: "Windows Haves" and "Windows Have-Nots".
2.) The "Windows Haves" will know when they're doing something right and don't need to be burdened by UAC.
3.) The "Windows Have-Nots" will not know when they're doing something wrong.
4.) When a "Windows Have-Not" attempts to install a program, they'll be blocked by UAC.
5.) Their local guru will either just tell them "it's okay, ignore that box", or "Here's your administrator password."
6.) Local gurus will get pissed off that the user never writes down the administrator password, so the next time he's fixing the luser's computer, he'll upgrade the luser's account to "Limited Administrator."
7.) After calling the guru a few times, the luser will get frustrated and will start clicking through UAC without reading it.
8.) Security is gone.

The only thing about UAC is that if a luser gets a virus or trojan or something because of it, he can be blamed and not Microsoft, because the luser didn't take the time to read the UAC box.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 02:40:00 pm »
I didn't participate in the beta and I was still able to get a key from the link warrior posted a few days ago.  I downloaded the ISO last night.  I'll probably install it some time soon.
aw:( his link
http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc2/en/download.htm
just redirects to
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

Click on the link on the page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default.mspx

There's another link to download an ISO there.  They give you a product key.  At least they did last night...

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 02:41:53 pm »
I still stand by it being rock solid, most of the XP vulns allowed a user to take control of your computer. With UAC locking every important thing down, I seriously doubt this will be an issue.
I still think UAC isn't going to do shit for security but will be annoying for power users.

1.) You have two kinds of Windows users: "Windows Haves" and "Windows Have-Nots".
2.) The "Windows Haves" will know when they're doing something right and don't need to be burdened by UAC.
3.) The "Windows Have-Nots" will not know when they're doing something wrong.
4.) When a "Windows Have-Not" attempts to install a program, they'll be blocked by UAC.
5.) Their local guru will either just tell them "it's okay, ignore that box", or "Here's your administrator password."
6.) Local gurus will get pissed off that the user never writes down the administrator password, so the next time he's fixing the luser's computer, he'll upgrade the luser's account to "Limited Administrator."
7.) After calling the guru a few times, the luser will get frustrated and will start clicking through UAC without reading it.
8.) Security is gone.

The only thing about UAC is that if a luser gets a virus or trojan or something because of it, he can be blamed and not Microsoft, because the luser didn't take the time to read the UAC box.

That's true, I still think there is middle ground. Something between a power user and a complete idiot.
For example, someone like my mom would see that the UAC dialog is obviously important and if it's something she sees as suspicious then she'll usually call me in to double check.

I think however Vista needs to lessen the UAC things for stupid stuff. Eg. My grandmother was installing iTunes and it wouldn't let her because it required my admin password, so the next day I had to go over and type it in for her. So she couldn't install iTunes until I did it. This obviously got her ticked.

I think UAC needs to be smarter about this sort of stuff, it's tough doing this I know but it needs to be made easier than it is now.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 08:27:17 pm »
Counter-Strike runs fine.  The only problem I got was that my video mode wasn't supported.  That was an easy fix though, I just switched from OpenGL to D3D, and I haven't noticed that big a difference in FPS.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 08:12:19 am »
I was also pretty impressed with Vista. My brothers running it right now on his computer, looks great and runs well.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 09:55:45 am »
The only thing wrong is that Vista is having trouble identing with Drexel's wireless network.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 12:40:46 pm »
The only thing wrong is that Vista is having trouble identing with Drexel's wireless network.
I've had mixed results with it working or not working with unsecured wireless networks.  That's odd, but I can live with it.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 12:46:27 pm »
Eh..it's a secure network...