Author Topic: Let's update!  (Read 22676 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Let's update!
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 02:37:31 am »
I think those kinds of standards are a little goofy when an IDE can just reformat code to your liking.

We have "standards", but it's really only to avoid conflicts due to formatting.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 09:58:44 pm »
I think those kinds of standards are a little goofy when an IDE can just reformat code to your liking.

We have "standards", but it's really only to avoid conflicts due to formatting.

Depends on the IDE, but yeah, tools are the best way to enforce coding standards.  However, this only works if you have such tools, the tools are configured properly across the entire team, and everyone is using them.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:08:31 pm by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 03:17:47 am »
What do you do?
It's certainly unusual work. We research, develop and productize algorithms for use in medical image analysis. The tasks are certainly not trivial and we primarily focus on automatic segmentation of structures in the body in several modalities and employ a mixture of machine learning and computer vision approaches. It's really cool that brand spanking new algorithms end up in practical use very quickly (rather than rotting in journals for years).

Here's our problem: Our team is comprised purely of scientists, all of which are currently expected to research, develop, maintain, document, productize, test, and follow delivery procedures for a variety of customers. We have trouble maintaining a balance between the software engineering/architecture aspect, and the research aspect due to tight deadlines. It would be helpful to have a software engineer who could focus on the software side of the development, and that would include, for example:

• Deliveries (e.g. TFS, ClearCase, Productization, Testing)
  • Helping to maintain our code base.
  • Developing new interfaces and tools in the code base.
  • Improving existing interfaces.
  • Helping us document existing interfaces.
  • Quality control (e.g. maintaining review information, source analysis, etc...)

EDIT: We work primarily with C++, Visual Studio, CMake, and Subversion. The code base is computer vision and machine learning oriented and some of it is mathematically involved (so some numerical analysis could be helpful).

Hey! This was actually a large part of my analysis during my days of research at college. Image registration / segmentation of phase & fluorescent time-lapse data. It was for analyzing 2D cell contours though, nothing as complex as tissues or bone. And it was written in MATLAB. Could you elaborate a bit on what you're doing?

Also are you looking for: 1. Interns / Non-committing Hires (Could work for at most 1 yr.) and 2. Recent CS(ish) graduates with no professional experience 3. People in the Bay Area? If so you should rendez all my vous
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 12:34:27 am »
Hah. I haven't split/moved a topic in years: http://forum.x86labs.org/index.php/topic,15867.msg193224.html#new

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 03:16:48 am »
I moved to Michigan and work as an Senior Online Systems Programmer for the video game studio S2Games.  I work in a high-uptime, several hundred thousand concurrent user, codebase.  Fun fun.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 01:26:28 pm »
I moved to Michigan and work as an Senior Online Systems Programmer for the video game studio S2Games.  I work in a high-uptime, several hundred thousand concurrent user, codebase.  Fun fun.
I remember back when I used to play HoN a lot :)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 04:58:57 pm »
I'm currently contribution nothing of any real value to society
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 10:41:57 am »
Sorry to bump the old thread, but I apparently miss talking to some of you <3.

I work as an IT consultant for state medical facilities. Glad to see everyone else is doing well!
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 09:33:41 pm »
I'm currently contribution nothing of any real value to society

HITMEN!!

I work as an IT consultant for state medical facilities. Glad to see everyone else is doing well!

Yeah, right back at ya!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.