Author Topic: iPhone  (Read 11008 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 06:33:13 pm »
When I think MP3, Camera, and videos - OH YEAH - the first thing that pops to mind is a phone!
It surprises me how pocket knife phones became so popular ...

Other atrocities include PS3 and Xbox3.  Not only do they cost more than a high end home built computer, but they do absolutely EVERYTHNG a game console shouldn't be doing!  Why do simple ideas like "game console" and "phone" become "game/dvd player/computer/internet browser/mp3 player console" and "PDA/digital camera/video viewer/mp3 player phone"?  By God, and in my humble opinion, when I want a phone, I want just that - A PHONE ... they already sell PDAs, mp3 players, video viewers, and digital cameras and these standalone products usually do a better job at their purpose than the cell phone. 

You know, in the very end...I say we scrap the phone idea.  Lets make something new, call it Thing, or Object and just append every possible conceivable function into it.  Object can be used to open cans, or it can be used as a spoon,  it can take pictures, play movies, be used to shave, have bluetooth and USB, hold files, play mp3s, run Windows, play PSP, DS, XBox, PS2/3, and Computer games, runs Linux, has a toilet paper dispenser, can be worn as a hat or shoe , be used as an umbrella, print documents ... oh and I almost forgot, Object comes with a knife.  Everyone would have an Object, and no other product would ever be needed to do anything else since Object does everything.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 06:38:46 pm »
But like has been said, most people already have a phone, mp3 player, pda, camera...why not make it easier to keep track of, cheaper to buy, and just generally easier to use.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 06:52:51 pm »
But like has been said, most people already have a phone, mp3 player, pda, camera...why not make it easier to keep track of, cheaper to buy, and just generally easier to use.

I thought by adding more (and irrelevant) functionality made it more complicated ... not easier. 
I mean, look at the cell phones original intent...mobility, and they add other very relevant features to it like headsets.  Where on Earth is the other crap coming from and why?  It reminds me of what Ford is doing...they are (or were) trying to put Internet and Computers into cars, I have no idea why!  Even for techies its really stupid.
My father is a 64 year old man, he is a Microsoft guru and works in IBM's Global Services division as a contractor for Microsoft related programming and solutions (my father has been in the computer industry for over 40+ years) ... he has one of these Motorola phones that can do all of the above.  He does not use these features!  Much less, I don't think he even cares if the phone has a camera or can play mp3s...  My mother is the same way, she's 50 some odd years old and a Java programmer for IBM and she has never used these features.  Sure she has played with ring tones but why on earth would she use the camera, listen to mp3s, or watch videos on her phone?
Let's think about it in terms of software...why would you use your e-mail client to write word documents for school/job?  Why would you care if your e-mail client can stream radio or connect to bittorrent or emulate old SNES games?  Thats exactly my point...and this is why there are no such email clients!

An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 07:38:54 pm »
"Today we're introducing three revolutionary products," Jobs said moments before unveiling the device. "A new iPod, a phone and an internet communicator. These are not three separate devices -- we call it the iPhone."

I had a media player, a web browser, a portable-Outlook-type device, AND a phone. All ~3 years ago.

This is not revolutionary. Haha. They just stuck their name on it and the Apple zealots are like "OMGGG!!!!!!!!"

The announcement follows months of intense speculation and marks a shift of gravity for the company away from its Mac line of personal computers to a broader range of consumer electronics.

Perhaps they should try dominating the personal computer market before they split themselves too thin...

and haha, a 4GB model for $500? Weak.

8GB flash memory = $130
The phone itself costs ~$400 I'd wager.

Ohhhhhh, bitches.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/01/top_5_worst_thi.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 09:21:00 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

trust

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 10:17:19 pm »
Lack luster.

Touchscreen mp3 players? Done.
Widescreen mp3 players? Done.
Phones with mp3 players? Done.
Phones with mp3 players and a touch screen? Done.

Oh lord the scratches that thing will endure.

They call this revolutionary? They took a mashup of ideas and made them into one thing.

Mobile OSX? Not done.
A phone that sexy looking? Not done.

