Author Topic: Boozefest!!  (Read 13027 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Boozefest!!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 03:10:17 pm »
Instrumentals are great.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 04:08:10 pm »
Not if they're boring :|
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 06:18:34 pm »
Indeed.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 07:16:20 pm »
I suspect it was a good instrumental, but I always find them boring. 

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 08:14:51 pm »
I like some instrumentals.  "Transylvania" is my favorite.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 03:08:06 am »
June 9    BOOZEFEST: Liqurd, Of Human Bondage, Damascus, Putrescence, Igor & The Skindiggers

Well, we stayed for four bands this time.  And I actually know what's what! 

Again, this is more for my benefit because I have a bad memory. 

Igor & The Skindiggers: Great music, great show.  They all dress up a bit, and "Igor" is this huge guy wearing a costume and doing things like ripping-open a head and eating its brain, or sucking the juice out of an intestine, or walking around the audience with his sword.  Having a non-musical guy was really cool. 

Putrescence: Very heavy death-metal, almost sounded like grind-core to me.  I enjoy a little bit of this style, and they played a half hour, so it was perfect.  A lot of energy, and a lot of fun. 

Damascus: I've seen this band before, at Metal Fest (which I also posted about here).  They're fairly young, and I'm impressed at the vocals guy: for such a small guy, he's got an amazing voice.  They play death metal, but it has a really cool sound.  It's a great band. 

Of Human Bondage: I could swear that I remember the name, but I just can't place where from.  Anyway, they do black metal.  They don't have the best music I've heard, but it's still really good. 

I also found a copy of the poster, thanks to Damascus's MySpace site: http://collect.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.showDetails&Band_Show_ID=4551730&friendid=7282892

I am going to the cottage for the day tomorrow, then to the final day of BoozeFest.  The the next day, dinner at the best restaurant in the city!! It's a great weekend :)

[size=0pt]Fixed your mis-tag[/font].
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 11:52:43 am by Newby »

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 02:13:20 pm »
I'm confused  ???  How many types of metal are there?
errr... something like that...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2006, 02:23:22 pm »
Well, it's all over.  In 3 days, we saw 11 bands. 

June 10    BOOZEFEST: Mung, Dreadnaut, Port Amoral, The Hearsemen, 3 Day Binge

I've seen so many bands that it's turning into a blur, but I'll try to remember who's who, which is why it's especially important to remind myself, just in case it comes up again.  Last night was more like thrash and borderline punk, compared to Thursday and Friday which were mostly death/black metal.  It was a nice change, and I had a great time.

3 Day Binge: Missed because of stopping for A&W, among other things.  Oops :)

The Hearsemen: A metal/punk band.  They have a great sound, but I don't remembe anything specific. 

Port Amoral: Some sort of melodic metal or metalcore or something.  They have a really cool sound, and I liked it a lot. 

Dreadnaut: This was the first time I saw dreadnaut, even though I kept trying to.  They were amazing!  I think most of the people went there just to see them.  I think they would be classed as Thrash, but I'm not positive. 

Mung: Not as good as Dreadnaut, but still a good note to end the weekend on.  The third or fourth band to wear black and white facepaint, but it's all good.  I have a lot of respect for good bands with 3 members. 

Throughout the weekend, my favorite bands (in alphabetical order) were:
Damascus
Dreadnaut
Igor & The Skindiggers
Port Amoral
To Hell With 'em

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2006, 02:25:10 pm »
I'm confused  ???  How many types of metal are there?
There are plenty, and I'm not exactly sure what the difference is, all the time.  Newby or Hitmen can elaborate more:

Death Metal - Heavy, with satanic/anti-christian/death themes (eg, Deicide)
Black Metal - A lot like death metal, I don't know what the difference is.  Usually european.
Thrash Metal - Not so heavy, with more screamy voice (eg, slayer, exodus)
Hair Metal - 80's style (twisted sister, old metallica)
Power Metal - *shrug*
Speed Metal - I assume it's fast.  Dunno
Melodic Metal - Metal with more singing, harmony, I think
Metalcore - Something like Melodic, sorta more mainstream (eg, killswitch engage)
Grindcore - Sort of metal.  Usually extremely heavy with themes along the lines of killing babies and stuff.

And I think there's probably more, but those are the ones I'm most familiar with. And my definitions could be wrong.  Hopefully Newby elaborates.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 02:28:48 pm by iago »

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006, 02:32:42 pm »
Dragonforce is speed metal, if you want an example.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 02:39:38 pm »
Death Metal = mostly simple heavy riffing, dark/deep grunted vocals, lots of drums (blastbeats anyone?), themes about killing/death/Satan. ex: Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Obituary, Death.

Black Metal = the guitar tone is either all out riffage or very light, the vocals are shrieked/hissed and are about Satan/occult/evil, blastbeats galore or very little drumming to take an atmospheric effect. ex: Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Burzum, Mayhem.

Thrash Metal = <33333333333. RIFFAGE DOWN YER FUCKIN' THROAT, very aggressive drumming (snare drum + clash + bass drum) with shouted vocals. Not screamed or grunted, shouted. Think punk just trying to be less punk. ex: Slayer (pre-Seasons in the Abyss), early Metallica (pre-Ride the Lightning), Exodus, Death Angel, Coroner, Dark Angel, Testament, Torture Squad, Sepultura (pre-Arise), Annihilator, Forbidden, Nuclear Assault.

Speed Metal = very riffy. A lot like thrash, but not as aggressive in vocal department or drums. ex: Judas Priest (Unleashed in the East = speed fucking metal), Iron Maiden.

Hair Metal = balls to the fucking wall heavy fucking metal revolving around womanizing. When people say heavy metal, this is often who you think of. ex's include Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, W.A.S.P., etc.

Power Metal = lots of melodic riffs, drums vary, the vocals include stuff about fairy tales or stories and are often the cleanest you'll find in any metal. ex: Iced Earth, Helloween, Blind Guardian, DragonForce.

Melodic* = very melodic and progressive compared to the original genre. i.e. Melodic Death Metal = more progressive and varied in the guitar riffs, and the vocals aren't all grunted. They could be screamed! ex: The Black Dahlia Murder, Arch Enemy, Hypocrisy.

Metalcore = crap. Heh. I can't give you a good definition. Think hardcore trying to be metal, but failing miserably. Apparently good live though. ex: Unearth, Killswitch Engage.

Grindcore = punk meets thrash and has an ugly love child. Characterized by extremely fast (240 bpm easily) drumming, incomprehendable riffing and lyrics, and very short songs (often lacking a song structure). ex: Terrorizer, Napalm Death, Carcass, Pig Destroyer.

I'll elaborate later. Food is waiting!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 04:39:28 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 02:55:41 pm »
I've heard that melodic bands resemble symphonies.

Also, metalcore is awesome.  Unearth kicks ass.  Killswitch Engage is one of my favorite bands.

If you're going ot make a writeup, you may as well make it from a neutral point of view. :P

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 07:59:09 pm »
I've heard some stuff by Black Dahlia Murder, Carcass, and Sepultura on Chronix.  Me likey :)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 08:11:44 pm »
Dragonforce is speed metal, if you want an example.
I'd classify Dragonforce as more power/speed mix, at times.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 08:42:34 pm »
Yeah...well I don't like them so I don't really care :\