Author Topic: "Boycott Da Vinci Code film": top Vatican official  (Read 11928 times)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
"Boycott Da Vinci Code film": top Vatican official
« on: April 29, 2006, 03:29:13 am »
ROME (Reuters) - The
Vatican stepped up its offensive against "The Da Vinci Code" on Friday when a top official close to
Pope Benedict blasted the book as full of anti-Christian lies and urged Catholics to boycott the film.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060428/en_nm/vatican_davinci_dc

Personally I cant wait to see what the big fuss is about -- is the Vatican worried about losing thier empire over a movie? I can't wait to not boycott the movie and see why they're crying.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: "Boycott Da Vinci Code film": top Vatican official
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 03:40:19 am »
They're complaining about it for the same reason any organization complains about something that provides direct controversy to their beliefs, morals or laws.  The Da Vinci Code does contain quite a few of these said contradictions.  Personally, I don't really blame them...

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 05:00:25 am »
The sad thing is the lack of education about it.  DVC was a novel (i.e., long and fiction), and the author refuses to divulge where he got his information.  And yet people act as if it's God's word.

Oh wait, if they thought it was God's word, they'd jump to something else really quickly.  :P
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline rabbit

• I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 10:07:56 am »
Hm.  The History Channel did a spiel about the Da Vinci code.  It didn't pan out at all.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 12:58:36 pm »
Everyone in the world complains too much.  "You're going against what I believe in! Rather than accept that and DEAL with the fact that not everything in the world revolves around what I [dis]like, I'm going to start something and convince others of my moronic ways!"
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 05:34:20 pm »
I'm not at all surprised.  A lot of the book greatly undermines Catholic ideals.  If it's true, then the Church spent 2000 years hiding the fact that Jesus had a wife and that a great deal of what they said about his life is wrong.  Of course they're going to be upset at a movie if it reveals their secret.  And if it's false, then they'll hate it for the same reason, except that the book makes it look that way when it isn't.

in either case, the fuss is totally understandable.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 06:48:25 pm »
Or, this could all be a major media event in order to make you think it's NOT a conspiracy!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 11:04:49 pm »
The media surrounding the book (or movie, whatever) doesn't really make any difference in the believability.  The Church would deny it whether or not it is real, and hollywood would promote it whether or not it's real.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 11:28:23 pm »
On a side note, in the book Holy Blood, Holy Cross some of the same things are discussed, such as Jesus having never died on the cross, and Jesus getting married and his bloodline continuing until today. Either that or I'm totally misinformed and the DaVinci Code has nothing to do with those.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 11:57:23 pm by Joe »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 11:31:55 pm »
On a side note, in the book [t]Holy Blood, Holy Cross[/i] some of the same things are discussed, such as Jesus having never died on the cross, and Jesus getting married and his bloodline continuing until today. Either that or I'm totally misinformed and the DaVinci Code has nothing to do with those.
As far as I know, they're based on the same theories.  I seem to remember one of them trying to sue the other, or something..

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 01:07:15 am »
Oh ...  Now I have to watch it twice...
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 01:07:36 am »
The author(s) of HBHG tried to sue Dan Brown.  They failed.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 01:55:40 am »
The sad thing is the lack of education about it.  DVC was a novel (i.e., long and fiction), and the author refuses to divulge where he got his information.  And yet people act as if it's God's word.

Oh wait, if they thought it was God's word, they'd jump to something else really quickly.  :P

Unfortunately, there are an abundance of idiots who actually adopt the contents of the book as fact. :(

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 10:52:20 am »

Unfortunately, there are an abundance of idiots who actually adopt the contents of the book as fact. :(

The ideas are very convincing, and it's the kind of thing the Church WOULD do.  There's no strong evidence either way, except for the text in the bible, but that's like using an eyewitness account as proof. 

trust

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 11:43:21 am »
On a side note, in the book Holy Blood, Holy Cross some of the same things are discussed, such as Jesus having never died on the cross, and Jesus getting married and his bloodline continuing until today. Either that or I'm totally misinformed and the DaVinci Code has nothing to do with those.

It would be so awesome to say that your great great great great great great great great great great [etc.] grandfather was Jesus.