Plus having tomtom in that will totally own my current VZNavigator on my Chocolate. Not that I'll be getting one anytime soon.

And, nslay, please tell me how to build a "high end" computer for the $400 my XBox 360 cost me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 11:02:42 pm »
Lack luster.

Touchscreen mp3 players? Done.
Widescreen mp3 players? Done.
Phones with mp3 players? Done.
Phones with mp3 players and a touch screen? Done.

Oh lord the scratches that thing will endure.

They call this revolutionary? They took a mashup of ideas and made them into one thing.

Mobile OSX? Not done.

Plus having tomtom in that will totally own my current VZNavigator on my Chocolate. Not that I'll be getting one anytime soon.

And, nslay, please tell me how to build a "high end" computer for the $400 my XBox 360 cost me.
x2

I wish verizon would get good stuff like this

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 12:30:23 am »
Mobile OSX? Not done.

The core of OSX is essentially Unix. Mobile Unix has been done before. NetBSD is a prime example of portability. :)

Subjective opinion. Heh. I personally think it has the same shitty OSX interface that OSX has.

The phone seems huge, too. In an age where everything tries to be small (the shuffle?) the iPhone comes out and fills your hand.

Apparently it's only a bit bigger than a normal iPod. Just about as thin, too. Heh. The photo just distorts it. :(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 12:36:03 am by Newby »
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 12:43:10 am »
Subjective opinion.

redundant restatement.  hehe, just kidding. :)

yeah, I'd never buy one of these things.  they're pretty nice, I guess, but I'd rather separate my phone and my music player.  I kind of like having the ability to view photos and videos on my iPod, though.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 12:45:21 am »
I got rid of my SmartPhone for a reason. My dad switched providers. I had to! I want it back.

They should make this iPhone part-vibrator and just market it as the iBrator. It'll get all the teenage girls. And kill the vibrator industry.

The iPhone reminds me of those printers/scanners/faxes that are 3-in-1. They're all mediocre at what they do. If you got three separate entities, they would do their job a lot better.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 01:22:57 am by Newby »
- Newby

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 01:23:10 am »
I got rid of my SmartPhone for a reason. My dad switched providers. I had to! I want it back.

They should make this iPhone part-vibrator and just market it as the iBrator. It'll get all the teenage girls. And kill the vibrator industry.
That was my fucking idea you whore.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 01:28:47 am »

The iPhone reminds me of those printers/scanners/faxes that are 3-in-1. They're all mediocre at what they do. If you got three separate entities, they would do their job a lot better.

The multifunction printer units are great, I think.  If you need something that preforms really well (ie an awesome scanner), then you should buy a separate one.  However, that doesn't mean everyone that needs a scanner will want one that does a really good job.  I have a 3-in-1 printer and it works really well for everything I need it to.  Sure, I notice some lacking quality, but it doesn't bother me.  They're perfect for a college student. :P

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 01:36:27 am »
Much like the iPhone will fill a niche. Buying an iPod, or a regular cell phone, or even a PDA, will function better if you need that specific aspect of it.

If only Apple could hype up OS X as much as they already have the iPhone.... they might actually sell enough copies of OS X (and their computers) to actually make some noise in marketshare on the desktop! Microsoft might actually go "hey, look, apple finally got 2%."

Sadly, Firefox managed to burn up marketshare against IE faster than Apple ever will against Windows with OS X. And Firefox was not backed by a multi-million dollar corporation. :|
- Newby

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 01:39:52 am »
Much like the iPhone will fill a niche. Buying an iPod, or a regular cell phone, or even a PDA, will function better if you need that specific aspect of it.

iPhones are hardly a budget item, though...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 01:42:26 am »
they're pretty nice, I guess, but I'd rather separate my phone and my music player
I wish the memory was larger.  I dislike on 8gb as I generally like to have EVERYTHING on my iPod so I can jam to whatever whenever.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 01:44:10 am »
I wish the memory was larger.  I dislike on 8gb as I generally like to have EVERYTHING on my iPod so I can jam to whatever whenever.

Yeah, that part really sucks, I agree.