Author Topic: Test Tube Meat Nears Dinner Table  (Read 12041 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Test Tube Meat Nears Dinner Table
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 04:12:31 pm »
If evolution didn't want us to eat animals, then it would have equipped them with better natural defenses.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 04:15:20 pm »
I'd like to starve a vegetarian with a hamburger infront of him..see how long it is before I can break his spirit. That's always been a dream of mine.
He'd eat the bun, and the lettuce, and the tomato...

It's not like he wins after he eats. Point is to stay alive.

Even if he eats the hamburger he still dies. He just doesn't know it.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 04:18:48 pm »
Even if you eat all the meat in the world, you'll still die too Warrior.  Your point?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 04:45:19 pm »
Well that's probably okay if you just don't like how it tastes but if you don't like it because "It hurts our fellow animals". The hell out of here with that, i'd eat an animal alive if I was hungry enough.

I'd like to starve a vegetarian with a hamburger infront of him..see how long it is before I can break his spirit. That's always been a dream of mine.

Haha.  I still eat meat almost every day, but I don't get hyped about about steak dinners like a lot of people do.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, steak.
medium rare, somewhat pink in the middle.  glass of coke/beer.  baked potatoe with salt & butter.

....i'm salivating like a beast now!

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 05:04:14 pm »
Also a note to the admin/mod who deleted this: Fuck you and your rules. Problem solved.
........ :o

Whats with people & being so confrontational on forums these days?  F150Online has had a recent EXPLOSION of INTENSE conflict (usually steming off something political).

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 06:51:55 pm »
Even if you eat all the meat in the world, you'll still die too Warrior.  Your point?

Lol you're a fucking retard. First off:

You die of natural causes not of starvation. Second I'm using it in the context of me starving a person refusing to eat meat. Third you're an idiot. Fourth you're an idiot. Fifth you're an idiot.

Also a note to the admin/mod who deleted this: Fuck you and your rules. Problem solved.

Ok, do you really have to be a total asshole?  It's not befitting of a normal discussion, and it's just plain rude.  If you have a problem with somebody, take it off the forum. 

........ :o

Whats with people & being so confrontational on forums these days?  F150Online has had a recent EXPLOSION of INTENSE conflict (usually steming off something political).
Just a couple people who've always, technically, been a pain in the ass. 

Incidentally, I split and trashed Warrior's post.  I should have trashed replies too, but I forgot.  Warrior -- if you don't like it, then don't vote for me next month.  But I'm not putting up with that kind of attitude from anybody.  I don't care who it is. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 06:55:53 pm by iago »

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 09:17:25 pm »
If evolution didn't want us to eat animals, then it would have equipped them with better natural defenses.

Well, this is somewhat glib, because evolution isn't particularly conscious.  We are designed as omnivores though, so it is "natural" for us to eat meat.  I think there is a lot of sense in preferentially choosing which types of meat you would like to eat: a lot of people believe one has to have an "all or none" mentality in regards to vegetarianism.  Actually, a lot of people seem to intrinsically believe that if one doesn't have an "all or none" mentality towards many issues (death penalty, abortion, homosexuality, deterrent laws, ...) he/she is being inconsistent; it's quite a frustrating logical fallacy to get past.

Re: Untactical

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.   It may sound as though I'm belittling your opinion -- that's because I am.  You think humans are so obviously better, more intelligent, sentient, aware, because you are human!!!  *Pats on head*

I've met dogs who are a lot more intelligent than many humans I know, by your definition of intelligence.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 09:24:02 pm by Rule »

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 09:55:08 pm »
I don't think it's fair to bring evolution and natural selection into this. We domesticated the animals, breeding most of the genes we didn't want out of them.  They have been bred to suit our needs.  Nature didn't have control, we did.
errr... something like that...

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 10:54:05 pm »
Re: Untactical

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.   It may sound as though I'm belittling your opinion -- that's because I am.  You think humans are so obviously better, more intelligent, sentient, aware, because you are human!!!  *Pats on head*

I've met dogs who are a lot more intelligent than many humans I know, by your definition of intelligence.
That's probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard. :(

Humans are better than animals.  I don't see animals reasoning, inventing, or using complex methods to communicate.  And when you say you met dogs that are more intelligent than humans, you don't mean mentally ill humans, do you? And it probably sounds like I am belittling your opinion -- that's because I am.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 11:16:45 pm »

Humans are better than animals.  I don't see animals reasoning, inventing, or using complex methods to communicate.  And when you say you met dogs that are more intelligent than humans, you don't mean mentally ill humans, do you? And it probably sounds like I am belittling your opinion -- that's because I am.

