Author Topic: Stem Cell Research  (Read 11949 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Stem Cell Research
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2006, 10:17:51 pm »
Such things could quite possibly be legal in other countries, or just deliberately failing to stop it. I don't doubt the fact that a human has already been cloned somewhere.

I have serious doubts that one has successfully been produced in the public scientific community (that's where it matters), but you're right.  It's definitely possible that it's been done.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2006, 10:20:29 pm »
JUST FUCKING KILL THE BABIES
WE NEED THEM STEMCELLS.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2006, 02:34:16 pm »
I am absolutely against stem cell research.  I believe that when an opportunity to impede scientific progress arises, we are under a moral obligation to take it.  Anything that could possibly develop into human life should be protected; so it is natural that I should want to sexually molest as many women as I can.  To waste my sperm without guilt would be to deny the reality that these sperm are only a few steps from starting a process which could possibly lead to human life. If I feel that it is necessary to make sexual advances towards a nearby able female of the same species, then by all means it is her duty to cooperate -- I cannot understand why society would believe otherwise.  By the way, masturbation is cognitive dissonance.   

Then again, I cannot understand the argument that stem cell research should be acceptable to us "pro-lifers" because a majority of it is done with fetuses from fertility clinics that would have gone to complete waste anyways. I, oh I mean "we", do not believe in fertility clinics.  Allowing the abandoned undeveloped fetuses to be used in a way that would advance science would be an indirect acknowledgement that we somehow support fertility clinics.  It is better to let the fetuses be thrown out and discarded than to risk appearing hypocritical or
supportive of an unwholesome operation.

Besides, why should advancing science and medicine to save millions that are suffering be so important anyways? 
If someone is suffering, it is meant to be that way, and we would be interfering with nature to help them.  I have been taught by my family that this is wrong.  If someone gets seriously injured around me, they better hope that
someone other than me is close by to call an ambulance for them.  You may feel that I am hypocritical, but I have only been to the emergency room 3 times: once because a carrot attacked my private region, and the other two times were to give those doctors a piece of my mind.  Anyone who thinks it is noble to want a career in medicine is lacking in moral fortitude. 

You may be thinking: "shouldn't I be protecting single celled organisms because they may one day evolve into a human form?"  Indeed I should, but let's not discuss that too much because it will make my arguments seem less credible.   Besides, I choose not to understand evolution, and I'll get to that later. I generally like to deem people murderers once they interfere with fertilized eggs.  It may seem arbitrary where I draw this line: after all, a fertilized egg is not introspective, aware, capable of feeling, or even conscious at all -- and it will take many stages of development and quite a bit of time to become a recognizable human.  However, it seems that restricting my arguments to fertilized eggs is more effective for pushing my moral judgements onto other people.  Maybe it's because we started arguing from this point long ago, and the ball just started rolling.  You'd be amazed how effective just repeating your argument over and over again can be.  Soon what you are saying is somehow recognized as a rational point, and then the arguments start to take place under this premise.  I do it all the time.  And don't forget to obfuscate your arguments with words like "cognitive dissonance": it's a good way of shutting people down.

Oh, and don't think that any life is more valuable than human "life": even if we are comparing creatures that are unarguably more intelligent and aware than any fertilized egg, and even compared to some humans.  It is obvious that humans are logically very different and special from all other animals.  It is OK to murder other intelligent animals but not humans, because we are introspective.  No, I don't have proof that other animals aren't, it's obvious you fool.  And don't pull that "evolution" nonsense on me, because it's obvious that's a load of garbage.  Most educated scientists and academics recognize Darwin's evolution as an important theory, but then again, most of these same people are against everything that I stand for.   It saddens me to think that our great species could be connected to other lowly animals.  Even Darwin himself didn't believe in his theories.  I don't have a source for that, but it's common knowledge.

Good game.

P.S.  Do you really want to run the risk of having human clone armies?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 03:16:16 pm by Rule »