Author Topic: CRT or LCD?  (Read 11494 times)

Offline JTN Designer

• PHP Related Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://www.advahost.com
Re: CRT or LCD?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2006, 03:23:46 am »
My $2100 21" 1600x1200 resolution monitor has more sharpness than I've seen on any other monitor, no matter what the resolution. And it's flatscreen.

You know what's really funny about that?  I paid $250 for my 1920x1440 21" flat-screen monitor.  And it kicks your monitor's ass.

Where'd you get that from? I may buy one.

Offline ink

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2006, 05:35:23 am »
It all really depends on the situation at hand which needs a monitor.
This question immediately came to mind:
What is going to be the main function of the P.C. that will be using

A gamer would probably want a CRT since LCD screens present the ghosting effect
LCD definately displays better still-picture quality, on the other hand.

So besides these, personal preference comes into play and it's all up in the air.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2006, 01:00:18 pm »
It all really depends on the situation at hand which needs a monitor.
This question immediately came to mind:
What is going to be the main function of the P.C. that will be using

A gamer would probably want a CRT since LCD screens present the ghosting effect
LCD definately displays better still-picture quality, on the other hand.

So besides these, personal preference comes into play and it's all up in the air.

They used to have an apparent ghosting effect.  Gaming LCD monitors (actually, standard LCD monitors now) have an 8 ms response time, so it's virtually impossible to identify this affect.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2006, 01:02:44 pm »
They used to have an apparent ghosting effect.  Gaming LCD monitors (actually, standard LCD monitors now) have an 8 ms response time, so it's virtually impossible to identify this affect.

z0mg lern2grammar n00b.  Effect is the noun (unless you're talking about effecting something into happening or existing), and affect is the verb (unless you're talking about the psychological synonym for feelings).

I still have problems with the LCD monitor at work and looking at it from other angles.  Not so much my laptop screen, though.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2006, 01:28:27 pm »
z0mg lern2grammar n00b.  Effect is the noun (unless you're talking about effecting something into happening or existing), and affect is the verb (unless you're talking about the psychological synonym for feelings).

Is it just me or is this getting annoying? :P

I know the damn difference, it was a simple mistake.  If you know what I mean, I don't see the point in wasting time correcting such issues when it's obvious that it was a simple typing error (or failure to re-read the sentence; if I would have read over that, I would have noticed)...

I still have problems with the LCD monitor at work and looking at it from other angles.  Not so much my laptop screen, though.

It must suck, then.  I don't have a single problem using my monitors at any reasonable angle (IE, not laying on the floor, where it's hard to read anyway).  Thew viewing angle on any good LCD monitor is 180 degrees, which is obviously the maximum without the presentation of an additional engineering problem.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 01:30:07 pm by Sidoh »

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2006, 03:17:17 pm »
Is it just me or is this getting annoying? :P

I know the damn difference, it was a simple mistake.  If you know what I mean, I don't see the point in wasting time correcting such issues when it's obvious that it was a simple typing error (or failure to re-read the sentence; if I would have read over that, I would have noticed)...
Hehehe, it was meant as a joke specifically about this remark, which was still fresh in my mind.  ;)
I don't mind poor spelling as much as I do poor grammar (to an extent, of course).

It must suck, then.  I don't have a single problem using my monitors at any reasonable angle (IE, not laying on the floor, where it's hard to read anyway).  Thew viewing angle on any good LCD monitor is 180 degrees, which is obviously the maximum without the presentation of an additional engineering problem.
Yeah it probably does.  I can't read some things at about 15 degrees.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2006, 03:34:47 pm »
Hehehe, it was meant as a joke specifically about this remark, which was still fresh in my mind.  ;)
I don't mind poor spelling as much as I do poor grammar (to an extent, of course).

I also said this:

I don't understand purposeful lack of grammatical flow in communication just because data is transmitted digitally instead of across paper or pressure waves.

Don't make such hastey conclusions!  Just because we've insulted your purposeful horrid grammar (that you're not using anymore; we're appreciative of that) doesn't mean we don't care what you think.  Maybe we think it's what's best for you. :P

I wasn't being hypocritical.  It was an honest mistake. :P