Author Topic: About to dive into this fun world of Linux!  (Read 38536 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: About to dive into this fun world of Linux!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 10:45:39 am »
I might have a (backup... yes... backup ;)) copy that I can let your store....  CD or Floppy version?  :)

Uh, it's been... resolved.  ;)
heh, ....<serious>yes</serious>

I rebooted last night, took about 30 minutes I think.  It turned on and had to reboot again...?, that went good too.  I now have my main drive C: @ 64.5gb of the 80gb & a drive E: @ 254mb in FAT32.

I'll install FC5 this evening when I get home from work...I hope this works...eeks.

How hard/possible is it to undo all of this, or possibly just delete FC5 & load Slackware (which I downloaded a while ago)?

EDIT:
Also, what packages might I want to add?  I'm thinking OpenOffice and similar basic "tools"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 11:39:13 am by CrAz3D »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 12:25:02 pm »
If you have room, add everything.  In a month or two, when you are more confident, re-install and only install what you want.  That's the way I started with Slackware. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 01:27:17 pm »
I rebooted last night, took about 30 minutes I think.  It turned on and had to reboot again...?, that went good too.  I now have my main drive C: @ 64.5gb of the 80gb & a drive E: @ 254mb in FAT32.
Just so you know, your drive isn't *really* 80gb.  For some reason, the industry has allowed hard drive manufacturers to call a megabyte 106 and a gigabyte 109 instead of the original, correct value now expressed by GiB, which is 230.  Windows measures drive sizes correctly according to GiB and MiB (220), so an 80gb hard drive, 80,000,000,000, is really 74.51GiB, which is why you have such a discrepancy between your expected drive size and the size of your drive C:.

Also, like we talked about last night, Linux won't think of your hard drives as C: and E:.  It will load them into /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2.  Anaconda will probably automatically add the FAT32 drive to your fstab table, so it should be automatically mounted when you start up.

I'll install FC5 this evening when I get home from work...I hope this works...eeks.

How hard/possible is it to undo all of this, or possibly just delete FC5 & load Slackware (which I downloaded a while ago)?
It's fairly painless; pretty much it only involves deleting the Linux partitions with the Disk Management MMC snap-in (or PartitionMagic) and then resizing your c: partition to its original size and marking it active, all of which can be done without a reboot.

EDIT:
Also, what packages might I want to add?  I'm thinking OpenOffice and similar basic "tools"
OpenOffice will likely be installed by default.  I'm not sure that you'll want to install *everything*, despite iago's suggestion; FC5 can take up to 9gb to install, which doesn't leave you with a terrible lot of room.  There are a lot of server toys that you won't need, that are just entirely impractical (for instance, you don't need both MySQL and PostgreSQL unless you're really THAT HARD CORE).  You also don't necessarily need the development tools unless you're planning on programming, in which case I definitely recommend installing Eclipse.  ;)
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 05:08:50 pm »
Good stuff.

As as usuful tools, I'm thinkin of like image editting, music player, office-like things (like you said is already installed), firefox, thunderbird.  Does this stuff already come on the FC5 discs or do I have to find all of it seperate?

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 05:13:05 pm »
The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, and several of the other items already are on the CDs (although you may prefer XMMS to the music stuff FC5 comes with).  And you need to do a custom install to get Thunderbird -- it wasn't on be default when I ran the install.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 05:17:32 pm »
cool, I'll run a fun custom install tonight (& probably end up bugging you a bit, too, if ya dont mind)

I hope this is fun

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 05:24:11 pm »
It has been suggested that I try a "Live" boot of Linux before going through the entire install for this.
Would y'all suggest that too?  KNOPPIX was suggested

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 05:25:30 pm »
The only thing I've used is Slack, so that's what I'll recommend.  I've also never used a live boot other than the Slack installer, but I've never tried live X either, so I dunno.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 05:46:15 pm »
It has been suggested that I try a "Live" boot of Linux before going through the entire install for this.

If you want to peek around, Knoppix is nice.  It lets you see Linux without committing to anything.  However, if you actually want to use Linux to any extent, use an installed distro. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 05:49:05 pm »

If you want to peek around, Knoppix is nice.  It lets you see Linux without committing to anything.  However, if you actually want to use Linux to any extent, use an installed distro. 

mk....well, I've already invest 6 cds & 2 floppies into this ;), looks like there is no turning back  ::)

Tonight shall be the night!

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 06:51:11 pm »
Since you already repartitioned, there's not much point to using a Live boot CD.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 06:52:58 pm »
Since you already repartitioned, there's not much point to using a Live boot CD.
k dude

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 07:29:37 pm »
I'm about to begin, any last suggestions?

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 07:36:28 pm »
If you're looking for something that has no shit on it, I suggest ArchLinux.  It has 2 different installs, a base (comes with a basic linux installation, where you install everything else) and a full (like Slackware where it has all the stuff you won't use). 

I chose the base iso and installed X, OpenBox3, etc with pacman (a bit like Debian's/Ubuntu's apt-get and Slackware's package manager, which I forget the name of).  It takes a bit to get it working, but if I can do it, I'm sure you can too. :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 07:41:31 pm »
welp, i'm off then....maybe the penguin be with me