Author Topic: Hiya  (Read 14196 times)

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
Hiya
« on: November 12, 2006, 08:39:38 am »
I'm Andrew. I am from Miami, Fl. I am 17. I am a big nerd. I 12th grade and in MultiVariable Calculus/Differential Equations Dual Enrollment. I am in the Math Honor Society (Mu Alpha Theta), the American Technology Honor Society, Chess Club, Bridge Club (the card game), I was in math club till it folded itself into Mu Alpha Theta, and I was in JETS (Junior Engineering Technical Society) till it reformed into Physics Club, of which I am doubtful I will become a member of. I love math. I compete in math. I also love computers. I went to computer camp for 3 years, it was the best(too old to go back again next year). I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows XP Media Center Ed. I would like to use Ubuntu more but I can't get it work with my WIFI card and my house is wireless. I have a dog named Dawson and some fish in a fish tank (where else?)

My favorite quote is:"When I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, I see that the System Idle Process is hogging all the resources and chewing up 95 percent of the processor's cycles. Doing what? Doing nothing?"

And that's all.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:08:11 pm by Miamiandy »
Want to meet someone famous?  Cut out this coupon!

|This coupon good for  \
|ONE FREE hunting        \
|expedition with            /
|Dick Cheney.             /

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Hiya
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 12:05:41 pm »
"When I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, I see that the System Idle Process is hogging all the resources and chewing up 95 percent of the processor's cycles. Doing what? Doing nothing?"
When some luser notices that and asks you what's going on, you're supposed to tell them it's a virus. 

What type of wireless card are you using?  I've had a lot of luck with Orinoco cards, those are my favorite (Microsoft's wireless cards follow Orinoco standards, so they surprisingly work well with Linux).  I've also had success with the wireless cards built into Intel Centrino laptops (ipw2100 and ipw2200).  If it's one of those, you need a third party driver (google should find them easily).  Other than that, I'm not as sure. 

Besides all that, welcome :P

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 01:35:14 pm »
Welcome. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 01:43:02 pm »
My favorite quote is:"When I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, I see that the System Idle Process is hogging all the resources and chewing up 95 percent of the processor's cycles. Doing what? Doing nothing?"

A complete idiot says "processor's cycles?"

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 02:31:19 pm »
I am in the Math Honor Society (Mu Alpha Theta), I was in math club till it folded itself into Mu Alpha Theta

Are you going to go to competitions this year? If so, will you go to any invitationals? Have you been to any competitions previously? How high have you placed in them? What school do you go to?
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 02:35:24 pm »
A complete idiot says "processor"?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 02:56:18 pm »
I am in the Math Honor Society (Mu Alpha Theta), I was in math club till it folded itself into Mu Alpha Theta

Are you going to go to competitions this year? If so, will you go to any invitationals? Have you been to any competitions previously? How high have you placed in them? What school do you go to?

Yes. The three regionals and possibly states (99% certainty unless otherwise committed.) I've competed previously. I have placed 5th with the Pre-Calc team on two competitions in 10th grade. I got 1st on written, 2nd overall, and 3rd with my team on the local Mathcounts competition in 8th. My goal is to make it to the AIME this year (pass the AMC.) I probably would have passed last year but my teacher was pissed at me at the time so I didn't get to compete in the AMC (re: homework.) I go to Miami Palmetto Senior High.

The quote is from John C. Dvorak.

"When I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, I see that the System Idle Process is hogging all the resources and chewing up 95 percent of the processor's cycles. Doing what? Doing nothing?"
When some luser notices that and asks you what's going on, you're supposed to tell them it's a virus. 

What type of wireless card are you using?  I've had a lot of luck with Orinoco cards, those are my favorite (Microsoft's wireless cards follow Orinoco standards, so they surprisingly work well with Linux).  I've also had success with the wireless cards built into Intel Centrino laptops (ipw2100 and ipw2200).  If it's one of those, you need a third party driver (google should find them easily).  Other than that, I'm not as sure. 

Besides all that, welcome :P

I'll look and figure out which wireless card it is. My comp is a HP Pavilion zd8000, a 17 inch, way too heavy laptop.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 02:58:35 pm by Miamiandy »

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 05:08:11 pm »
Welcome to the forums. ^^

Do you like music?  If so, what type of music and who is your favorite artist?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 06:19:01 pm »
A complete idiot says "processor"?
A complete idiot knows that "ctrl" means "control"?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 06:38:12 pm »
Seriously, shut up.

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 08:25:45 pm »
Welcome to the forums. ^^

Do you like music?  If so, what type of music and who is your favorite artist?

Don't listen to much music. Like a bunch of Weird Al's music and a friend of mine has tried to convince me into Sigor Ros for a four week period. I think I might give that another try actually. I'm in the mood for that right now actually.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 08:48:07 pm »
Don't listen to much music. Like a bunch of Weird Al's music and a friend of mine has tried to convince me into Sigor Ros for a four week period. I think I might give that another try actually. I'm in the mood for that right now actually.

There's a whore for Sigor Ros on the forums somewhere... I forget who though.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 08:51:10 pm »

There's a whore for Sigor Ros on the forums somewhere... I forget who though.

I think I know who you are talking about. Is it Ender?? He is the friend who had tried to convince me in that previously mentioned period.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 08:53:36 pm by Miamiandy »

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 09:09:54 pm »
I suggest going to Ubuntu community forums [ubuntuforums.org], if you haven't already.

And, welcome!  :)

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 09:12:01 pm »
I suggest going to Ubuntu community forums [ubuntuforums.org], if you haven't already.
I've looked there a bit in the past. The biggest issue I have is getting on the internet in Ubuntu in order to fix it. It is really difficult for me to get a hardwired connection to the router when at home. Although i think i might have a way to now since we redid our network.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