I'm willing to believe that animals can reason and use complex methods to communicate.  I agree that animals aren't as intelligent than us, but I don't see Sidoh eating Joe (sorry Joe, but you're the best patsy).  Being more intelligent than something isn't sufficient for being able to eat them, but it is necessary, I think. 

And incidentally, that brings me back to the old question: why is it ok to eat pigs and cows and chickens and hotdogs, but it's not ok to eat dogs, cats, and stupid people?  I don't think pigs are any dumber than dogs, and whatever is in hotdogs may have the intelligence to rule the world ("think smaller, and more legs").  Who decides what is proper and improper to eat? 

This is an interesting debate for me, because I feel drawn to the "eating animals is not ok" side, but I'm not willing to give it up. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 12:11:54 am »
Sidoh eating Joe would be canibalism...we dont eat our own kind because (in theory) we have the same rights to life etc.  Sidoh eating a flying squirrel is just Sidoh eating a flying squirrel because he wanted to..it isnt immoral for him to do so

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 12:28:49 am »
why is it ok to eat pigs and cows and chickens and hotdogs, but it's not ok to eat dogs, cats, and stupid people?
I'd like to answer that question with a song that I wrote (not really):

I like pizza, I like bagels,
I like hot dogs with mustard and beer
I'll eat eggplant,
I could even eat a baby deer
La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 12:47:02 am »

It's interesting that you should say that when it comes from someone far more intelligent and learned than yourself.

Look at human tribes scattered throughout the world.  Even presently, with massive globalization, there are colonies of humans to be found in the north that barely know the meaning of fire.  We are certainly designed in such a way that makes it easier for us as a species to develop tools, sophisticated language, and so on.  But as you may be able to figure out from my comment on human tribes, we have also been lucky.

I have worked in the SPCA for 6 years, particularly with wolf dog breeds, and have also studied killer whales rather carefully.  Most pure wolf dogs are far more aware of their surroundings and capable of responding to them than humans are.  They are also faster at learning many skills than the average or even "gifted" human: hunting, recognition (voice, appearance, etc), prudent "crisis" or (urgent) decision making (for example, in those "fight or flight" situations).  Incidentally, in reputable academic journals (e.g. american journal of psychology), the average dog's overall learning capacity (not even singling out wolf dogs or german shepards) has been shown to be roughly equivalent to an average human 10 year old's.  However, they are intrinsically more gifted than most humans at certain tasks used to measure intelligence (as I've said above).

Further, whales have incredibly sophisticated mechanisms for communication and hunting.  They have built in sonar, and can interpret the position of an obstacle more than 500 feet away through perspicaciously sending out
clicks at frequencies of their own discretion.

Statements like "humans are better than animals," are extremely ignorant and arrogant.  In what way are  we better?  We're better because we're human? 

I can usually tell rather quickly when someone is speaking out of arrogance and not consideration.  It's something most of us humans tend to do -- I guess one of many problems with the human condition.

By the way, judging from the tone of your reply, I'm guessing you're religious.  Aside from this thread, I have no data to back that up.  You just seem conditioned in one way or another to talk the way you do when you obviously know very little about what you're saying.  Am I right?  I am not condemning you for being religious if you are, I'm just quite curious if my guess is correct.

(Aside): I don't think a predator is "necessarily" more intelligent than his prey.  Consider great white sharks and dolphins, for example.

Since we are human, and naturally would love to think of ourselves as "special," we tend to lose sight of how closely we are connected to other mammals (thinking about SSU RNA or DNA, or simply by looking at a phylogenetic tree).  Our blueprint, or "prototype" is very close to the design of some other particular animals, so the notion that we are so much different as a species is delusional from a scientific (rational) standpoint.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:11:49 am by Rule »

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 08:30:02 am »
And incidentally, that brings me back to the old question: why is it ok to eat pigs and cows and chickens and hotdogs, but it's not ok to eat dogs, cats, and stupid people?  I don't think pigs are any dumber than dogs, and whatever is in hotdogs may have the intelligence to rule the world ("think smaller, and more legs").  Who decides what is proper and improper to eat?   
That was all decided back in the old days.  Dogs aided in the hunt, so they weren't eaten.  Cats killed rodents, so they weren't eaten, and stupid people were drawn and quartered, and probably had the plague, so they weren't eaten.  Pigs did jack shit besides make good meat.  Chickens made eggs, so they weren't always eaten.  Same with cows (except replace "eggs" with "milk").  And what kind of hotdog, beef or pork?

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 02:04:29 pm »
Why should we act in a way outside of what evolution has prepared us for, though, Rule?  If we are better-equipped to develop tools, then why shouldn't we use every advantage we naturally have to survive and thrive?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.