Author Topic: Area 51: The Alien Interview  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Area 51: The Alien Interview
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 02:34:35 pm »
I'm not though. :P  Just because I don't like wasting my time on stupid-not-even-funny things doesn't mean I am sheltered.

I hate that defense.  "Just because I don't waste my time on <X>, doesn't mean that I'm <Y>."  It's so silly.

You've never seen an episode of jackass?

That aside, I don't really think this video fits the definition of "stupid."

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 02:42:42 pm »
I dunno about that, this is pretty stupid. Not as stupid as the 'ghost that causes car crash' movie someone posted, but pretty fucking stupid none the less.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 02:44:26 pm »
I'm not though. :P  Just because I don't like wasting my time on stupid-not-even-funny things doesn't mean I am sheltered.

I hate that defense.  "Just because I don't waste my time on <X>, doesn't mean that I'm <Y>."  It's so silly.

You've never seen an episode of jackass?

I don't care if you hate that defense or not, it's a valid defense and to say differently is silly IMO.  And yes, I have seen about 1 or 2 episodes of jackass and I saw the movie (went with friends). Jackass is pretty stupid, but atleast it has *some* humour to it and entertainment value, unlike this.  I don't watch Jackass, the only time I see it is if a friend is watching it and I just happen to be over at their place.

I'm glad that you don't think it fits the definition of stupid, but I do.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2007, 02:51:13 pm »
I dunno about that, this is pretty stupid. Not as stupid as the 'ghost that causes car crash' movie someone posted, but pretty fucking stupid none the less.

I don't agree, considering one of the two experts who's opinions I valued most was "undecided," I don't think that it is stupid.

I don't care if you hate that defense or not, it's a valid defense and to say differently is silly IMO.  And yes, I have seen about 1 or 2 episodes of jackass and I saw the movie (went with friends). Jackass is pretty stupid, but atleast it has *some* humour to it and entertainment value, unlike this.  I don't watch Jackass, the only time I see it is if a friend is watching it and I just happen to be over at their place.

The reason I don't like it is because it annoys me when people say doing something is a waste of time in an object manner.  I could think up a number of reasons that watching stupid things isn't a waste of time (I obviously don't think that this is always true).  For starters, observing the stupid enlightens the ignorant.

You're misusing "stupid."  I think you should be saying "boring" or "pointless."  A movie isn't "stupid" because it lacks entertainment or humor (you're not Canadian! :P).  A documentary on a particle accelerator may be boring for some people, but I definitely don't think they could validly argue that it's stupid.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2007, 02:59:09 pm »

I don't agree, considering one of the two experts who's opinions I valued most was "undecided," I don't think that it is stupid.

The reason I don't like it is because it annoys me when people say doing something is a waste of time in an object manner.  I could think up a number of reasons that watching stupid things isn't a waste of time (I obviously don't think that this is always true).  For starters, observing the stupid enlightens the ignorant.

You're misusing "stupid."  I think you should be saying "boring" or "pointless."  A movie isn't "stupid" because it lacks entertainment or humor (you're not Canadian! :P).  A documentary on a particle accelerator may be boring for some people, but I definitely don't think they could validly argue that it's stupid.
Lol @ you.  I'm not misusing stupid in anyway.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stupid  Check #3 and #4 of the first definition.  And I like humour over humor. :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 03:00:49 pm by AntiVirus »
And all winds that liven

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2007, 03:05:33 pm »
Yep, you're right.  I shouldn't have said pointless either, because it wasn't pointless.  It clearly has a point.  It's either here to attempt to fool us or to show us some of the secrets our government is holding from us.

For the record, though, dictionary.com sucks.  It includes several colloquial definitions.

You'd get marked off on a paper here for spelling it humour, I'm pretty sure.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2007, 03:06:21 pm »
I think you're just being pedantic. :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2007, 03:07:26 pm »

There are certain things I'm very picky about.  One is exaggerating and saying things like "that was the stupidest thing I've ever seen," which is what started me going. :P

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2007, 03:09:45 pm »
In college, really?  I haven't had to write many papers that included this specific word, but I would think that a University that accepts students from all over the world wouldn't take points off for spelling it the Canadian way.  That'd be stupid IMO, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. 

There are certain things I'm very picky about.  One is exaggerating and saying things like "that was the stupidest thing I've ever seen," which is what started me going. :P
You'll get over it. :P
It includes several colloquial definitions.
You shouldn't ignore those definitions since those are the ones that usually change our formal langauge.  However, if you were writing something formal you shouldn't use those, but eventually those colloquial definitions will become formal.  The language is forever evolving.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 03:15:31 pm by AntiVirus »
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2007, 03:12:02 pm »
Not that this matters or is in any way related, but some guy on the history channel just used the word "happenstance" in a similair manner to circumstance. I looked it up and it has a similair definition, but it sounded really funny.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2007, 03:14:34 pm »
In college, really?  I haven't had to write many papers that included this specific word, but I would think that a University that accepts students from all over the world wouldn't take points off for spelling it the Canadian way.  That'd be stupid IMO, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. 

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't have to take any writing classes, so I guess it's up to you to find out. :P

You'll get over it. :P

You shouldn't ignore those definitions since those are the ones that usually change our formal langauge.  However, if you were writing something formal you shouldn't use those, but eventually those colloquial definitions will become formal.  The language is forever evolving.

I'm tempted to copy/paste the captain obvious picture.  I don't ignore colloquial definitions.  I just tend to avoid referencing them because they are just that: informal.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 03:20:35 pm by Sidoh »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 03:20:59 pm »
I'm pretty sure you'd get marked off on a paper here for spelling it "humor".

Of course, that practically defines "objective" :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 03:22:16 pm »
I'm pretty sure you'd get marked off on a paper here for spelling it "humor".

Of course, that practically defines "objective" :)

What's that all aboot?

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2007, 03:27:53 pm »

I'm tempted to copy/paste the captain obvious picture.  I don't ignore colloquial definitions.  I just tend to avoid referencing them because they are just that: informal.
The only reason I said that was to make sure you knew.  Sometimes I wonder if it's obvious for you.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2007, 03:37:26 pm »
The only reason I said that was to make sure you knew.  Sometimes I wonder if it's obvious for you.

::)

Hopefully what I just said showed you why I recommended against using dictionary.com.