Author Topic: Stem Cell Research  (Read 12008 times)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: Stem Cell Research
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006, 10:53:03 am »
Because we have no idea where this could lead, it might even hold the key for extending human lives by MANY years. I think the possiblity over sucessful treatments with stemcells GREATLY outweighs what the opposeing side to this arguement has to say.

Would you think it's ok to murder an innocent grown man if it helps out others?  This could be viewed as the same thing. 

Emphasis on could. Anyways, can a fetus process thoughts at such an early stage anyways? People already get their babies aborted, so why not use those tword stem cell research? What you said strengthens my point, imo, that what the opposing side has to say doesnt outweigh the benefite that it could possible have. (I think you are just argueing on the other side for the fun of it ;) )

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2006, 10:57:09 am »
Emphasis on could. Anyways, can a fetus process thoughts at such an early stage anyways? People already get their babies aborted, so why not use those tword stem cell research? What you said strengthens my point, imo, that what the opposing side has to say doesnt outweigh the benefite that it could possible have. (I think you are just argueing on the other side for the fun of it ;) )

iago (nor anyone in this thread, if I'm not mistaken) ever said abortion was moral.  That's another argument.

Regardless of the stage of the stage in the embryo's development (or zygote, for that matter), ripping its constituents appart is still taking away potential life.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2006, 11:17:11 am »
In iago's theory, I turned 16 four days ago. =)

EDIT -
No, that's 6 months. I turned 16 in January.

Typically, you measure your age based on your birthday, not the day you were created. 

Abortion has the same problem.  The fetus or zygote whatever is the start of a life, and there's no way of knowing whether it is human or not.  I've pretty much convinced myself through lots of consideration and contemplation that there is a part of humans that isn't physical, that can't be touched, or felt, or scanned.  The part could be called a soul, if you're religious (which I'm not).  I don't know at which point in the creation of a human that he gets this soul, but it seems logical that it happens at the moment of conception. 

(Incidentally, I'm not going to go out and condemn abortion or stem cell research, far from it.  But I really think that people need to think more carefully about killing an innocent human to heal others)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2006, 11:39:44 am »
We squash bugs, we slaughter many cattle, why is ONE DAMN CELL so important to everyone?
Because the one cell is human. 

ONE cell isn't human!
Stem cells in animals are primal undifferentiated cells that retain the ability to divide and differentiate into other cell types. In higher plants this function is the defining property of the meristematic cells. Stem cells have the ability to act as a repair system for the body, because they can divide and differentiate, replenishing other cells as long as the host organism is alive.

Medical researchers believe stem cell research has the potential to change the face of human disease by being used to repair specific tissues or to grow organs. Yet there is general agreement that, "significant technical hurdles remain that will only be overcome through years of intensive research."[1]

We need "intensive research", by pushing back the research with a stupid debate like this, we may never see the benefits of stem cells in our life time.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 11:41:27 am by GameSnake »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 12:05:31 pm »
ONE cell isn't human!

It develops into a full person.  I'd say that makes it human. 

Plus, read my previous post. 

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 12:07:49 pm »
We squash bugs, we slaughter many cattle, why is ONE DAMN CELL so important to everyone?
Because the one cell is human. 

ONE cell isn't human!
Stem cells in animals are primal undifferentiated cells that retain the ability to divide and differentiate into other cell types. In higher plants this function is the defining property of the meristematic cells. Stem cells have the ability to act as a repair system for the body, because they can divide and differentiate, replenishing other cells as long as the host organism is alive.

Medical researchers believe stem cell research has the potential to change the face of human disease by being used to repair specific tissues or to grow organs. Yet there is general agreement that, "significant technical hurdles remain that will only be overcome through years of intensive research."[1]

We need "intensive research", by pushing back the research with a stupid debate like this, we may never see the benefits of stem cells in our life time.
You're silly.  Just because America isn't doing it doesn't mean other countries aren't as well. :)

So we will see it eventually if America doesn't allow it. :D
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »
America won't, but I'm sure alot of other countries would. Maybe even evil countrys looking to make a mass-cloned army?

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 02:12:06 pm »
America won't, but I'm sure alot of other countries would. Maybe even evil countrys looking to make a mass-cloned army?
Z0mg I thought you thought that America *was* an evil country!
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 04:32:38 pm »
Stem cell research isn't all about cloning it only helps understand some of it..  And I highly doubt that the US would allow a country to go and make a cloned army. :)

P.S.
Other countries are already doing stem cell research.
And all winds that liven

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 06:52:04 pm »
Z0mg I thought you thought that America *was* an evil country!
America is evil in a different way, obviously.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2006, 06:55:39 pm »
Stem cell research isn't all about cloning it only helps understand some of it..  And I highly doubt that the US would allow a country to go and make a cloned army. :)

P.S.

Cloning would be a useful method in harvesting embryos to extract stem cells -- that's what we're saying is ill-moraled.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006, 09:18:43 pm »

P.S.

Cloning would be a useful method in harvesting embryos to extract stem cells -- that's what we're saying is ill-moraled.
Yep, and I agree with that.  But right now cloning a human is scientifically impossible, but maybe in the future things will change. :)
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2006, 09:25:43 pm »
Yep, and I agree with that.  But right now cloning a human is scientifically impossible, but maybe in the future things will change. :)

I think the only reason it's possible is because research on the matter has been hindered by legal intervention (not that I don't agree with it).

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2006, 09:28:03 pm »

I think the only reason it's possible is because research on the matter has been hindered by legal intervention (not that I don't agree with it).
Well lets hope things don't change too much.  I rather like a clone-free world. :)
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2006, 10:14:05 pm »

Such things could quite possibly be legal in other countries, or just deliberately failing to stop it. I don't doubt the fact that a human has already been cloned somewhere.