Author Topic: Dual Enrollment/PSEO  (Read 8463 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Dual Enrollment/PSEO
« on: March 14, 2007, 12:14:10 am »
Well, as some of you know (mainly the "some" I've talked to recently), I'm looking to apply to the University of Minnesota for post secondary (basically: state pays for you to challenge yourself at a college and you don't have to attend high school if you get accepted full-time, but you still earn credits towards high school graduation).  I have to write a couple essays for it.  I'm just wondering if anybody out there is
A.  Skilled at writing essays
and
B.  Has a little bit of free time that they'd volunteer to edit my essays.

I didn't post the essays for obvious reasons, so don't bother stating the obvious please.  Also, feel free to post and tell me if you think I'm making a mistake or anything by applying to a college 2 years early.  I probably won't listen, but it's nice to see another side to the story.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Dual Enrollment/PSEO
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:45:49 am »
No -- anything but traditional high school is a really retarded thing to do at your age. (That was for Sidoh, not you deadly).

If you're willing to put your "I HATE JOE-zooka" away for a minute, I'd be more than willing to take a look at them. I'm actually interested in what dual-enrollment would take (I'm not interested in the program itself).
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:52:59 am »
No -- anything but traditional high school is a really retarded thing to do at your age. (That was for Sidoh, not you deadly).

He's right. I can always choose to go to middle college (basically same thing as you, but at a community college) but I won't.

If you try really hard at my school you can graduate after 3 years (have enough credits to graduate). Somehow, that would look bad.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 06:54:49 am »
Joe, there's a difference between dropping out and taking a set of online courses and GOING TO COLLEGE.

Anyway, deadly, in a few weeks I'm starting my Writing Intensive Tutor class, so I guess that qualifies me as someone who can help you.  If you want any done this week, the best I can say is fuck you, I have finals next week (and this Saturday).  But after that I'm fine.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 04:21:23 pm »
He's right. I can always choose to go to middle college (basically same thing as you, but at a community college) but I won't.

If you try really hard at my school you can graduate after 3 years (have enough credits to graduate). Somehow, that would look bad.
Yeah, but your school doesn't have fucked up scheduling.  Block scheduling is the devil.  Four classes a day for 83 minutes.  It'd be one thing if those classes actually had work to keep me occupied for the duration of the class, but there just isn't enough.  Also, a high school is still a high school and quite frankly, there's a lot of douchebags at my school that I can't stand.  And of course stupid school rules.

I don't think you can graduate early at my school, but I hadn't bothered to check.

Anyway, deadly, in a few weeks I'm starting my Writing Intensive Tutor class, so I guess that qualifies me as someone who can help you.  If you want any done this week, the best I can say is fuck you, I have finals next week (and this Saturday).  But after that I'm fine.
I'm dropping off my application March 28th.  What's the last day you have finals?  Next week is basically when I'm going to start finalizing everything.  Unless you don't have finals every day (Monday-Friday) then you probably won't be able to help. :\

I'd be more than willing to take a look at them. I'm actually interested in what dual-enrollment would take (I'm not interested in the program itself).
You wouldn't find that information in my essays.  One of my essays is why I want to go to the U of M over my high school and the other was written with a topic in mind (out of a list they gave you).  Dual-enrollment requirements for each high school differ, but a college generally looks at academically superior students that are involved in clubs/activities.  The U of M takes ~50% of applicants, so it's very competitive.  I'm not sure what you're really looking to get out of my essays, so feel free to fill me in.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 04:39:01 pm »
I have exams Saturday, Monday, and Thursday.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 05:54:06 pm »
I suppose I could send them out to you on Friday, if you could possibly get them back to me by the end of Saturday (two Saturdays, mind you).

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:30:47 pm »
That should be fine, unless they are like, 50 pages.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 10:48:33 pm »
Joe, there's a difference between dropping out and taking a set of online courses and GOING TO COLLEGE.

You don't seem to listen to me, so I'll let deadly back me up on this:

* Yeah, but [online schooling] doesn't have fucked up scheduling. 

* It'd be one thing if those classes actually had work to keep me occupied for the duration of the class, but there just isn't enough.

* Also, a high school is still a high school and quite frankly, there's a lot of douchebags at my school that I can't stand. 

* And of course stupid school rules.

* I don't think you can graduate early at my school, but I hadn't bothered to check.

You wouldn't find that information in my essays.  One of my essays is why I want to go to the U of M over my high school and the other was written with a topic in mind (out of a list they gave you).  Dual-enrollment requirements for each high school differ, but a college generally looks at academically superior students that are involved in clubs/activities.  The U of M takes ~50% of applicants, so it's very competitive.  I'm not sure what you're really looking to get out of my essays, so feel free to fill me in.

A neat read in my boredom, basically. I read random things sometimes, so I figure it'd be kinda neat to read something you guys have written (I read most of iago's ASM guide already :P).

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 11:08:01 pm »
blah blah blah ignorant argument
A: The title of the thread is DUAL enrollment
B: The only point relevant to your argument is the third you made, and the fourth just backs me up.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 11:30:34 pm »
That should be fine, unless they are like, 50 pages.
They're one page, double spaced.. stupid page limits.

A neat read in my boredom, basically. I read random things sometimes, so I figure it'd be kinda neat to read something you guys have written (I read most of iago's ASM guide already :P).
Haha.  This is most definitely not a neat read.  One essay is me saying "Gee, my life sucks right now, but here's how the U of M will make it better!" and the other essay says "The computer is innovative because...."

A: The title of the thread is DUAL enrollment
A: I'm pretty sure PSEO is the equivalent to dual enrollment, but I'm not positive.  PSEO is basically: go to college, get college credit and high school credit, and graduate high school.  We don't refer to it as dual enrollment.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 03:48:43 am »
blah blah blah ignorant retort

@A: I know. I'm trying not to take this off topic, but I'll debate this out if you want.
@B: The first two aren't relevant? I can do my classes at the local coffee shop (they supply me a wifi-enabled laptop) and if I encounter a jackass while there I'm perfectly allowed to leave.

Haha.  This is most definitely not a neat read.  One essay is me saying "Gee, my life sucks right now, but here's how the U of M will make it better!" and the other essay says "The computer is innovative because...."

The second sounds like it might actually be amusing! Sounds like a good topic for you actually -- I'm sure your instructor will be pretty impressed, assuming you don't confuse the shit out of him because I doubt he knows how to use a computer for anything but word processing anyhow. :P. (Note, no sarcasm either)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 02:27:09 pm »
Yeah, but your school doesn't have fucked up scheduling.
College classes vary greatly in length. Some of mine are 50 minutes, others go up to 80.  Labs can last up to 5 hours at times and I know of one or two classes that have 7 hour labs (ridiculous!).

Seriously the only word of caution I have for getting into college early is that if you get in early, you make yourself inelligible for a looooot of scholarships.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 05:33:17 pm »
Peh...7 hour labs.  We have 24 hour ones :\

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 05:38:07 pm »
How does that work?
The writ of the founders must endure.