Author Topic: Watch Out Newby (High-school alcohol tests)  (Read 11997 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Watch Out Newby (High-school alcohol tests)
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 09:31:47 pm »
Well, this thread seems to indicate that you have absolutely no respect for laws. And when somebody breaks a law, they should be punished, otherwise laws don't work. And apparently, you aren't being punished, so laws aren't working.

Perhaps there should be a crackdown on teenage criminals before they grow up? Especially the smart ones, because they're the ones that end up committing white-collar crimes.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 10:23:48 pm »
Perhaps there should be a crackdown on teenage criminals before they grow up? Especially the smart ones, because they're the ones that end up committing white-collar crimes.

:).

Well, this thread seems to indicate that you have absolutely no respect for laws. And when somebody breaks a law, they should be punished, otherwise laws don't work. And apparently, you aren't being punished, so laws aren't working.

Your music collection is legit? Don't tell me you would be fine with the police randomly showing up at your doorstep, "oh, because you visited this bar, we're searching your computer for pirated music. every pirated song is a year in prison."

You're right, though. I have no respect for laws that I find useless and stupid.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 11:51:10 pm »
You're right, though. I have no respect for laws that I find useless and stupid.
So you're saying you think a minimum drinking age law is stupid and useless? 
errr... something like that...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 11:57:10 pm »
Your music collection is legit?
Yes, actually -- I live in a country that isn't controlled by the RIAA. Downloading music here is perfectly legal, since we pay for it when we buy blank media. In fact, because we're paying to download music, whether or not we do it, it's practically mandatory here, otherwise you're paying them and getting nothing.

Note: Uploading music here is illegal, which was mentioned on Slashdot this week. But that's fine, my music was all downloaded. :)

See Drake's response.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 12:10:18 am »
So you're saying you think a minimum drinking age law is stupid and useless? 

Yes.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 12:21:34 am »
Yes.
Let's say you had to write a letter to your MLA (or whatever they call the people who represent you in the US) -- what would you say? How would you defend that position.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 12:27:07 am »
Yes.
Let's say you had to write a letter to your MLA (or whatever they call the people who represent you in the US) -- what would you say? How would you defend that position.

Survival of the fittest. If kids do really stupid shit and end up dying of alcohol poisoning, well, that's their fucking issue for not researching what alcohol can do to you. We complain about overpopulation; this is a brilliant solution to the problem.
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 02:45:14 am »
Survival of the fittest. If kids do really stupid shit and end up dying of alcohol poisoning, well, that's their fucking issue for not researching what alcohol can do to you. We complain about overpopulation; this is a brilliant solution to the problem.
You got in a car (trunk, even) with a drunk driver. You could have easily been removed from the gene pool in that situation.

Drunk people are stupid. Kids are stupid. The combination is lethal.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 03:06:05 am »

The school system is not a legal setting.
Their rules are only rules, not law.
A school enforcing rules outside of the classroom is something like a business firing people because they're not religious (or because they are religious).

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 03:35:49 am »

A school enforcing rules outside of the classroom is something like a business firing people because they're not religious (or because they are religious).
Well, you could say that if they go to a public school, they're in a "Legal setting." Because the government helps fund it.

I, for one, am not in agreeance with that. I mean, I don't think that it should be administered. Unless a kid stumbles into school drunk, it's not the school's buisness. I mean, it said it can even detect soap, or communian. If some one get's repromanded for that it's religous discrimination. And, how would they know what kids to select? They said "20 kids per week." Does that mean that they are going to profile 20 kids? I know people that are in the bottom 100 of the school that don't drink because they have problems with it. I also know people in the top 20 at my school that drink. It's just a biased way of passing judgment and a subtle way of saying "We think you abuse your body and break the law." It's stupid and a violation of out fourth ammendment. They would need a warrent to search any other part of our body, why is the excroment different?

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 03:46:41 am »
Could you explain your analogy further because it doesn't make much sense to me right now. 

Also, don't schools enforce drug-free zones and keeping weapons off of school grounds? Those are just a bit more than just school rules, IIRC.

Really, I don't see why so many people have a problem with this; schools do drug testing (at least mine did once in a while). However, once they start testing for alcohol, it's a bad thing.

I, for one, am not in agreeance with that. I mean, I don't think that it should be administered. Unless a kid stumbles into school drunk, it's not the school's buisness. I mean, it said it can even detect soap, or communian.

. . .  They would need a warrent to search any other part of our body, why is the excroment different?
Greg Skipper in the article is very critical of just using this test.  If there is a positive, he believes there needs to be something else.

Also, I imagine excrements from our body are a bit like garbage. Police are allowed to search your garbage without a warrant.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 03:50:00 am »
drugs are illegal, so thats all of the US of A.

weapons off of school grounds is a law also.

My thing is about business interfering with personal life, something it has no place being.  School is a certain thing, otherwise they need to keep their nose outta my business.
Its Big Brothering at its worst.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 04:00:36 am »
drugs are illegal, so thats all of the US of A.

weapons off of school grounds is a law also.

My thing is about business interfering with personal life, something it has no place being.  School is a certain thing, otherwise they need to keep their nose outta my business.
Its Big Brothering at its worst.
Tobacco wasn't even allowed at my school; is that a law? 

Also, I don't think there's a problem having a gun in your car; at least I've never heard of it being a problem around here.    As long as you aren't running around in public waving a gun, you're usually fine.  However, it is illegal to have any sort of firearm, in your vehicle or otherwise, on school grounds. 

Once your personal life begins interfering with business, it becomes more than just personal. I'm sorry, but if your religion requires you to show up to work hungover or buzzed, I don't think any business will keep you around.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 08:55:00 am »
Tobacco wasn't even allowed at my school; is that a law?
Yes.

Once your personal life begins interfering with business, it becomes more than just personal. I'm sorry, but if your religion requires you to show up to work hungover or buzzed, I don't think any business will keep you around.
They are talking about the principle of the thing (they aren't showing up drunk, AFAIK).  Being tested by your school to see if you got hammered Friday night is an invasion of privacy.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 10:25:17 am »

I'm not talking about the drinking aspects of religion...just religion as a whole.

drinking on the weekend doesnt have to have any influence on your school work.  the top 3 in the graduating class of my highschool are all good kids and all drank.
And they're all doing well at their respective universities.

I'm not saying drinking cant lead to poor performance, however it isnt the direct cause