Author Topic: SATs  (Read 10674 times)

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
SATs
« on: May 22, 2008, 05:32:13 am »
I know most of you are college-age now, but did some of you take the SATs? How'd you do? I'm really disappointed with my score this time around; I retook the test and I only improved my writing by 10 points...and I did much worse in math  :P.

Combined Best Scores: 800CR/790M/730W

For those who have already applied to colleges NOT IN CANADA , how well do I fare with these scores?
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: SATs
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 08:20:43 am »
You raped my scores and I still got into Drexel.  You're fine with decent recommendations and entry essays.

trust

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:21:49 am »
You got a 2,320 out of 2,400...what are you worried about?

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:26:34 am »
You got a 2,320 out of 2,400...what are you worried about?
seriously  i got a 1,590 *cough * but i really dont care those tests are all about concentration and i have ADD so its hard. and i am going to college anyways.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 01:55:46 pm »
I know most of you are college-age now, but did some of you take the SATs? How'd you do? I'm really disappointed with my score this time around; I retook the test and I only improved my writing by 10 points...and I did much worse in math  :P.

Combined Best Scores: 800CR/790M/730W

For those who have already applied to colleges NOT IN CANADA , how well do I fare with these scores?

Why all of the bullshit in your post?  You write that you're really dissapointed with your scores "this time around", and then only list your combined best scores.  You know how several others did on their SAT here; don't whine about doing relatively well.  Just say you're happy with your results.  No-one here can give you detailed meaningful estimates of how well you fare with those scores in general.  From what I remember (I took the SAT when it was out of 1600; there was a math section worth 800 points, and a verbal multiple choice section worth 800 points), you're in the competitive range for pretty much any university, so you should try to communicate with any particular university you're interested in to get more meaningful feedback.  You did well -- good job.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:51:30 pm by Rule »

trust

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 03:03:17 pm »
Yeah seriously how are you disappointed with your scores, those scores are accepted at America's stop institutions and if you're looking at anywhere below Ivy league, you're definitely a shoe in. I had around an 1850 and got into my first choice school, but I only took the SAT once and didn't prepare for it or anything.

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:59:56 pm »
Disappointed with a 2320 out of 2400? That's a damn fine score, you can retake it if you really want but it won't make much of a difference. If you have a good GPA (3.5) you would be accepted almost anywhere.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 09:04:40 pm »
Go to MIT and make Newby feel tarded. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

trust

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 09:21:07 pm »
he's just bragging.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 09:28:07 pm »
he's just bragging.
I must say I'm inclined to agree.
Deuce, you're not an idiot, cut the pretense and just change the title to "I'M BETTER THAN YOU!!!111"
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 10:42:44 pm »
I think I need to clear things up a bit. I'm aware that these are generally good scores, but I come from a school where this is the norm. I should've explained (I thought I had explained it before) that although I'm a fairly good test take, I suck grade-wise, and my GPA is much too low. As some people might have been, I'm a college confidential whore, and I always check to see where I stand comparatively. There are these crazy asians who follow this and from what I've basically surmised, is that to secure acceptance into any elite schools, you need to start off with a perfect in math (which I didn't get) and very high CR/W scores, which even after studying, I failed to do in writing. There are kids this year who applied to my choice colleges that not only got better SATs that I did, but had a higher overall GPA and some did much more interesting extracurriculars. They were rejected from their first pick, and some even from their second. My first college choice is the California Institute of Technology, a very, very small but very, very, good college in California. My friend and I (who had worse SATs than I did btw) both applied to a program there that is really amazing (Newby should know what I'm talking about I think). He was waitlisted (eventually rejected) but I was straight up rejected. I've really started to worry I will not able to go to any of my 1st/2nd pick colleges and that I would be forced to go to an in-state college. The in-state colleges in my state are actually very good, but once you'ved lived in Florida for so long, it all seems the same and I really need a change of environment. So basically my question was, are my SAT scores good enough to get me into the best colleges even though I'm suffering in other aspects? Are these scores good enough for admissions officers to be like "well, look at this young nigga, even though he got some Bs and shit, I can see from the SAT scores he's good peoples"?

Falcon: my unweighted GPA is probably 3.5 or less. I'm scared to find out.

Trust: I am not looking below Ivy League. (Although I don't particularly want to go them, just a college at their level (eg, Duke/Vanderbilt/etc).

Perhaps I've been disillusioned by the 4000 studious asians at my school.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 12:05:23 am »
I've found grades are like 80% of getting into a good college.

My friend had a 35 on the ACT, 800 math2/790 chemistry subject tests, 2100 SAT (700 in everything iirc) and only had 2 Bs his entire schooling career (#5 in our grade). He took 5 AP tests last year and 8 this year. He's the band major for our school and marches in some national band. He took some government course at Princeton over summer between Junior/Senior year. And he's varsity swim. He got into UC Berkeley but got rejected from Princeton and Columbia.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

trust

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 12:07:18 am »
I think I need to clear things up a bit. I'm aware that these are generally good scores, but I come from a school where this is the norm. I should've explained (I thought I had explained it before) that although I'm a fairly good test take, I suck grade-wise, and my GPA is much too low. As some people might have been, I'm a college confidential whore, and I always check to see where I stand comparatively. There are these crazy asians who follow this and from what I've basically surmised, is that to secure acceptance into any elite schools, you need to start off with a perfect in math (which I didn't get) and very high CR/W scores, which even after studying, I failed to do in writing. There are kids this year who applied to my choice colleges that not only got better SATs that I did, but had a higher overall GPA and some did much more interesting extracurriculars. They were rejected from their first pick, and some even from their second. My first college choice is the California Institute of Technology, a very, very small but very, very, good college in California. My friend and I (who had worse SATs than I did btw) both applied to a program there that is really amazing (Newby should know what I'm talking about I think). He was waitlisted (eventually rejected) but I was straight up rejected. I've really started to worry I will not able to go to any of my 1st/2nd pick colleges and that I would be forced to go to an in-state college. The in-state colleges in my state are actually very good, but once you'ved lived in Florida for so long, it all seems the same and I really need a change of environment. So basically my question was, are my SAT scores good enough to get me into the best colleges even though I'm suffering in other aspects? Are these scores good enough for admissions officers to be like "well, look at this young nigga, even though he got some Bs and shit, I can see from the SAT scores he's good peoples"?

Falcon: my unweighted GPA is probably 3.5 or less. I'm scared to find out.

Trust: I am not looking below Ivy League. (Although I don't particularly want to go them, just a college at their level (eg, Duke/Vanderbilt/etc).

Perhaps I've been disillusioned by the 4000 studious asians at my school.

Seriously, you're upset that you scored less than 100 points away from a perfect score on your SAT. Do you prefer to be thrown in a trashcan or stuffed into a locker?

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 01:20:01 am »
With a 3.5 GPA and your SAT score you have a 80% chance of getting into UT (Texas), why go anywhere else.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 01:21:33 am »
i hate texas