Author Topic: DVD to AVI?  (Read 9216 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
DVD to AVI?
« on: August 08, 2010, 02:44:49 pm »
What software(s) do you guys use to rip a full dvd to an encoded AVI, MKV, or other format? Which format(s) do you prefer/why? I've got some DVDs I want to back up before they [eventually] die and am looking for some feedback..
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: DVD to AVI?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:40:58 pm »
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:33:11 pm »
What software(s) do you guys use to rip a full dvd to an encoded AVI, MKV, or other format? Which format(s) do you prefer/why? I've got some DVDs I want to back up before they [eventually] die and am looking for some feedback..
Rip with DVDDecryptor, encode with MeGUI, contain with MKVMerge.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:20:46 pm »
Rip with DVDDecryptor, encode with MeGUI, contain with MKVMerge.

Vouch for the last two on this.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 11:45:37 pm »
Which container do you guys recommend? MKV or AVI? I've heard MKV has better compression ratios resulting in high-quality video while being a low-space format.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:57:06 pm »
MKV is feature enriched, whilst AVI has higher compatibility.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:32:17 am »
MKV is feature enriched, whilst AVI has higher compatibility.
I'm super unfamiliar with video streams. Are there any features in MKV's that I would actually find myself using? Alternately: if I intend to play it off my computer with VLC, does it matter regarding an AVI's "compatibility"? The data I found suggest that if I'm going to hook up a comp to a TV via HDMI, MKV's are way better for showing HD video than are AVI's.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:13:13 am »
If you're playing it on a PC, MKV is the way to go.

Also, http://www.matroska.org/technical/guides/faq/index.html

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 01:23:07 am »
I haven't found a video format VLC can't play. MKV works fine.

As a side note, I use RipIt for ripping and HandBrake (I don't understand the name either) for converting. Alternatively RipIt just dumps it in a DVD format that works fine with both VLC and Apple's DVD Player app, but keeps the native file size which I don't like.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 09:29:58 am »
HandBrake is garbage.  There are 2 ways to force a framerate, but neither work.  IVTC'ing a video is a pain in the ass, too.  No matter what you do, HandBrake will ALWAYS encode in VFR.  Screw HandBrake.

Which container do you guys recommend? MKV or AVI? I've heard MKV has better compression ratios resulting in high-quality video while being a low-space format.
The only time I use AVI is when I'm encoding video for my 360 (which I haven't done in a very long time) or when I plan to add hardsubs (also very rare), for which I use AVIMux.  I prefer MKV over AVI for various reasons which have all be stated, but mostly because of how flexible it is.  It's much easier (and requires a bit less space) to encode a video with multiple audio tracks in MKV.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 10:12:18 am »
rabbit: MKV's have hardcoded subs too... i've downloaded a few that have had them. they also have a 'subtitle' option sometimes too, which is nifty. Or is this not normal?

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:10:28 am »
mencoder from the mplayer suite.  It's quite technical to use but you can encode any format from any format.

I recommend not decrypting the DVD.  Laws like the DMCA specifically prohibit circumventing the protection schemes (fair use does not apply).  However, a lot of DVD backup software merely copies the raw DVD image without decrypting which arguably doesn't circumvent the protection schemes.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 02:30:37 pm »
mencoder from the mplayer suite.  It's quite technical to use but you can encode any format from any format.

I recommend not decrypting the DVD.  Laws like the DMCA specifically prohibit circumventing the protection schemes (fair use does not apply).  However, a lot of DVD backup software merely copies the raw DVD image without decrypting which arguably doesn't circumvent the protection schemes.
Actually, DMCA has been changed.  You're allowed to break encryption for fair use (CSS on DVDs to play them on Linux, for example).  It's totally legal do reencode.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 03:13:14 pm »

Actually, DMCA has been changed.  You're allowed to break encryption for fair use (CSS on DVDs to play them on Linux, for example).  It's totally legal do reencode.

It still looks illegal to me:
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/

That document was revised July 28, 2010.  No where are there clauses that permit circumventing copy protection for backups.  Those clauses are the only form of fair use.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 03:51:23 pm »

It still looks illegal to me:
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/

That document was revised July 28, 2010.  No where are there clauses that permit circumventing copy protection for backups.  Those clauses are the only form of fair use.

Close enough :P